For Rwp/Isb: is LDN worth it?

I'm thinking of signing up for LDN (PTCL's just too damn expensive - LDN charges 1200 WITH tax, PTCL doesn't) and I know LDN works fine at my dad's office (some posts from Islamabad say it's fine too).

Not too bothered about the ping issue (since I think it'll be fixed when the TW1/PTCL peering is done) but how is it otherwise? I know we've got DJnomi to help us, but he's in Lahore, and I'd like people living in the twin cities to come up and respond.

So... anyone?

go for a student package of PTCL it's cheaper...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I’m thinking of signing up for LDN (PTCL’s just too damn expensive - LDN charges 1200 WITH tax, PTCL doesn’t) and I know LDN works fine at my dad’s office (some posts from Islamabad say it’s fine too).

Not too bothered about the ping issue (since I think it’ll be fixed when the TW1/PTCL peering is done) but how is it otherwise? I know we’ve got DJnomi to help us, but he’s in Lahore, and I’d like people living in the twin cities to come up and respond.

So… anyone?

[/quote]

LDN also offers student package without any taxes , you can get this 1200 package is 885 rs by submitting your student card copy , and even it can go more cheaper if you have your own dsl modem or you buy IT from LDN or from market then the same package will cost you 735 rs.

go for a student package of PTCL it’s cheaper…
[/quote]

PTCL’s relatively more expensive - I did a quick calculation, and I end up saving ~500 with LDN’s student package.

@Nomi: that’s what I did :)

I asked a few CSRs (during the multiple calls) what is the average speed (range) I’ll get, and the greatest range I heard was 100 - 120KB/s - which ain’t all that bad (it’ll probably be a bit better, because my line can go upto 18Mbps - as per ZTE’s modem).

Anyone else got reviews in the TWIN CITIES ONLY? My dad (and his bank’s IT dept) say it’s going well - but not sure if they have a dedicated line or not (but it’s going well…)

^500 per year???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, this is how the calculation was done.

PTCL:

1200 (no student package - some other PTCL issue is involved here, including a "stuck" and "hung" order) + GST/VAT etc etc (16% approx) = ~1400 per month (try doing the math yourself in Excel, and you'll reach near this figure)

LDN's student package: 735+150 (DSL + modem rent) = 885. That's it. No tax/GST etc etc.

1400-900 (rounded off) = 500.

Had I taken up PTCL's student package,

840 + 16% GST = 974.4

Which is approximately 100 bucks more expensive than other ISPS.

Reason - PTCL charges tax for the service - other ISPs don't.

PS: it's 500 per month, not year. I never said "year" ;)

EDIT: "other ISPs" are those ISPs that offer a 30% rebate on their packages for students - in this case, I know of LDN only.

@Nomi, one quick question: say I get the modem from you guys, and I decide to buy it.

1) which modem will it be?

2) what will be the cost I pay? If, for e.g., I've used it for 6 months, will I pay the remaining/ammortized price, or do I have to pay the full price (excluding all rentals)?

how is the LDN service in the Adyala Road area?

how much they charge on 2 Mb package(student) with out modem ??? ....

how much they charge on 2 Mb package(student) with out modem ??? …
[/quote]

@Nomi, one quick question: say I get the modem from you guys, and I decide to buy it.

1) which modem will it be?

2) what will be the cost I pay? If, for e.g., I’ve used it for 6 months, will I pay the remaining/ammortized price, or do I have to pay the full price (excluding all rentals)?

[/quote]

1- for simple modem it will be aztech 605eu ( which if you buy from us it cost 3000 rs )

2- well if you use it for 6 months on rental then buy it then you again have to pay full 3000 rs. coz its rental not installment.

Alright. Thanks.

LDN worth pissing on.thats about it

nuf said