Firefox 3.5

Firefox 3.5 has been released and hopefully many of us have already upgraded to new version or planning to do so in near future. I'll highly recommend to upgrade to v3.5.

After upgrading to Firefox 3.5, I noticed two changes in layout and of course the infamous Private Browsing. The changes in layout were a little annoying for me:

1) "Open new tab" button in tab-bar.

2) There is no close button on last tab.

As I am used to of previous layout (Firefox 3.0 and former), I decided to remove these changes. If anyone of you also want to remove these two cosmetic changes then follow the following procedure:

* First of all, locate the "chrome" folder. It will be in your profile folder. Here is a path hint for your profile folder (in Windows XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\{Username}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{Profile Name}\chrome\
  • In “chrome” folder, create/edit the userChrome.css. There might be couple of examples in folder for the file. By default, you shall need to create userChrome.css. Create it in notepad (it is just a simple text file).

• To hide “Open new tab” button, add following line to userChrome.css file:

.tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
  • To display close button on last tab, add following lines to userChrome.css file:
.tabbrowser-tabs[closebuttons="alltabs"] > .tabbrowser-tab >

.tab-close-button { display: -moz-box !important; }

.tabbrowser-tabs:not([closebuttons=“noclose”]):not

([closebuttons=“closeatend”]) >

.tabbrowser-tab[selected=“true”] > .tab-close-button { display: -moz-

box !important; }

* Save and close userChrome.css file.

* Close Firefox (if it is running) and again run Firefox. Both cosmetic changes will be fixed.

Happy firefoxing :)

P.S. If you have any tips for Firefox 3.5 then do post here. Also share with us your experience with new Firefox 3.5.

I just upgraded today but i didn't found these changes annoying

They tried to copy ie8

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I just upgraded today but i didn’t found these changes annoying

They tried to copy ie8

[/quote]

Yes, they tried to copy IE8 and Opera (and some other browsers). However, I am pretty used to of “close button on last tab”. That’s why it was bit annoying to not able to close last tab. :)

Firefox 3.5 has been released and hopefully many of us have already upgraded to new version or planning to do so in near future. I’ll highly recommend to upgrade to v3.5.

After upgrading to Firefox 3.5, I noticed two changes in layout and of course the infamous Private Browsing. The changes in layout were a little annoying for me:

1) “Open new tab” button in tab-bar.

2) There is no close button on last tab.

[/quote]

I use ff3.0 but even with ff2.x you could customize the appearance of the tab bar and the tabs using the tabmix plus addon. Any other features in 3.5?

^

Have a look here:

http://www.bspcn.com/2008/05/22/top-10-firefox-3-features/

I use ff3.0 but even with ff2.x you could customize the appearance of the tab bar and the tabs using the tabmix plus addon. Any other features in 3.5?
[/quote]

Lol, if you can use the internet, then you also can download firfox 3.5 & check it out yourself.

If you dont like it you can uninstall it & install 3.0 again.

Lol, if you can use the internet, then you also can download firfox 3.5 & check it out yourself.

If you dont like it you can uninstall it & install 3.0 again.

[/quote]

Ah no downgrade is a lot harder. That is because your entire profile is updated to the new version. Also you may have to update the addons too.

The reason I am hesitant to upgrade is that I am using an old computer and newer versions of firefox always use more resources. The jump from ff 2 to ff 3 led to a massive slowdown in firefox. These developers are developing FF for faster computers with more RAM.

I have seen a graph on some blog (can't recall where) that shows that FF3.5 uses less memory than FF2, FF1.5, IE8 etc.

firefox 3 vs firefox 3.5 memory usage

http://dotnetperls.com/firefox

Hi all...

I am using Mozilla Firefox with Windows Vista but i am not facing any problem from that so it might be possible problem in your system exists not in Mozilla Firefox 3.5.