Fridge Compressor as Sui Gas Pump

I was desparatly looking for solution for Low or almost no gas pressure ,
Fridge Compressors are being rumoured as unsafe in news papers and some posts in this forum but noone has provided the details or logic i.e why it is dangerous when no gas is being stored inside
compressor

So

Can anyone provide some technical details why it is dangerous to install a fridge compressor as Gas pump???

Local news

People of Pakistan resort to dangerous gas pumping devices for their homes as govt sits idle

There is also an instructable avaliable for this procedure and no where it is mentioned that it is dangerous

Making A Fridge Compressor Into A Vacuum Pump

FCXLF0NFU6M05AB.LARGE.jpg

you will experience it yourself when it will explode :D

Its dangerous because if its pumping more gas and usage is less then pressure is created and chances of blow are more. I remember couple of years ago I saw a DIY compressor in which the guy used injections and tubes fitted on a wooden board which were used to press a switch as pressure increases and injection opens and it pushes the switch to turn off the compressor. there was a spring also used so that when pressure subsides, it will pull back the injection and compressor will start again :)

Electric motors when running produces heat which needs to be removed.

Refrigeration Compressors (fridge, freezer, air conditioner - compressors) have their motors inside the black-shell. Under normal refrigeration process the motor-winding is being cooled with the cold gas coming into the compressor.

Remove the cool gas coming into the compressor, you will have high motor temperature, high enough temperature and the insulation breaks down from copper winding; might end up having sparks.

Provide flammable gas with heat and sparks; and ... poof.

Best way to die and more surprisingly you will be featured in newspaper page next morning

[quote=“nasirjavaid, post:3, topic:21773”]

Its dangerous because if its pumping more gas and usage is less then pressure is created and chances of blow are more. I remember couple of years ago I saw a DIY compressor in which the guy used injections and tubes fitted on a wooden board which were used to press a switch as pressure increases and injection opens and it pushes the switch to turn off the compressor. there was a spring also used so that when pressure subsides, it will pull back the injection and compressor will start again :)

[/quote]

[quote="enlightened, post:4, topic:21773"]

Refrigeration Compressors (fridge, freezer, air conditioner - compressors) have their motors inside the black-shell. Under normal refrigeration process the motor-winding is being cooled with the cold gas coming into the compressor.

Remove the cool gas coming into the compressor, you will have high motor temperature, high enough temperature and the insulation breaks down from copper winding; might end up having sparks.

[/quote]

Thank you guys for taking it seriously all I was looking for is to know reason why it is dangerous ..... And details you provided pretty much make sense .............

YES you can use it (but with care only) some points u need to Remember while using .

place the compressor in an open area where AIR can touch n pass on the compressor to make it cool (avoid rain / etc) then place an OVER LOAD (a device which is easily available from the compressors shop and attach that with the compressor.

The close the AIR INTAKE (oxygen intake) on your MAIN LINE just below the gas meter With any thing like Plasticine / AATA , tape etc there should not b any oxygen in the gas when it reaches the compressor This is the most important part to b remembered.

u need to install another small pump for Air to mix in the gas AFTER THE COMPRESSOR .

more over ,

the better Idea is to install a smallest donkey pump in the line (yes it will work for sure) i have seen this in the interior punjab on a visit . it will not blow / it will not burst but the running time should not b more than n hour .

always turn off the pump when the gas is not in use . also apply the valve in suction side of the pump to manage the suction amount from the line .

Never turn off completely this valve when pump is running .

PS : above mention all the processes are JUGAAR

The best and safest thing is to use Electric stoves (hot plates) or use gas cylinders .

[quote=“nadeem5476, post:7, topic:21773”]

YES you can use it (but with care only) some points u need to Remember while using .

place the compressor in an open area where AIR can touch n pass on the compressor to make it cool (avoid rain / etc) then place an OVER LOAD (a device which is easily available from the compressors shop and attach that with the compressor.

