Getting rich: You need to start from somewhere

I read all the best selling books on getting rich. They all advocate starting from some passive income with some safe investments. I have got a couple of lacs in savings. I am trying to decide between the following options: (please note I am not aiming to make quick money....but thinking long term)

1. Investment in Shares of multinationals (for a couple of years) that pay regular dividends

2. National Savings Certificates

3. Foreign currency deposit accounts that earn profits

They all are safe investments. I just need to know where my investment return would be highest over a period of couple of years.

I would really appreciate your suggestion.

If I, or even we did knew what the best option is, instead of telling you about which one amongst them is the best I would go invest my money in them as well :)

However , I have this feeling Foriegn currency deposit accounts won't be a success. I see the west struggling with themselves, Dollar and Pound are likely to be lower than what they are worth right now.

Have you thought about investing in Gold?

land owning/selling is the most popular investment in Pakistan it can double your money within short period (but don't do it in big cities where land mafia (kabza group) is active & strong)

^ It's too risky I believe, you never know what is going to happen in Pakistan.

Like if you live in Karachi you would know that the area near Pehlwangoth is built with 3-4 huge shopping malls with all the structure in place. Even a couple of residential apartment projects. However none of them are occupied and no one is willing to buy shops/apartments there.

The investors never knew that this area would turn out to be a mess in just a couple of years, I feel sorry for them. If you ever get to visit Karachi do check out this place, you would be shocked yourself. Beautiful shopping malls, just abandoned because of some idiots.

On another note the OP said he/she owns just a couple of lacs, I wonder where he can find land in big cities for that amount.

Well currently the best option would be sutta :P

Bet all your money on Pakistan in semi and you will get the double rate :) Trust me do it. Its all set. We are going to win in SEMIS.

Satta Rates For Semi Final

Pakistan 1:58

India 1:70

Above price are confirmed by Bookies, trust me.

^^ I saw these rates on Express News. :D

so please quickly post some contact numbers of of trusted bookies

Am waiting for your responses

^ Nope. Bookies cant manage to have that much of the rate ever !! The rates are for Pakistan its 10/3

For India its 10/7

For example if you pay 1000 and Pakistan wins you will get extra 300 and for India you will get extra 700.

Have you guyz visited betfair.com?

Today Mubashir Luqman was discussing it on Dunya News.

I visited it but did't got what they saying about Pak VS India match.

I tried to register on bet365 but it has some problem and I couild not register. By the rates you guys are saying, Pakistan is valued much more higher

No wonder ... cause we get derailed so easily :/

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I read all the best selling books on getting rich. They all advocate starting from some passive income with some safe investments. I have got a couple of lacs in savings. I am trying to decide between the following options: (please note I am not aiming to make quick money…but thinking long term)

1. Investment in Shares of multinationals (for a couple of years) that pay regular dividends

2. National Savings Certificates

3. Foreign currency deposit accounts that earn profits

They all are safe investments. I just need to know where my investment return would be highest over a period of couple of years.

I would really appreciate your suggestion.

[/quote]

Try doing business and be in control of the situation don’t let others to decide what to do with your money (this doesn’t mean don’t ask here in the forum to what to do).

If you invest 1 lac in business today, after 10 years, your 1 lac could turn into may be 25 or 50 but investing in banks could mean 5 lac with remaining 20 or 45 lac in bank’s pocket.

Thanks Zazzyo and Faisal.

Guys I wish I could tell you to create a new topic for betting information. :P

@ Faisal....with a couple of lacs I have, the only profitable business I can think of is opening shop selling Haleem or Channay.

Any ideas of low investment business would be much appreciated.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Thanks Zazzyo and Faisal.

Guys I wish I could tell you to create a new topic for betting information. :P

@ Faisal…with a couple of lacs I have, the only profitable business I can think of is opening shop selling Haleem or Channay.

Any ideas of low investment business would be much appreciated.

[/quote]

Do that. It’s very profitable business.

^ Well I am not an expert to give you any solid ideas plus 'couple of lac' could mean 2 to 99 lac and I don't what exactly you have but...

If you don't mind doing food business it can be very profitable if you can maintain the quality and the taste of food+ humans gotta eat you know so you won't be having a specific kind of customer base because we all have to eat.

I have a good example of savor foods. They started in committee chowk RWP, now they have expended to ISB also with serving thousands of ppl daily.

What kind of food point would you like to open depends on ppl living in your surroundings, their financial position, their eating habits or where ever you decide to open the business. If your in Lahore then your specially in luck cause Lahories are particularly fond of all kinds of food.

So yea... opening a food business could actually be a good and profitable start.

Yeah food business is a great idea.

Many thanks guys.

You are welcome, if you are still not content here are a couple of threads related to almost the same problem of yours, they may not follow the current market trends as they are an year or so old. However worth reading though.

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=184104

And this thread below deals with the Food business idea that my friend Faisal just gave above. Read the full thread, it goes quite humorous in the end :D

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=185473

fast food business is a great thing to start i personally know a guy in our region who returned from Denmark and he started Pizza rati in our city and he named it Pizza Hot with through out city delivery now his business is pretty awesome recently he import very expensive car

Start some thing different and unique

you are putting real money thats serious stuff, i'll tell you bluntly pakistan is a backward country not much investment prospects here and the safety of capital is very questionable, pakistani govt has the proven track record of rewarding individual successes by nationalizing their businesses, the pakistani govt has in the past seized dollar accounts in the name of national security which at the end was the biggest foriegn exchange scam in pakistan history. stock market is manipulated to the core, corruption is king, IF YOU INTENT TO MAKE MONEY THROUGH CORRUPT WAY PAKISTAN IS THE BEST PLACE.

there is nothing much here besides as the food as core entertainment for masses, eat out at restaurant then go to some other place for coffee etc may be eat ice cream thats it, so food business has some prospects and maybe buying real estate to sell it at higher price to some pakistani living abroad. thats all to it

lastly pakistanis who reside in pakistan have very limited horizon more like tunnel vision 'cause there is no infrastructure exist locally to broaden their horizon, you'll find patches of pakistani people like in this forum who may have higher general knowledge about things in the world due to knowledge gained through internet and thats about it. those who wants to better their lives are handicapped with as minor things as payment options from paypal as threads after threads show the desperation to overcome such a minor payment method locally in this day and age of commerce.

majority of big business are dominated by international and local family owned cartels, very monopolistic dominance leaves little room for entrepreneurship.

My suggestion would be to look internationally to invest money through mutual funds for starter. check out T Rowe Price Funds and Fidelity Investment Funds for starter. return could be 5% to 30% depending how you choose funds

I hope you do not mind this ..

^ Damn this post seriously needs to be copied to a Word processor and checked for grammatical mistakes. Seriously its a pain reading it like this.