Food supplement suggestion needed

Al right, I am looking forward to buy a food supplement (whey protein based) which can easily be found in middle east (from Saudi Arabia or Dubai).

But I don't know which specific brand/product to go for? to gain weight is basic requirement,15 to 20 kg in 2 or 3 months time with bit of endurance during workout or exercise . Exercise method could be running or bodybuilding and the food supplement should be as such so it can be taken AFTER the workout not during or before with water or milk.

So please suggest some good, quality products (with less or none harmful effects/side effect) keeping in mind the above. I will be more grateful if you could suggest different products from different manufacturers, for better chance of getting one if other is unavailable. Please, also mention how much supplement would be required for 2 or 3 months duration i.e 1kg, 2kg.

Your best source of information is

www.bodybuilding.com

[quote=“jDk, post:2, topic:16959”]

Your best source of information is

www.bodybuilding.com

[/quote]

You mean the place where e-stats and anabolic junkies is the majority? Few stickies here and there have good advice but that’s about it.

@Faisal: Your reason for requiring whey protein being? Is there any reason why can’t you just consume enough of the whole food? (eggs, lean meat, milk etc. in this case for protein). Cheaper, natural and whole food superiority. Despite what they tell you, the only benefit of food supplements is convenience while dieting. Supplement business is huge and so are their marketing efforts.

And have realistic goals. 15-20kg in 2-3 months with a lot of fat is certainly possible for many (not all I must stress), but you won’t be happy with ending up having few spare tires to show. I recommend starting a proper weight lifting program with eating more than usual. Learn a bit about calories and high calories meals that are healthy (eating ice-cream daily isn’t healthy, but having 2 glasses of milkshake definitely is).

Deja vu:

Some rare honest non-marketing advice: http://weightrainer.net/training/rules.html (#9 / #10 if you don’t want to read all)

[quote=“Asad_N, post:3, topic:16959”]

You mean the place where e-stats and anabolic junkies is the majority? Few stickies here and there have good advice but that’s about it.

@Faisal: Your reason for requiring whey protein being? Is there any reason why can’t you just consume enough of the whole food? (eggs, lean meat, milk etc. in this case for protein). Cheaper, natural and whole food superiority. Despite what they tell you, the only benefit of food supplements is convenience while dieting. Supplement business is huge and so are their marketing efforts.

And have realistic goals. 15-20kg in 2-3 months with a lot of fat is certainly possible for many (not all I must stress), but you won’t be happy with ending up having few spare tires to show. I recommend starting a proper weight lifting program with eating more than usual. Learn a bit about calories and high calories meals that are healthy (eating ice-cream daily isn’t healthy, but having 2 glasses of milkshake definitely is).

Deja vu:

Some rare honest non-marketing advice: http://weightrainer…ning/rules.html (#9 / #10 if you don’t want to read all)

[/quote]

I will definitely start a 45 to 60 mins workout but the goal I have mind,15 to 20KG gain in 2 or 3 month would not be possible in that time not even a 10 kg gain. and for that too I would have to eat a lot which I don’t want. and you know the quality of food these days. most important/beneficial source of protein and fats are dairy products and you know how pathetic they are … take milk for example. the milk we get from milk-man, is essentially blue or it turns blue upon heating… why? because they are simply adding ‘neel’ to make milk look white-er along with added dirty water to dilute milk to make more milk to sell. you can’t make any ‘makhan’ or ‘desi ghee’ from that milk either. Even packed or dried milk, milk pack or nido from nestle aren’t as much as nutritional as one would expect and are very expensive too. Bananas which are good natural source of magnesium, are 200rs per dozen these days and so on with other foods…

So basically I am just looking for a way out from all that … 1) I don’t want to eat a lot cause I can’t and don’t want to either cause it really puts a stress on stomach which I can’t afford 2) considering the prices and degraded quality of essential food items makes me wanna go for substitutes (supplements. and I will not buy any supplement from PK either as don’t trust the way things are done here). Normally I eat 2 or 3 time a day, and with exercise I just want to add a glass or two of milk, milk shake or water with supplement and just be done with it. Bodybuilding, with a certain goal in mind, is a full time job. I haven’t read your suggested link fully yet which i will but I am sure I will be exercising, eating and sleeping all day as per that because food supplement or not, that’s way it needs to be done with expenses reaching 15 to 20 K a month…

I can’t escape the exercise and sleep but a good quality, balanced supplement formula can save me from all that eating…

I saw your post # 21 in that ‘Deja vu’: http://www.wiredpaki…dpost__p__10690 thread where you suggested ‘ON whey gold’. Do you still suggest that or know a better product/brand?

