Frequent Restarts

A.O.A....i just bought my new core2duo PC....im running Vista home Premium on it....first due to loadshedding my PowerSupply got lost n i've got changed it in warranty..as precautionary measure i bought a HP imported UPS for ma PC to stabilize voltage as well as work as an UPS...but few days back my PC started restarting ....it just restats wen ever it wants to ...some times after 5mins n some times after 45mins...i first thought of UPS being faulty but its not ...so temme wats the prob why it restarts so often...i need experts opninon.!!!!! hurry before my PC restarts

Disable automatic restarting of Windows when it encounters a system error. The next time error occurs, the computer will give you an error code in the format 0xYYYYYYYY where YYYYYYYY is a combination of numbers and maybe characters. Post that entire string here.

moreover,keep monitoring your PC temperature...

nowadays,the PC also restarts when the temperature increases beyond the limits ddue to improper cooling...

however if u are getting some error in some hexadecimal code then the above reason might not be the true cause of your restart...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

moreover,keep monitoring your PC temperature…

nowadays,the PC also restarts when the temperature increases beyond the limits ddue to improper cooling…

[/quote]

Yes, it can happen due to high temp. I myself faced this problem 2 years back, and the reason for it was that the processor’s heat sink was getting loose from the processor. All i did was that i applied fresh paste to reattach the heat sink to the processor, and the problem was solved. :)

also check the beeps which your computer gives when it starts...!!??

Maybe it could be a simple problem like faulty RAM, try using a different module.

if the temp is the thing then i don think so thts the matter....cuz it restarts aftr 5mins sometimes aftr 40 mins...n its a brand new E7400 Core2Duo processor....can u give me details regarding tht automatic restart... n this is not a proper restart its a sudden power failure like thing without proper restart.....hurry up suggestions.. n solutions.!!!

it must be a temperature issue

i'm also having the same sudden shutdown and then restart when the temp of my CPU goes around 65 Celsius, as the temp threshold for that particular CPU is 67 Celsius

Install fresh copy of windows solves all.

Yes, it can happen due to high temp. I myself faced this problem 2 years back, and the reason for it was that the processor’s heat sink was getting loose from the processor. All i did was that i applied fresh paste to reattach the heat sink to the processor, and the problem was solved. :)

[/quote]

Excuse me as I don’t know about hardware but please tell me what sort of fresh paste to reattach the heat sink to the processor you are talking about?

Excuse me as I don’t know about hardware but please tell me what sort of fresh paste to reattach the heat sink to the processor you are talking about?

[/quote]

Dude i m talkking abt the thermal paste also known as heat sink paste. Its used to aid a component’s(such as processor’s) thermal dissipation via the heat sink.

Dude i m talkking abt the thermal paste also known as heat sink paste. Its used to aid a component’s(such as processor’s) thermal dissipation via the heat sink.

[/quote]

I got the idea of tooth paste from fresh paste :P

why on earth its heating up so much?...its a brand new PC wid no compatibility issues new everything...n wen i started working by placing full pressure n it strated restarting...aint fair at all intel sucks if this is the problem..

^actually sometimes by default there is improper orientation of fan which doesnt properly cool the processor and the processor starts halting....

try thermal paste and see if the problem solves....moreover check your RAM modules..!!!

why on earth its heating up so much?..its a brand new PC wid no compatibility issues new everything…n wen i started working by placing full pressure n it strated restarting…aint fair at all intel sucks if this is the problem…
[/quote]

First monitor the cpu temp if it is ok then run memtest86+ to test the memory if it is ok then try changing the psu…

also post the full specification of ur cpu!

MOD’s pls delete the double post(connection issue)

why on earth its heating up so much?..its a brand new PC wid no compatibility issues new everything…n wen i started working by placing full pressure n it strated restarting…aint fair at all intel sucks if this is the problem…
[/quote]

First monitor the cpu temp if it is ok then run memtest86+ to test the memory if it is ok then try changing the psu…

also post the full specification of ur cpu!

okay the temp in BIOS is shown as 80-88 for mother board n 74 for processor....dont know whether this is F or C....okay temme where to get this paste n how to run memtest86+? do hit back....

No need to run memtest...its high temp problem.

Now, you cannot get any quality thermal paste locally so for the time being u can try to go to any computer store ask them to give u "a paste which is applied b/w cpu and heatsink"

Once u get ur hands on one following r the detailed guides about thermal paste and its application procedure:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_singlecore_wcap.pdf

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274/1

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

also try to use google it is very easier to get help about memtest and thermal paste etc.

load default bios values, update it, make sure your input voltage is stable

okay the temp in BIOS is shown as 80-88 for mother board n 74 for processor…dont know whether this is F or C…okay temme where to get this paste n how to run memtest86+? do hit back…
[/quote]

If the bios is reporting those as the current CPU Temps then you surely have a problem of with the CPU overheating. Either remove and reattach the CPU Heatsink Fan (HSF) yourself or get a technician to do it for you. Be sure to remove existing thermal paste and apply a new batch before you reattach the HSF.

Once you have successfully done the above, run a burn in test using a utility like prime95. This utility stresses your CPU and running it will allow you to see what sort of temperature your CPU is running at when under heavy load. If you can successfully run prime95 for a few hours without restarts and high CPU temps your problem is solved.

You may need a Windows based utility for monitoring CPU temperature. Usually your motherboard CD contains such a utility. You may also be able to download one from your motherboard manufacturer’s site.