Gates promises 'multi-touch' Windows 7

Gates promises 'multi-touch' Windows 7

Windows 7, the successor to the much-criticised Windows Vista, will come with multi-touch features that Microsoft chairman Bill Gates predicts will ultimately replace the mouse.

Due for release in 2010, Windows 7 will come with a touch-screen interface that will allow users to enlarge and shrink photos, trace routes on maps, paint pictures or even play the piano.

Gates said at the All Things Digital conference in San Diego in the countdown to his July departure from the company that Windows 7 would embrace new forms of communication and interaction.

"The way you interact with the system will change dramatically," he said. " Today almost all the interaction is keyboard-mouse. Over the years to come, the role of speech, vision, ink - all of those things - will be huge."

In contrast to the heavy pre-launch hype surrounding Vista, Microsoft has so far revealed little about the company's next operating system.

Gates was joined by chief executive Steve Ballmer who described the multi-touch screen demonstration as "just a smallest snippet" of Windows 7.

Ballmer also said he was aiming for Windows 7 "to do better" than Windows Vista.

Ballmer claimed that Microsoft has sold 150 million copies of Vista since its launch in January 2007.

Source

I really see no use of a touch screen OS for the home user, and I don't understand why they're pushing it.

i think its duplicate thread :) was posted here before

btw it is useless, yet another hardware upgrade to take advantage and a costly one too

will windows 7 be like the microsoft surface

coz i thought that was just crap

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

“The way you interact with the system will change dramatically,” he said. " Today almost all the interaction is keyboard-mouse. Over the years to come, the role of speech, vision, ink - all of those things - will be huge."
[/quote]

this is important, they are thinking about the future.

Microsoft surface still has some advantages for commercial/marketing applications for example in shops or malls.

How will a touch screen OS change the way I use my computer at home? I don't see giving up my mouse and keyboard unless they come up with an OS + computer system like the one shown in Minority Report!

To address the different areas:

Speech: Has anyone here tried speech recognition software? They're pretty inaccurate and downright frustrating to use. I wouldn't give up my keyboard any time soon!

Vision: I'm not sure what this means....

Ink: There are very few situations in which a user needs to handwrite something. I personally never had to, and I'll never want to replace writing whole documents by hand instead of keyboard. Typing is faster and less tiring!

@SaadIbrahim: I did a search, and it didn't show anything on this topic on this forum. And I don't remember reading a similar thread either... :/

@SaadIbrahim: I did a search, and it didn’t show anything on this topic on this forum. And I don’t remember reading a similar thread either… :confused:
[/quote]

Ohk must be my wahem

cheers don’t mind

btw :confused: what does this emoticon means? :D

sah: :-/ = :confused: = uncertain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon)

will windows 7 be like the microsoft surface

coz i thought that was just crap

[/quote]

lol exactly my thoughts

have you seen the microsoft surface ad’s parody?

lol exactly my thoughts

have you seen the microsoft surface ad’s parody?

[/quote]

hahha nice 1

what about the hardware, dont you need a touch screen monitor for that and they are expensive new...although i hav seen a few 2nd hand onces..

For touch screen OS we must have touchable screen or whatever it is name.

For touch screen OS we must have touchable screen or whatever it is name.
[/quote]

yeah and that is expensive

i think Microsoft is giving another shot to its failed tablet pc OS

So Microsft gona change name of tablet PC OS and sell it with new name which enable hardware seller to make more money out of it.

So Microsft gona change name of tablet PC OS and sell it with new name which enable hardware seller to make more money out of it.
[/quote]

yeah but the thing is this new OS will have kinda of a Vista look

but it will still be crap coz it will be too expensive

[/quote]

and same with lot of virues attacks, require reinstallation now and than, more fast harware requirment etc…

[/quote]

Whats wrong with Vista Look :/…Also this is a new technology and its a good thing that they are testing new technologies…and you want everything for free?:D

Whats wrong with Vista Look :/…Also this is a new technology and its a good thing that they are testing new technologies…and you want everything for free?:D
[/quote]

I respect Microsoft’s right to charge for its product. Just don’t see the use of these ‘new technologies’ in day to day computing. Can you? How will a touch screen make things better?

[/quote]

i want software to be free but think of it this way did the tablet pc succed it didnt so why is microsoft repeating the same thing that it already failed at?

I respect Microsoft’s right to charge for its product. Just don’t see the use of these ‘new technologies’ in day to day computing. Can you? How will a touch screen make things better?

[/quote]

What the price they charges, it is too much atleast for ordinary Pakistanis. And for ordinary work like viewing movie, using M.S. Office, net etc… than Windows 98 good.

What you say, Do whe need Vista or higher technology for ordinary work?

[/quote]

Who knows man…Few years ago no one thought that every home will have computer and now everyone is using computer so maybe they will add nice features in touch screen, also this technology is still in initial stages so i am sure it will be better after couple of years.

What the price they charges, it is too much atleast for ordinary Pakistanis. And for ordinary work like viewing movie, using M.S. Office, net etc… than Windows 98 good.

What you say, Do whe need Vista or higher technology for ordinary work?

[/quote]

well if all u want to do is watch movies and use MS office and the net linux is the best OS for me

much better than 98 i even think its better than Vista but i know alot of ppl will disagree with me