Forums updated to ipb 4.x

Hi all,

The forums got hacked into and the site went offline. I ended up deleting a bunch of files on the server - enough that the old forum install of ipb 3.4x wasn't working anymore. So here is a brand spanking new ipb v4.0x!

There are a bunch of new features and faster interface and what nots. I myself have to explore this brave new ipb4 interface, but overall everything seems faster and cleaner, and it should work better on mobile phones and slow connections.

Talking of forum updates, feel free to post any feature requests complaints etc or whatever related to the actual forum software here. (I can't really add any features, besides installing ipb4 plugins, so if u know of any good knows let me know)

I just found out pasting a youtube link now automatically embeds it!

I was thinking of adding a songs forum. Talking of music, I'm really liking beta.patari.pk and looking forward to Coke Studio 8.

i think search is not working please fix it

also RSS Feed for new content is gone i use it frequently :(

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through all that. Thank you for the updated forums, they look great!

The top 5/10 recent posts/comments section on the main page is missing. Can you please add that, it helped me goto new posts quickly.

Speaking of music, I'd appreciate if you could add support for SoundCloud & other relevant streaming plugin support, so that we can paste a plugin which automatically starts playing the track without leaving the forums.

Overall nice visual upgrades. Makes it feels like it was upgraded having Windows 10 in mind :)

Welcome back WP!

Forums look great. It may have some bugs, but i believe everything will get sorted out soon.

Great !

looks good.

So, it seems we've lost about 2 month's worth of data from the forums. It includes threads/posts & user profile data.

No big deal, but just a clarification for those wondering.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:9, topic:22128”]

So, it seems we’ve lost about 2 month’s worth of data from the forums. It includes threads/posts & user profile data.

No big deal, but just a clarification for those wondering.

[/quote]

That’s strange - no data should be lost - the database had all the posts except for the day it was hacked.

Rss feeds are on I’ll check what’s happening with that.

For Soundcloud - I’ll see if there is a plugin to embed the song like it does for YouTube.

[quote=“BlueClub, post:4, topic:22128”]

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through all that. Thank you for the updated forums, they look great!

The top 5/10 recent posts/comments section on the main page is missing. Can you please add that, it helped me goto new posts quickly.

[/quote]

Thanks. The recent posts feature is on but doesn’t seem to be displaying so I’ll look into that.

The admin interface has changed a lot so I need to read the user manual!

Dam Hackers..:@

1 - May posts from previous months are missing ..

2 - There is no option to change the theme or colors of the forum, this black theme is horrible to my eyes atleast..

3 - on my end, forum loads a lot slower. pages take minutes to load.. that may be a temporary server issue, so this is not a complaint. will recheck and tell.

4 - many posts are being double posted.. even your own last post is here twice.. shuak post in new movie thread is double post etc..

I'll add a few more user selectable themes. Speed - running great for me but I need to tune it. Right now a bunch of un used features are on which were off before.

Missing posts - I'm investigating.

how many times has the site lost most of its data? im guessing at least twice now

New design looking nice. Good to see the changes :)

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:12, topic:22128”]

Dam Hackers…:@

1 - May posts from previous months are missing …

2 - There is no option to change the theme or colors of the forum, this black theme is horrible to my eyes atleast…

3 - on my end, forum loads a lot slower. pages take minutes to load… that may be a temporary server issue, so this is not a complaint. will recheck and tell.

4 - many posts are being double posted… even your own last post is here twice… shuak post in new movie thread is double post etc…

[/quote]

Yes, It is very sad that our Windows 10 discussion posts have been gone.

Instead of going into IPB v4 It could be a lot better switch to Xenforo

[quote=“archim3des, post:14, topic:22128”]

how many times has the site lost most of its data? im guessing at least twice now

[/quote]

3-4 times now…

At some point I will switch it over to a cloud host who manages backups, security, anti-spam and what not.

[quote=“makhan, post:16, topic:22128”]

Yes, It is very sad that our Windows 10 discussion posts have been gone.

Instead of going into IPB v4 It could be a lot better switch to Xenforo

[/quote]

I’m partial to http://discourse.org/ myself. I think that might be the way to go at some point.

[quote=“KO1, post:18, topic:22128”]

I’m partial to http://discourse.org/ myself. I think that might be the way to go at some point.

[/quote]

Although discourse is great project but it will completely change the way we interact on Tech forums. It will also need a dedicated server or cloud hosting that can handle rails.

There are reasons why some of the largest boards have been moved to xenforo.

Friendlier
Faster
Securer
Uses fewer resources
Easier to customize
Better SEO rating

I don't like it on mobile browser, previous version was solid quick in response and had better interface compare to this one, i might not be regular visitor due to this update,