GEO!should it be there?

I want to ask all of u that being the so-called greatest NEWS CHANNEL of pakistan,GEO,is this channel fully aware of the duties it should perform????

one word, Yes!

wth do u mean by DUTIES???

Hey i was thinking abt starting a topic abt geo new.. good thing you did :$.. I used to like this channle when it started out, it was pretty neutral, never misreported anything and now srsly i hate this channel.. they tend to overdo everything.. their hosts get personal with people.. not that i support some of these people, but as an anchor they shld be neutral. I hate it when they make a lame theme songs for every occasion.. Sad or happy, I hated those self victimization ads that were more torturing than the emergency itself. Their news channel has no quality control, some of the questions asked by anchors in live tv are so stupid i feel like flying to dubai and bit*h slappin them for being so naive and arrogant. You cant pass 5 minutes without getting the geo logo smacked into ur face 20 times. Switch on geo and u cant relate to almost 90% of the things airing on that channel , firgin gay indian inspired soaps one after another. Nude indian actors dancing in an award show thats happneing at a place i dun know abt, with people i dun care abt. Only ajj stand out in the crowd with their somewhat realistic reporting. This is just an observation.. geo isnt my primary soruce of information any more.:P

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

one word, Yes!
[/quote]

oops.u still think that GEo is projecing the right image in the whole world…not at all…just imagine what type of image geo is projecting to the whole world…

i dont understand the pysche of GEO…they keep on telecasting the indecent and i should say obscene things all the time…

what they think they are doing the right thing???not at all,sir…i want to quote the example of INDIAN MEDIA…just recall the IPL FIASCO when harbhajan slapped sreesanth!!!their media tried their best to conceal this thing from international media…they officially banned the footage of this fiasco and the license of the tv channels violating this would be cancelled.!!!thats called the MEDIA!!!..

now we come to GEO,how stupid and idiot they are that they keep on repeating the footage of WHIPPING and WHACKING of the former MINISTER…they should keep in mind the self-esteem of every body!!!plz GEO jeenay do!!!

^ The aim of the media should not be to cover things up. Theres enough of that going around already. The whole idea of free media is so they can bring the truth forward and expose it to inform the public. True the Pakistani media should try to promote a positive image of the country, but only where it is deserved. Why do you want to live in a fools paradise?

Your example of Indian media is exactly how media should NOT be!

@sah

yeah the media should reveal the truth..but FREEDOM OF SPEECH should only be in those countries where most of the people are literate and ahve the power of differentiation but sorry to say sah the people of pakistan are illiterate or should i be decent enough,the people of pakisatn are innocent!!!

geo is the huge cause of devastating the country's economy..

i just request one thing that GEO shouldnt frustrate the people by showing blood!!!

^ The aim of the media should not be to cover things up. Theres enough of that going around already. The whole idea of free media is so they can bring the truth forward and expose it to inform the public. True the Pakistani media should try to promote a positive image of the country, but only where it is deserved. Why do you want to live in a fools paradise?

Your example of Indian media is exactly how media should NOT be!

[/quote]

and one more thing sah that MEDIA of any country should be SUPPORTIVE rather ABORTIVE!!!

^ You have it the other way around. You're saying the media should NOT expose the truth because the people of Pakistan are illiterate. Shouldn't the solution to that problem be educating the public instead of hiding the facts of the country?

A country's progress is directly proportional to its citizens power. Knowledge is key to giving power to the masses. You need to create awareness so people know whats really going on in the country, so they can judge the right from the wrong. And if ministers getting whipped and whacked is whats going on in the country, then the people have a right to know about it!

until,the people are educated, hide the STARK realities of politics...

and the thing of ILLITERATE PEOPLE was said by ANWAR MAQSOOD in a seminar and i fully support him..

and u know what HAMID MIR,siting in that seminar,replied to his criticism.he said

"PAKISTAN KI AWAM JAHAL NAHIN BULKAY "SAMAJHDAAR" HAI..YAAD KARAIN JUB MUSLMANO NAY ENGLISH NA JANTAY HOAY BHI QUAID-E-AZAM KA SAATH DIYA AUR UNNN PAR AETMAAD KIYA AUR PAKISTAN HASIL KIYA..."

I just want to ask one thing that when musharraf came to the throne,even then PAKISTANI PEOPLE fully supported him and AETMAAD kiya uss par..but this time the result is mere catastrophe..the difference is quaideazam was a man of morals and the episode of musharraf was a betrayal!!

so sah,our people believe what is shown to them!!!they dont get into the details..

what all media channels nowadays are doing is that after spending say 40crore on launching of channel,they want to get 500 crore in return!!!!

they dont have concern what should be done and what shouldnt be!!!

^ You have it the other way around. You’re saying the media should NOT expose the truth because the people of Pakistan are illiterate. Shouldn’t the solution to that problem be educating the public instead of hiding the facts of the country?