I just need a specific product name(s)… :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Even packed or dried milk, milk pack or nido from nestle aren’t as much as nutritional as one would expect and are very expensive too. Bananas which are good natural source of magnesium, are 200rs per dozen these days and so on with other foods…
[/quote]

I can understand your concern. I had similar concerns. But nestle milk is pretty good. Despite what you may believe, the milk pack companies maybe off a bit here and there but on average basis, they’re fair enough. Also, they do not lie big time on food labels either. Dairy omang is a chea milk pack product and they make it clear that it’s cheap for a reason - it has only 4gm of protein per glass vs 8gm of normal whole milk. I have used both supplements and normal food - no difference whatsoever except that supplements mess up your stomach and digestion.

You also need to understand that the supplements quality isn’t top-notch either. Cheap labor, less strict hygiene and qa etc [1]. You need to watch “Bigger Stronger Faster (2008)” to get an idea of it. The regulatory authorities are pretty inactive there too.

If you still have doubts about it, you can always go for meat. K&N products are pretty good and their ready-to-cook products are easy to make and easy on stomach too. Remember that meat is easier to digest than whey or any dairy product. And then there are eggs too.

Now the most important part: Despite what you may read, studies talk against what supplement industry keeps preaching. You need about 1-1.4gm of protein / kg to provide more than sufficient protein for protein synthesis. i.e. if you eat three meals / day and each has 20gm of protein, that’s 80gm and very likely to be sufficient [2].

What really matters?

Healthy calories from whole food. You need enough calories to grow. NOT a lot of protein. Now there’s some crap in the market like mega-mass but it’s all filled with unhealthy calories a la simple soda. But would you rather be skinny and healthy than bigger and unhealthy? You might not even reach the latter because of the supplements constantly messing up your system.

No matter what, processed food with shitload of magic won’t be ever superior than the whole food - even the pakistani whole food - not in this decade at least.

When to supplements?

When you’re dieting and need to know exact calories or when the local milk has too much in milk fat calories and skim milk isn’t available for example. OR when you do not have any time to prepare any protein-based meals like chicken, eggs etc. and your family prepares all low-protein stuff. In either of these cases, I recommend supplementing ON Whey Protein. It digests best and never messes up the stomach unless taken in huge amount.

Again, remember, it won’t make you grow by itself. It has like 110 calories per scoop which is less than a fried egg or half a roti. You MUST eat more and exercise to grow - simple as that.

Ref:

[1] http://alanaragon.com/protein-scare-mongering-courtesy-of-consumer-reports.html

[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm…pubmed/19057193

A high protein diet is used for dieting not for gaining wait.

Thanks Asad for the very useful input.

Its not like my total concentration will be on a supplement. I will also eat normal whole food too like I usually do. Its just sometimes (from past experiences) its not possible for me to cook/prepare or make my family to do it for me the extra stuff needed for that 'extra mile' and also my stomach is not as 'lakar hazam, pathar hazam' as it was so....

and Thank you for recommending ON whey protein.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:6, topic:16959”]

A high protein diet is used for dieting not for gaining wait.

[/quote]

But a high protein diet is used for building musles also.

[quote=“Imran, post:8, topic:16959”]

But a high protein diet is used for building musles also.

[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_diet I had in my mind.

Your target should be Muscle hypertrophy

[quote=“Faisal, post:, topic:”]

Al right, I am looking forward to buy a food supplement (whey protein based) which can easily be found in middle east (from Saudi Arabia or Dubai).

But I don’t know which specific brand/product to go for? to gain weight is basic requirement,15 to 20 kg in 2 or 3 months time with bit of endurance during workout or exercise . Exercise method could be running or bodybuilding and the food supplement should be as such so it can be taken AFTER the workout not during or before with water or milk.

So please suggest some good, quality products (with less or none harmful effects/side effect) keeping in mind the above. I will be more grateful if you could suggest different products from different manufacturers, for better chance of getting one if other is unavailable. Please, also mention how much supplement would be required for 2 or 3 months duration i.e 1kg, 2kg.

[/quote]

Hi Faisal,

I know the thread is very old but I am still replying so if anyone else has the same question can get useful info through this thread.

If you are looking for a product to gain weight up to 20 KG in 2, 3 months then the answer no product can help you gain 20 KGs in 3 months unless it is a steroid. If you want to gain weight faster to look better than by doing 20, 30 mins workout daily then the best product I can suggest you is Grenade Hydra 6 which is commissioned by UK Army too. Its made of 50% Whey and 50% Casein which is perfect protein combination to for mass and muscle building. And you can use it before or after workout (after workout is recommended).

It has no side effects even a beginner can use this product. Buy Hydra 6 4 lb (it contains 52 servings) so you can use it for whole month.

You can gain upto 20KGs weight and shaped muscles with in 6 to 8 months using Hydra 6 without having any side effect. Grenade is available in Pakistan as well at Well.pk (They have experienced and qualified nutrition support pharmacist so you can call them for advice and details on any other products.)

**Use this product at least after 3 hours of taking meal, Do not go over dose.

^ EVERY SINGLE thing in the universe has a side effect..

Eat unhealthy and gain weight

I would recommend Optimum Nutrition (ON) Whey Protein.