The close the AIR INTAKE (oxygen intake) on your MAIN LINE just below the gas meter With any thing like Plasticine / AATA , tape etc there should not b any oxygen in the gas when it reaches the compressor This is the most important part to b remembered.

u need to install another small pump for Air to mix in the gas AFTER THE COMPRESSOR .

more over ,

the better Idea is to install a smallest donkey pump in the line (yes it will work for sure) i have seen this in the interior punjab on a visit . it will not blow / it will not burst but the running time should not b more than n hour .

always turn off the pump when the gas is not in use . also apply the valve in suction side of the pump to manage the suction amount from the line .

Never turn off completely this valve when pump is running .

PS : above mention all the processes are JUGAAR

The best and safest thing is to use Electric stoves (hot plates) or use gas cylinders .

[/quote]

thanks for detailed procedure but I will prefer to stay away after knowing all the risks,

I have heard some dedicated small size gas pumps are also in circle What about those?

Currently I'm using a Gas cylender but not satisfied with its quality coz it has a joint in middle and jointless cylenders are very difficult to find.... Also the hasle of refilling is something I don't like That is why looking for some remedy .........

I don't think compressor is cooled by refrigerant but instead compressor motor floats in oil which keeps it cool and when it overheats it shuts of itself.

[quote="enlightened, post:4, topic:21773"]

[/quote]

I've found best alternative rather than using dangerous compressor, you can adjust the gas pressure according to your need, so you can use it with generators, stoves and cooking range as well, inside the box is a small yet power ful blower with a card, price varies from 1800-2700, but difficult to find in local market, you've to visit alot of shops and have to bargain. I thought it's a great issue in Pakistan so that would be a great help for you people, one thing more, don't go for the local desi made rather go for a chinese made box to avoid the gas leakage issues, sharing the picture aswell for your convenience

Thank you

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

Sorry I wasn't able to attach the image, just google these words and you'll find the device "KADA 850G"

[quote=“enlightened, post:4, topic:21773”]

[/quote]

Was about to write the same :)

@nasir

the problem is not the cooling is by internal cool gas.. that gas is R.. and its extremely condensed at room temps compared to NG. and its cooler inside and gets chilled back to norm even with a smaller heat piping and fan.. NG is not compressed and is heavily expanded at room temps and doesnot get chilled easily.. so internal running and puping of gas is a huge load on the compressor which is not meant to run at such high capacity load for long times..

this solution is only practical from november end to january mid when its already very cold outside.. and should be turned off after use immediately for safety reasons.. running it 1 hour before cooking or taking baths is enough...in sumers ..NEVER.

@OP

there are standard natural gas compressors in market simmiliar to what waqas has said.. people have been using them with their cng generators for long time.. and thats why they have been declared illegeal by Sui. however using them inside the house cant be caught..:P since generators are outside the house and noise an be raided by SUI.

they look like the air pumps used to pump air in tires..but due to their illegal status you have to search a lot and appear like a noob o shopkeeper so he may trust you enough to show you the

"Stuff"

You are right and difference in gases make sense to... can you name any of these air pump type things so if they are safe the I will definitly buy them :D....

someone in our lane also has a compressor thingy and when light comes it starts an there goes the little gas that was coming and burning like candle :(

[quote=“waqar789, post:10, topic:21773”]

I've found best alternative rather than using dangerous compressor, you can adjust the gas pressure according to your need, so you can use it with generators, stoves and cooking range as well, inside the box is a small yet power ful blower with a card, price varies from 1800-2700, but difficult to find in local market, you've to visit alot of shops and have to bargain. I thought it's a great issue in Pakistan so that would be a great help for you people, one thing more, don't go for the local desi made rather go for a chinese made box to avoid the gas leakage issues, sharing the picture aswell for your convenience Thank you Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

[/quote]

[quote="waqar789, post:11, topic:21773"]

Sorry I wasn't able to attach the image, just google these words and you'll find the device "KADA 850G" Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

[/quote]

Are you talking about this? (if possible pls post an inside assembly image Thanks)

