Firefox 5 is out!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Wondering why they threw out v5 so soon after v4. Competition from Opera's new version or something else?

It supports css animations and improved performance over Firefox 4, Firefox competition is with Google Chrome not opera.

Do people still use Firefox? Last time i checked, most FF users switched to Chrome. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with my Opera, still the best for me. B)

What I found is that Firefox is degrading as fast as developing

And of course one of the major reasons is to remain into competition.

Have downloaded it a couple of hours ago but didn't use it yet - will see what's in it.

Well, I am still fond of firefox just cuz of its extensive addons library.

For example, I have this addon which lets me open a link in a new tab everytime I double click it. Additionally my trackpad has an independent double click button which makes things sweeter. Just one click opens the link in a new tab.

^ add-ons library?

I just installed to check it and most of my add-ons have been left incompatible with this new version including the "Firefox Sync"

didn't any one else try that?

Yeah, most of the v3- addons don't work with v4+.

As for the background tab addon, us opera users have been opening background tabs with just 2 clicks from a long time. :P

I've been using the mouse-wheel click for opening link in new background tabs from a long time :P

[quote=", post:8, topic:14858"]

I’ve been using the mouse-wheel click for opening link in new background tabs from a long time :P

[/quote]

Didn’t know about that :huh: + rep ;)

I know opera does have this cool double click tab opening feature built in, but I find opera quite ugly. The speeddials look ugly as well in opera. Thirdy the mouth gestures in opera are too geeky to use.

^ Well, it is made for geeks. :P As for the speeddials, they're customizable, infact the whole browser is quite customizable. And if you don't use Firefox, let me tell you that Firefox stole Opera's design from v4 onwards... B)

[quote=", post:8, topic:14858"]

I’ve been using the mouse-wheel click for opening link in new background tabs from a long time :P

[/quote]

Same here… :)

[quote=“Upsilon, post:3, topic:14858”]

Do people still use Firefox? Last time i checked, most FF users switched to Chrome. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I’m pretty happy with my Opera, still the best for me. B)

[/quote]

Been using FF almost when it came out 5 or so years ago to as replacement for IE. Never felt the need to even try another browser since

FF :wub:

[quote=", post:9, topic:14858"]

Didn’t know about that :huh: + rep ;)

[/quote]

Try Ctrl+F

Works wonders and saves from embarrassed +1s :lol:

[quote=“Faisal, post:13, topic:14858”]

Been using FF almost when it came out 5 or so years ago to as replacement for IE. Never felt the need to even try another browser since

FF :wub:

[/quote]

and you still don’t know that the correct abbreviation of Firefox is Fx :huh:

[quote=“Faisal, post:14, topic:14858”]

Try Ctrl+F

Works wonders and saves from embarrassed +1s :lol:

[/quote]

???

[quote=", post:15, topic:14858"]

[/quote]

Nope. Its Ffx from what I read a looong time ago.

Edit:

Here: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Mozilla+Firefox

[quote=“Asad, post:17, topic:14858”]

Nope. Its Ffx from what I read a looong time ago.

Edit:

Here: http://acronyms.thef…Mozilla+Firefox

[/quote]

Only the first letter is capitalized (so it’s Firefox, not FireFox.) The preferred abbreviation is “Fx” or “fx”.

Edit: http://www.mozilla.c…es/1.5.html#FAQ

Read #8

[quote=", post:15, topic:14858"]

[/quote]

FF= fcuking fantastic :lol:

neg uno added

The 4.0 version was very slow and i guess they have pushed for 5.0 version for this reason only, otherwise they would have lost market