Galaxy Nexus - Whats your take?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hands-on/

Engadget has done a hands on of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the newest flagship Android phone. I feel underwhelmed, Google is more and more moving towards a geeky UI with every version. Its just not for every one. They are really reducing their consumer base with this kind of UI.

Whats your take on it?

[quote=“rnathbatra, post:, topic:”]

Google is more and more moving towards a geeky UI with every version. Its just not for every one. They are really reducing their consumer base with this kind of UI.

[/quote]

Kindly explain this “geeky UI” term. Actually, I’ve read “android is for geeks” and similar stuff on the internet quite a few times. But whenever I’ve used android (froyo - gingerbread), I’ve just failed to understand its “geekness”. And that’s because I do everything I want to do on my android phone and I am, by no means, a geek!

So, I’d be glad if you could just explain your point. :)

First off. I consider Samsung's Touchwiz to be a non geeky UI, if that helps in clarifying my point.

Also the default interface of Android is geeky because of the following reasons:

- The use of the colors, i mean why everything is black or blue. Why not use some lighter colors. The samsung galaxy nexus feels like a phone out of a Tron movie or something. It was bearable till Gingerbread 2.3 but with 4.0 they have really made it even horrible.

- The transitions - they have worked on these 4.0 but they are still inconsistent throughout the OS.

- There are no standard icons for things like back, forward, refresh, add, delete throughout the OS. Android should have standard icons and should also ask developers to use standard icons when developing their apps so that using the phone feels like a unified experience.

- There are no subtle hints throughout the OS helping you to navigate.

- Have you looked at the text buttons used throughout the OS, they are so ugly!

- Terrible browser. This is from a company that makes the best browser on the desktop. Even the browser on the fledgling Windows Phone platform is 10 times better than the Android browser.

- Too many progress bars and tap to hold operations.

- No desktop sync software like iTunes or Zune. I have seen several people complaining about this.

Not to mention the naming scheme, the OS itself is called Android (which is geeky). The font used in Android 4.0 is called Robotto (really??)

However, i do think that Android really nailed the notification system. That is one of best feature of Android UI.

This is just a small list but I hope it makes my point clear. And i think that the biggest reason Android tablets didnt take off as well as expected because regular people just couldn't connect with the UI of Honeycomb.

Key Features of Google Nexus Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich:-

Android Beam: Making Payments in departmental store

Face Unlock: You can unlock your phone with you face picture

Voice Typing: Which make ease to customer typing by voice

Specifications of Google Nexus

Screen Display Size: 4.65 inch HD LED screen with resolution of 1280 x 720

Processor: 1.2 GHZ Dual Core processor

Camera Resolution: The Rear camera resolution is 5MP

Front Camera: Front camera is 1.3 for video calling

Picture Camera : Continuous picture taking shot and with auto focus,

LED: LED flash light

Video Camera: Video recording is very good with 1080 pixel

MEMORY: The RAM is 1 GB

Storage memory: 32GB

Connectivity : WiFi, Bluetooth,

USB: Micro USB

Sensors: Accelerometer, Proximity, Barometer

more information you can check on this website : http://oslerwater.blogspot.com/2011/11/google-samsung-galaxy-nexus-full.html

The Nexus looks brilliant. It seems that Android has finally caught up to and even surpassed IOS in many aspects.

See this review: http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review

TBH, the Galaxy Nexus seems like a device that's very tempting for the eyes and hands.

I read somewhere that the GPU benchmark for the GN is behind S2 and the iPhone 4S, but beat other phones in all other aspects (forgot which ones - there were three charts). The S2 beat the GN on the GPU marks - came on third place. Not very, very far from the second or first place.

You should note that Apple's interface has always had GPU acceleration enabled. Android only ventured into GPU acceleration from ICS. Tegra-2 devices may sport better benchmarks w/o GPU acceleration because... it's Tegra 2!

Or maybe - it scored lower because ICS is already graphics-heavy? (wild thought).

Either way, I think the phone will be kickass with the passage of time.

No external memory support reduce its prospects quite a bit. :(

[quote=“Asad, post:7, topic:16020”]

No external memory support reduce its prospects quite a bit. :(

[/quote]

Actually thats the one of the things that Google has finally done right. Now the OS will be optimized for built in memory instead of relying too much on external memory cards. Memory cards are great but they must be used as a secondary memory instead of installing most of the apps on them. IMHO, memory cards should be used for storing things like movies, music and other media. They shouldn’t :

- have apps on them - apps run very slow off a memory card

- be used for storing pictures taken with a camera - again writing to a memory card is slower.

