Gap year advice..?

Well ive completed my A levels this summer and had been busy sitting for entry test for different unis here in Pakistan. However admissions for A-levels students is a problem as we get a biased equilancy and the entry tests are based on Intermediate/Fsc syllabus.

Therefore i did not get a place in a any engineering university so far and im planning to try applying again next year with full preperation of entry tests. I have a year in my hand now .. what shall i do? please give me any guidance if you can so i can get something out of this time instead of wasting it.

Master C++!

you haven't told about which disciplines you are planning to target.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Well ive completed my A levels this summer and had been busy sitting for entry test for different unis here in Pakistan. However admissions for A-levels students is a problem as we get a biased equilancy and the entry tests are based on Intermediate/Fsc syllabus.

Therefore i did not get a place in a any engineering university so far and im planning to try applying again next year with full preperation of entry tests. I have a year in my hand now … what shall i do? please give me any guidance if you can so i can get something out of this time instead of wasting it.

[/quote]

dont sit at home…

take admission in any proper discipline like BBA or bsc honors etc…

please dont sit at home and say i ll prepare by myself…

that doesnt happen…

by the time entry tests start next year your brain will be rusted… so keep it running by joining some proper discipline anywhere…

abdulsalim.. by disciplines u mean? I am planning to go for engineering.. if that's what you are asking.

Shoukat.. How can i do BBA or BSc in one year...? is that possible?.. besides i will be taking academies for ECAT prep from the start of next year or probably by the end of this year.. so i wont be rusting my brains.

I was planning to apply for a voluntary placement somewhere.. which would be an good addition to my CV... does agha khan have such opportunities during winter ? or any other organisation?

what kind of engineering ? mechanical, civil, aeronautical, aerospace, electrical (power , telecom, electronics , computer) ??

Hmm gud ques.. but dunt know the answer :D.. i have interest in like everything.. but here in pak it all depends where u are on the merit list .. which determines ur field... so im still confused..

Well im stuck in a dilemma ovr here .. I have shortlisted to the following things i can spend my time on.. Wa do u rekon wud be the most suitable if i want to have a career in Mechanical or Elec Engineering?

- Doing Volunteership at Aga Khan Hospital for three months

- Or working in a call center as an agent??

- err.. Or is there any gud engineering related company which wud hire an internee?? I dont want to get paid or anything just want something intersting and useful out of this time.

^ None of those options would benefit you:

1. Volunteering might be good for soul and may look nice on your resume. But it won't help you career wise.

2. Working as a call center agent might make you some money, but I hear its an annoying and frustrating job and it won't help you career wise.

3. Generally Pakistani companies don't appreciate the value of interns. I haven't heard many people with good internship experiences. Might look good on your resume but it won't help you career wise.

The most useful activity I can suggest is doing some kind of project. A substantial one if you'll be free for a whole year. Pick something that interests you and is preferably multi-disciplinary e.g. incorporates mechnical, electrical and software design. It might even help you decide on the specific field you want to go in to.

If you want to get either Mechanical or Electrical in a good engineering university, you need to clear your concepts in maths, physics and chemistry and work hard on these subjects. Moreover, you need to have a very good score in FSc as well if you are applying for government unis (UET) because they give a high weightage to damn fsc marks!!

Incase of NUST there is 15% fsc weightage n 10% matric, while in GIKI, only 100% entry test counts, which is great.

Apply to all unis, even third class ones. Get good grades on first year then transfer to another good uni. This way you wont be wasting time and you will end up with a degree from a reputed place.

If this aint possible, then go to youtube and search for engg courses by indian unis. All their lectures are uploaded and are upto standard.

Avoid third grade unis. Transfer to the good ones is virtually impossible. I'd say, concentrate on your course, be very clear with the concepts. Get good marks in tests ! what are your equivalent marks ? and to what unis did you apply?

Its like i hav an equivilancy of 811 marks when converting my A lvls grades.. I had applied in NUST, UET Lahore (i am punjab domiciled) and PIEAS .. However I havent got admission into any so far.. This is probably because i seriously did not prepare for the entry test like i should have. I also don't want to get stuck in a third grade uni and waste my energy and resources.. instead i want to work hard for getting in NUST cuz i am confident i will get in next year since i got at about 6000 merit list of NUST without studying for the test.

As i am still 18 I am not ashamed of taking a gap year because i was already running fast in my studies (compared to otha A-lvls students..) nd i can spare a year without any problem ..

I am improving on my Maths this november to get an A grade INSHALLAH. So i wud be free 3 Nov onwards.. I am certain for going abroad after my bachelors.. or I may do bachelors from abroad aswell.... Therefore i want to present my Gap year in a good manner, so when I go for a Job abroad they dont ask me why i wasted one whole year after doing my A-lvls from a well-reputed school. In other words.. yes i want some glitter for my resume/CV :)

3. Generally Pakistani companies don’t appreciate the value of interns. I haven’t heard many people with good internship experiences. Might look good on your resume but it won’t help you career wise.

