From where to purchase Wireless Device (Walkie Talkie)

AoA,

I want to purchase a wireless device (Walkie Talkie) that police and security company used for communication. I am looking for a good quality brand for my personal use. My budget is 4 to 5k.

I am from Lahore. Any proper market for that? I have visited Brandreth road but no success.

Thanks in advance.

You may find it from shops that sell camping and other outdoor activity gear.

You can also ask around at various shops on Hall Road.

Thanks for fast reply. any particular shop? even in isblamabad? online shop? asking here and there is difficult in Roza thats why i was looking for a specific market / shop.

These are not available on Hall Road in Lahore. You can buy these in Karkhano Market in Peshawar.

4-5K is very low. You should aim for 25K.

Aurangzeb

[quote=“uzair82, post:3, topic:21307”]

Thanks for fast reply. any particular shop? even in isblamabad? online shop? asking here and there is difficult in Roza thats why i was looking for a specific market / shop.

[/quote]

Gown House on Murree Road might have it. Also try online on OLX, etc.

You can buy these children's use ones at most toy stores for under 500 PKR... They're okay for casual usage.

Using walki talki without permit is illegal.

Very right mfa6464!!

What is the range (distance) you want it to support?

Permit from where?

I am looking for 500m. Thats not that much. I believe i can get on in this range. New or used one.

Das dayo yaar :)

OK one straight forward question. If i order a walkie talkie set from aliexpress.com (that offer direct shipment at home and i have already purchased and received many items from it) Will it stuck in customs? do i need to show them any permit? who will give this permit ? PTA???

Please reply if anyone knows.

Give a try, p@ki customs is all at luck, you may get it or not

[quote=“uzair82, post:11, topic:21307”]

Will it stuck in customs? do i need to show them any permit? who will give this permit ? PTA???

Please reply if anyone knows.

[/quote]

Yes x 3.

"Do not order from abroad" , Customs will not only confesticate it but also send your details to the ISI and they will inturn send you a show cause notice asking you why you should not be prosecuted.

You may think that I am talking out of my arse but unfortunately I am not. I know my stuff very well.

If this is just point to point communication you need this far then there are other solutions that may come handy. Another argument against such a wireless set is that it is unsecure and any one can tap into your conversations. How ever unconfidential your conversations may be but I am sure you dont want others eves dropping right?

For a point to point solution you would need to spend some 4-5k provided there is clear line of sight. You can set up a 2.4Ghz network or a 5.8 if the distance is too much and then have a local wifi network at both ends. Then pick up any voip solution that also works on LAN (there must be plenty that do not need any transit and would work fine on peering within the network). Yes you would need an android at each end and when I say 4-5K I am assuming that you already have one wifi router and have two mobile phones that need to be used one at each end.

A 5.8Ghz set up would work fairly smoothly at 3-4 Kilometres with "jugaad" equipment but if you need stability and your stuff is mission critical then your expenses will sky rocket. A BST alone would cost Rs1.5Lakh + some other tit bits to go with it.

[quote=“uzair82, post:10, topic:21307”]

Permit from where?

I am looking for 500m. Thats not that much. I believe i can get on in this range. New or used one.

[/quote]

I think for range you can get toy walk talkies. No need for a permit AFAIK

Check out the link below.

http://www.pta.gov.pk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=466%3Aamateur-wireless-license&catid=138%3Aguidelines&Itemid=349

I have a licence. My call sign is AP2AUH. The hobby is called Amateur Radio or Ham Radio.

Pakistan is a signatory to an international convention which specifies the wireless frequencies that can be used without licence. Mostly it is the 49 MHz band and is used extensively by cordless telephones. There are other bands also in the 900 MHz range. Some manufacturers do sell equipment using these bands. However with the advent of mobile telephone all these have become almost redundant. These are not easily available locally. I have seen one pair of such walkie talkies by Motorolla.

A youtube video showing a radio conversation between two Pakistani Hams using short wave is (youtube.com/watch?v=-hMxvxQdOtY)

The Pakistan Amateur Radio Society website seems to be offline. Cached link is given below.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gmq6JtuQ5_QJ:www.pakhams.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=pk

Aurangzeb

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:16, topic:21307”]

Check out the link below.

http://www.pta.gov.pk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=466%3Aamateur-wireless-license&catid=138%3Aguidelines&Itemid=349

I have a licence. My call sign is AP2AUH. The hobby is called Amateur Radio or Ham Radio.

Pakistan is a signatory to an international convention which specifies the wireless frequencies that can be used without licence. Mostly it is the 49 MHz band and is used extensively by cordless telephones. There are other bands also in the 900 MHz range. Some manufacturers do sell equipment using these bands. However with the advent of mobile telephone all these have become almost redundant. These are not easily available locally. I have seen one pair of such walkie talkies by Motorolla.

A youtube video showing a radio conversation between two Pakistani Hams using short wave is (youtube.com/watch?v=-hMxvxQdOtY)

The Pakistan Amateur Radio Society website seems to be offline. Cached link is given below.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gmq6JtuQ5_QJ:www.pakhams.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=pk

Aurangzeb

[/quote]

I always wondered what this alphanumeric username meant. How do you get a particular callsign ?

Try showing that link to the thulla that knocks your door when you have a parcel. Dont forget to update us on how it went.

[quote=", post:18, topic:21307"]

Try showing that link to the thulla that knocks your door when you have a parcel. Dont forget to update us on how it went.

[/quote]

you need

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The applicant is required to submit proposal comprising of two sets whereas each set must contain the following documents:

1. Letter of intent
Application Processing Fee of Rs. 100 payable to PTA
National Identity Card.
Two passport size photographs of the applicant.
List of equipment including lay-out sketch of the antenna.
Sketch of the exact geographical location so that the station is easily approachable by the PTA Inspector.
Any other certificate/testimonial which can support the case for grant of Amateur License.
Certificate of clearance of antecedents from the local Police.
Proof of membership of Pakistan Amateur Radio Society (PARS).
Certificate of recommendations from PARS for grant of license.
[/quote]

Thanks everyone for your interest and suggessions especially @aurangzebhaque, @yousuf465 and @Shamsheer e Kashmir.

Actually we are bunch of bikers who like to travel and explore the country on motorbikes. We need this walkie talkie to communicate during our tours. It would double the fun and very much necessary as well. So it won't be a stationary device we'll use it during our tours. So i need it to be 100% legal so we won't get in a trouble by any police man. Its pretty much common in India many biker groups use it. I know there is difference between Indian laws and ours. I don't think that toy walkie talkie gonna work. I guess we need a professional brand that is durable as well

This amature licence thingi is pretty interesting does it apply on the setup i am looking for? If it does should i get this permit before i order for the device? The shipment approximately takes 30 to 45 days to arrive.

One thing is clear we don't want to run into trouble by doing something that is illegal but if there is a Legal way to get walky talkies we'll surely adopt it.

Waiting for more details and suggesstions from you guys.