Looks like it is avliable at OLX for Rs.1950

http://olx.com.pk/item/gas-kit-kada-850-IDSemcp.html

87734251_1_1000x700_gas-kit-kada-850-lah

and I just found some other intresting devices at OLX :D

90950669_1_1000x700_gas-pump-gas-suction

92168993_2_1000x700_gas-suction-pump-inc

[quote=“jamalkhan, post:14, topic:21773”]

I’ve found best alternative rather than using dangerous compressor, you can adjust the gas pressure according to your need, so you can use it with generators, stoves and cooking range as well, inside the box is a small yet power ful blower with a card, price varies from 1800-2700, but difficult to find in local market, you’ve to visit alot of shops and have to bargain. I thought it’s a great issue in Pakistan so that would be a great help for you people, one thing more, don’t go for the local desi made rather go for a chinese made box to avoid the gas leakage issues, sharing the picture aswell for your convenience Thank you Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk Sorry I wasn’t able to attach the image, just google these words and you’ll find the device “KADA 850G” Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk Are you talking about this? Looks like it is avliable at OLX for Rs.1950 http://olx.com.pk/item/gas-kit-kada-850-IDSemcp.html and I just found some other intrusting devices at OLX :D
[/quote]exactly Jamal bhai, but don’t go for the local desi one and you will get this KADA 850G in 1800 FNF with little bargain, there is another one available in black with some chinese written on it and it costs you around 2200! Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

[quote=“waqar789, post:15, topic:21773”]

exactly Jamal bhai, but don't go for the local desi one and you will get this KADA 850G in 1800 FNF with little bargain, there is another one available in black with some chinese written on it and it costs you around 2200! Buy it and enjoy the rest of winter and do remember me in your prayers Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

[/quote]

Thank you brother for this great piece of info ... Just yesterday a shopkeeper gave me a price quote of Rs. 3000 for same device but he didn't showed me anything he wanted me to confirm the order by submitting some money in advance ....... Probably he is making fool of people by asking for double price

Getting info in Pakistan is really a job because usually people on streets want to die with keeping information as family secrets

Thanks to these forums and kind hearted people like you thinkgs are changed a little bit...... :)

@wa

[quote="waqar789, post:10, topic:21773"]

I've found best alternative rather than using dangerous compressor, you can adjust the gas pressure according to your need, so you can use it with generators, stoves and cooking range as well, inside the box is a small yet power ful blower with a card, price varies from 1800-2700, but difficult to find in local market, you've to visit alot of shops and have to bargain. I thought it's a great issue in Pakistan so that would be a great help for you people, one thing more, don't go for the local desi made rather go for a chinese made box to avoid the gas leakage issues, sharing the picture aswell for your convenience Thank you Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

[/quote]

So as you said there is blower type device inside which sound as simple operation to me .... does it mean it is totally safe ???

[quote=“jamalkhan, post:17, topic:21773”]

@wa

I’ve found best alternative rather than using dangerous compressor, you can adjust the gas pressure according to your need, so you can use it with generators, stoves and cooking range as well, inside the box is a small yet power ful blower with a card, price varies from 1800-2700, but difficult to find in local market, you’ve to visit alot of shops and have to bargain. I thought it’s a great issue in Pakistan so that would be a great help for you people, one thing more, don’t go for the local desi made rather go for a chinese made box to avoid the gas leakage issues, sharing the picture aswell for your convenience Thank you Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

So as you said there is blower type device inside which sound as simple operation to me … does it mean it is totally safe ???

[/quote] yeah it’s an air pump with inflow and outflow ducts, it’s the similar pump installed in fish aquariums in our houses for providing them oxygen cum external air, so it’s 101% safe, I’ll post a video link for your satisfaction but do your home work as well.

FYI Jamal Bhai

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=566895833353325&id=100000987396470&l=486373937232870863&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pakwheels.com%2Fforums%2Fengine-transmission-powertrain%2F188831-generator-engine-overhauling-ats-142&_rdr

Moreover let me remind you, risks are involved in each and everything, it's much safer than the fridge compressor and secondly the use of all these things were declared illegal by the GoP, keep these aspects in mind and you're good to go Thank you