[/quote]

yes i am aware of the situation in Pak, but im working towards a career where i want to work/live abroad…

^ If you want to work abroad, then definitely do a good side project. That counts more than anything else you could do. Big name companies look good on your resume but at the end of the day, employers care about what you can actually do. I've studied in Canada and am working/living here so I know what I'm talking about! :)

Your marks are not enough for UET Lahore, as they give 70% weightage to it. With these marks, to get Electrical or Mechanical is very difficult there.

Yes try again next year for NUST and you will make it inshAllah. But then again, for electrical/mechanical you'll have to perform really extraordinary in the test because there is weightage given to fsc / a level marks and many students have 86%+ :P

If you can, get into GIKI - Its the best in Pakistan for engineering. Their test is totally conceptual and you won't have to rattalize anything. Many students with A Levels background get into GIKI. The only problem is its quite expensive! around 3 lacs per year for tuition + lodging. But the studies and environment is world class :)

Another option is LUMS SSE. Again their test is conceptual. But LUMS only recently started engineering programs.

^ If you want to work abroad, then definitely do a good side project. That counts more than anything else you could do. Big name companies look good on your resume but at the end of the day, employers care about what you can actually do. I’ve studied in Canada and am working/living here so I know what I’m talking about! :)
[/quote]

What exactly is the project supposed to be like? I have never done something by myself unless i am given an objective to do so… so how can one do something without any purpose? Please enlighten me on this.

Your marks are not enough for UET Lahore, as they give 70% weightage to it. With these marks, to get Electrical or Mechanical is very difficult there.

Yes try again next year for NUST and you will make it inshAllah. But then again, for electrical/mechanical you’ll have to perform really extraordinary in the test because there is weightage given to fsc / a level marks and many students have 86%+ :P

If you can, get into GIKI - Its the best in Pakistan for engineering. Their test is totally conceptual and you won’t have to rattalize anything. Many students with A Levels background get into GIKI. The only problem is its quite expensive! around 3 lacs per year for tuition + lodging. But the studies and environment is world class :)

Another option is LUMS SSE. Again their test is conceptual. But LUMS only recently started engineering programs.

[/quote]

Yes i know UET is an impossibility for me with this equivilancy score. I cant even make it into Civil engineering UET Lhr even if i score 350/400 next year in the entry test. I have heard that Mechanical and Electrical is relatively easier to get in at PNEC Karachi NUST than in EME Rawalpindi. As for GIK, my parents are saying tht wud be the last place where they wud send me for engineering cuz it is based in such an isolated place near Peshawer…

Like i said, If i am not able to make it somewhere in Pakistan i have the option to go abroad to any affordable institiution. I have thought of this uni called Assumption university in Thailand, It sound good and is affordable… but i am still uncertain about it … so im doing my research on it. UK and Canada is another place i want to go to , but there are not any affordable unis there :(

What exactly is the project supposed to be like? I have never done something by myself unless i am given an objective to do so… so how can one do something without any purpose? Please enlighten me on this.
[/quote]

The project can be anything and everything. Its all up to you. Identify your interests, set your own goals and objectives, and just do. If you like software, make some sort of application. If you like electronics, look into circuitry related projects. And so on and on.

As an example, which I’ve given before. This guy was in my class and he did a lot of side projects which he later documented on his website: http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/

Companies were clamoring for him and he turned down quite a few offers. That is the kind of stuff employers like to see especially in employees being hired for a technical position.

Yes i know UET is an impossibility for me with this equivilancy score. I cant even make it into Civil engineering UET Lhr even if i score 350/400 next year in the entry test. I have heard that Mechanical and Electrical is relatively easier to get in at PNEC Karachi NUST than in EME Rawalpindi. As for GIK, my parents are saying tht wud be the last place where they wud send me for engineering cuz it is based in such an isolated place near Peshawer…

Like i said, If i am not able to make it somewhere in Pakistan i have the option to go abroad to any affordable institiution. I have thought of this uni called Assumption university in Thailand, It sound good and is affordable… but i am still uncertain about it … so im doing my research on it. UK and Canada is another place i want to go to , but there are not any affordable unis there :(

[/quote]

Yes, PNEC’s merit is very much lower than that of EME’s. Make sure to give it first preference in the form if you want to get into PNEC.

As for location of GIKI, that’s not a problem at all. It has a big and beautiful campus and is a small city of its own. Plus its very peaceful as well! Much more than Karachi :) If you manage to get in, you’ll enjoy your four years a lot. And your degree will have value as well.

I’d suggest you do the bachelors from a good university in Pakistan, and go for MS abroad. But if you do manage to get admission in a good university abroad and finances are not a problem, go for it.