A country’s progress is directly proportional to its citizens power. Knowledge is key to giving power to the masses. You need to create awareness so people know whats really going on in the country, so they can judge the right from the wrong. And if ministers getting whipped and whacked is whats going on in the country, then the people have a right to know about it!

[/quote]

But that’s not what geo is doing.They are basically exploiting everything.Something bad happens in Pakistan and their #$%^%$# talk shows and #$%^&# up cartoons start showing.GEO is a news channel and they should be neutral instead of anti or pro government.CJ Case=New Cartoons and Songs displaying on TV, same with Nawaz and Mush Case.

This is getting into politics so I'll stop my discussion here and give you my last thoughts on the subject. Freedom of media is a tricky thing. But it is a necessary 'evil' if you will. If you start censoring the media, there will be no end to it as there is no one to judge when 'enough is enough'.

What you want in a country is freedom of media, as well as the establishment of some kind of judiciary. The judiciary will be present to act as a check, to judge if the freedom is being abused. If someone falsely slanders, then he/she/the company should be sued, and the judge/jury given the responsibility of ascertaining who is right and who is wrong.

I for one wouldn't want to live in an environment where the information I receive is controlled and altered to fit an ulterior agenda/motive (even if it is to satisfy the dodgy concept of 'patriotism'). You are of course entitled to your opinion, but the media revolution is one of the more positive developments in Pakistan. It is of course in its infancy, so lets hope it matures into a more responsible entity. Lets agree to disagree, and let the matter rest! :)

I will allow the people above one final summarizing post after which I'll close this thread (since we want to avoid political discussions on this forum).

This is getting into politics so I’ll stop my discussion here and give you my last thoughts on the subject. Freedom of media is a tricky thing. But it is a necessary ‘evil’ if you will. If you start censoring the media, there will be no end to it as there is no one to judge when ‘enough is enough’.

What you want in a country is freedom of media, as well as the establishment of some kind of judiciary. The judiciary will be present to act as a check, to judge if the freedom is being abused. If someone falsely slanders, then he/she/the company should be sued, and the judge/jury given the responsibility of ascertaining who is right and who is wrong.

I for one wouldn’t want to live in an environment where the information I receive is controlled and altered to fit an ulterior agenda/motive (even if it is to satisfy the dodgy concept of ‘patriotism’). You are of course entitled to your opinion, but the media revolution is one of the more positive developments in Pakistan. It is of course in its infancy, so lets hope it matures into a more responsible entity. Lets agree to disagree, and let the matter rest! :)

I will allow the people above one final summarizing post after which I’ll close this thread (since we want to avoid political discussions on this forum).

[/quote]

Freedom of media is one thing but trying to be pro or anti government is wrong.I am not supporting GEO and there are other good news Channels…Yes report everything about Government but please don’t put your own personal opinion on it and that’s what geo does even on news.Talk Shows is different story.

GEO is the most __(put your fav curse word here)__ news channel in Pakistan.

If you want news, there are other better alternatives like ARY and Aaj.

There is no doubt GEO is the most popular news/entertainment network in Pakistan. People should decide if they want to watch a channel or not. If you don't like GEO, turn it off. But don't deny the rest of the people a chance to watch their favorite shows on GEO.

Having said that, I would recommend to GEO (and others) that they should behave professionally. Broadcasting rumours (like Musharraf has been thrown away) is very dangerous. Self censorship should be the order of the day.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH should only be in those countries where most of the people are literate and ahve the power of differentiation but sorry to say sah the people of pakistan are illiterate or should i be decent enough,the people of pakisatn are innocent!!!
[/quote]

Why do we (the educated elite) think we should rule over the uneducated? Who gives us the right to decide their future? If 65% of the people are illiterate, they are the largest consituency. The Prophet ran the govt in Madina and his companions were not educated.

Regarding Freedom of Speech, if you ask any investor, businessman, etc whether he thinks freedom of speech is good for his business or not, he will ALWAYS say that it is. Through freedom of speech, people vent their frustrations. If you dont allow it, people then vent their frustrations through other means including violence. Freedom of Speech is therefore needed for stability in a nation.

PS: When you buy a TV Set, I am sure you also get a gadget, called Remote Control, which is used to change the channel, you don't like. :)

I have stopped watching GEO altogether,

In the past i used to see them bringing a few politicians live then make them fight each other, it was cool to watch but i believe its wrong. They will do anything to get a large audience for their shows.

I read somewhere that the western media has some self censorship and will not broadcast news which they may believe will start a panic in the public or may be damaging to their countries interest. But in geo there is no such thing.

Ah and i saw in another talk show in ARY or some other channel where the anchor said that GEO had boasted to them that they are so powerfull that they can even topple the government if they want to.

I also heard rumors that one of their hosts Hamid Mir was making way in order to stand in the next elections to become an MNA. Their other host Dr. shahid masood (i really liked this guy till he was in ary) has no boss, he is, i dont know the director of what so he is his own boss. Basically he can say anything when he comes on air and no one can stop him.

*edit: one of the main reasons everyone in pakistan has a low morale, no sense of security + no hope is coz of geo i think