I remember having an Android phone which had only 150 mb of built in memory and I installed a 2 gb card in it. Most of the time the built in memory would run out and i would get error messages that new SMSes cannot be saved since there is low memory! :(

Core programs needing faster access can always be installed on the internal memory. However, the internal memory can not be increased to a suitable level without making the price of the device exorbitantly high.

You can get a class 10 memory card and feel NO difference between the internal memory and the external memory. Class 6 cards, they say, are just as good.

I've never used up the entire 4GB on my memory card; 16GB would be more than sufficient for me.

^ I just read somewhere that Android 4.0 has a new file system which is optimized for internal storage and it does not allow USB Mass Storage mode. So memory cards now can be accessed in that mode only.

^ Link?

"Unfortunately -- and unlike Gingerbread -- Ice Cream Sandwich only supports USB Mass Storage on removable media, leaving MTP and PTP as the only options to transfer content to / from the phone via USB"

http://www.engadget....us-hspa-review/

The guy doing the review also mentions it in the video embedded into the review

[quote=“rnathbatra, post:13, topic:16020”]

“Unfortunately – and unlike Gingerbread – Ice Cream Sandwich only supports USB Mass Storage on removable media, leaving MTP and PTP as the only options to transfer content to / from the phone via USB”

http://www.engadget…us-hspa-review/

The guy doing the review also mentions it in the video embedded into the review

[/quote]

Link: http://www.reddit.co…b_mass_storage/

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
ICS supports USB Mass Storage (UMS). The Galaxy Nexus does not. This is the same scenario as Honeycomb, as for instance HC supports USB Mass Storage while Xoom does not.

If a given device has a removable SD card it will support USB Mass Storage. If it has only built-in storage (like Xoom and Galaxy Nexus) it will (usually) support only MTP and PTP.

It isn’t physically possible to support UMS on devices that don’t have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time.

With the unified storage model we introduced in Honeycomb, we share your full 32GB (or 16GB or whatever) between app data and media data. That is, no more staring sadly at your 5GB free on Nexus S when your internal app data partition has filled up – it’s all one big happy volume.

However the cost is that Android can no longer ever yield up the storage for the host PC to molest directly over USB. Instead we use MTP. On Windows (which the majority of users use), it has built-in MTP support in Explorer that makes it look exactly like a disk. On Linux and Mac it’s sadly not as easy, but I have confidence that we’ll see some work to make this better.

On the whole it’s a much better experience on the phone.

[/quote]

Pretty interesting.

Cliff notes: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11/18/impromptu-qa-session-with-android-engineer-dan-morrill-brings-to-light-reasons-behind-galaxy-nexus-lack-of-usb-mass-storage/

^ Definitely interesting. Although I think 16 GB is quite good for an average user. For hard core users, Samsung should bring out multiple version of the same phone with different flash memory configurations.

16GB is nothing when you start recording 1080p video. :)

Just saw this video of Galaxy Nexus with ICS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hU0xs0V-XY&feature=feedu

Very laggy IMHO. Live Wallpapers still not optimized!

The first comment on the video says

"

NOTE TO REVIEWERS EVERYWHERE: Don't use live wallpapers while reviewing... it's a very stupid move on your part, unless you want to make the phone look bad. When phones like the iPhone can't do live wallpapers at all get reviewed, people are amazed at how smooth it is. When you make a review about a phone like this and use one of the two live wallpapers that AREN'T optimized, it attracts trolls everywhere. Just make it even... don't use one."

So... I hope that answers your question. Do you think the phone can play a video in the background AND be responsive all the time doing other things? It's one or the other, not both. Live Wallpapers, unless subtle, always have impacted the phone's responsiveness. I generally don't use live wallpapers so that my phone can remain smooth. There are some live wallpapers (like HTC's) which look good and let keep the phone remain responsive.

In short - live wallpapers have always been processor-intensive. And the more items you have on your desktop (i.e. widgets), the slower the navigation. Otherwise, ICS is just as fast as Gingerbread, if not faster. Another thing I noted is that the screen-off animation isn't working, and a few other animations are jerky - which makes me think the phone's working in the background as well.

Think of it like a scootie (no-frills) vs. Ferrari (heavily customizable). The more you customize, the greater the chances of a potential slowdown, like a computer.

^ I read that comment as well. And my point here in the post was the same as well. I only focused on that particular part of the UI i.e. Google still hasn't optimized Live Wallpapers after three revision of their OS. They perform quite well on Honeycomb tablets with the same processors but still not on the phone.

And ferrari is one of the fastest cars in the world so that analogy is not correct.

This is a much better review of the phone: