Finally i hav worldcall vod box (+service) & international chanels

As there are literally no cable companies in my area (karachi defence phase V) except for worldcall>I decided to order their VOD service.

It cost be 6000 rs for installation and 1500 rs monthly and it took them 3 days to come over and give me the (china) box but finally i have english channels which i want to see including show comedy...

the setup also includes a motorola cable modem for video in demand service. (It has about 200 movies (indian and english+ kids+concerts+comedy shows) on demand which is included in the 1500 monthly charges) + 40 channels which can be viewed on their website. The picture is crisp and clear, so far ...

Can you give an overview of their service - how does the VOD work - do they have many movies, and what types, like english, indian, etc.

What about TV shows - that would be worthwhile getting it if they have recent TV shows on demand, as well as movies.

Also, does the TV interfere with the internet speeds, as they're both on the same cable?

I wish they would just offer plain-old digital cable as opposed to trying to stuff VOD down my throat. I just want the channels, not the movies or whatever other crap they offer.

I am seriously considering getting Orbit instead.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Can you give an overview of their service - how does the VOD work - do they have many movies, and what types, like english, indian, etc.

What about TV shows - that would be worthwhile getting it if they have recent TV shows on demand, as well as movies.

Also, does the TV interfere with the internet speeds, as they’re both on the same cable?

[/quote]

KO there VOD works fine, but the movies, especially the latest ones are not always DVD quality, kinda like the same quality you would get at your video stores, they put cams, TS and other quality movies in there too. There digital TV channels work fine, so far they have a bit of showtime, only two channels from orbit, a channel or two from DSTV and surprisingly the are a lot of dubai / middle east based channels. But overall a great alternative to normal analog cable TV channels they have. Someone in another thread put up all the channels they have. Anyhow here are a couple of channels they offer

America Plus

Show series

show comedy

Show movies (1, 2 , Act, fam)

MTV

Super movies

SS1

BBC prime

ESPN int.

Fox sports

MBC 4, 2, action

now the DIGITAL TV CHANNELS being offered by WC. Are they really live HD 16:9 widescreen channels being originally broad casted by tv broadcaster? and not merely an analog source reformatted at WC and offered to customer.
[/quote]

They are digital MPEG 4 encoded channels, just like you would get them had you subscribed to orbit or show time with their own STB. Sound and picture is all digital and the aspect ratio is also the same.

I wish they would just offer plain-old digital cable as opposed to trying to stuff VOD down my throat. I just want the channels, not the movies or whatever other crap they offer.
[/quote]

Check ur email ! (gmail)

I am seriously considering getting Orbit instead.

[/quote]

Me too :(

But I do not want Orbit

they cut there rates to 3000 from 6000 two days ago damn rip off. ive applied for there dtv to but was getting sales pitches from there reps for vod but they refuse to give me dtv only due to some undefined reasons.

ko >Can you give an overview of their service - how does the VOD work - do they have many movies, and what types, like english, indian, etc. What about TV shows - that would be worthwhile getting it if they have recent TV shows on demand, as well as movies. Also, does the TV interfere with the internet speeds, as they're both on the same cable?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

well>>i have a seperate cable for my internet so no>>it does not effect speed of internet>>here is what they do>>if you have wc crappy basic cable they put in a splitter (4 ways), 1 wire goes to the cable box named coship>>(available at www.coship.com, chinese brand, it also has a card slot which wc does not give, more on that later). They have also given me a seperate modem for my Videos on Demand movies and wire goes into that while another wire goes into the the regular tv>>alright now they connect 3 wire directly form the box(i would say they are stereo wires) into the tvs so that you can get good sound>>now the 40 channels and vod service operates on the av system while the basic cable still runs regularly.

They have English(subcategories are action,comedy, tv shows like stand up comedy, romance etc) , Indian(subcategories are new/latest, romance, action adventure and son on), now radio has not been turned on but the box also has an option for that as well as games. I'am guesing that worldcall has big plans for getting the gaming community on board on a network (this is a highly lucrative business abroad). The movies are 99.9 percent excellent dvd quality>>and i have heard that they put in a requested movie now and then too>>they have heroes and one or 2 other series on demand as well as latest videos (indians and english)...

as somebody has asked for it here is a complete list of channels on vod>>the 300 plus movies tv shows videos conecrts extra are seperate

1 IRIB 1

2 Amrica Plus

3 Wikked Plus

4 Pogo

5 Bloomberg

6 Super Movies

7 Silver Screen

8 Disney

9 Show Series

10 Show Comedy

11 Show Movies 1

12 Show Movies 2

13 Show Movies Action

14 Show Movies Family

15 TCM

16 FTV Arabia

17 Super Sports 1

18 BBC Prime

19 Iqra

20 ART Teenz

21 MTV International

22 ESPN International

23 Fox Sports

24 NOW

25 Ujala

26 FTV International

27 LBC

28 Dream

29 Melody Hits

30 Channel V China

31 Music Plus

32 Dubai One

33 Dubai Sports

34 Sama Dubai

35 Dubai TV

36 Space Toon

37 Saudi 1

38 MBC 4

39 MBC 2

40 MBC 3

41 MBC Action

the price of the box has been reduced now to 3000 rs and 1500 you will have to pay in advance for the first month, wish i knew about that before :( but anyways>>the demand has been low for this but i have heard that wateen is also offering a vod service and in the coming months so will other cable companies as well>>so the price per month will obviously go down (according to their own sales rep)

by the way here is the cable modem which they gave me>>

http://www.coship.com/CoshipEn/Default.aspx?Type=1&PCID=215&CatalogID=6864

strange it has a cable modem built in then why did they give me a seperate motoroal surboard modem hmm

by the way here is the cable modem which they gave me>>

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

correction>> meant to say vod box

if i hoke up the reciver to my wc cable will i get the digital tv or the service has to be activated at worldcall ends

xoid>>the receiver has to be activated using a ip (which is probably registered)>>

for the mobem whic is attached to the box >>that has to registered as well from the wc end before you receive any movies>>i know this because mine wasnt and the wc guy who installed it had to call up the home office and ask for it>>

I have another question - do all the analog channels also come on this box, or if you want to switch to say Geo News or something you have to use the TV tuner?

xoid>>the receiver has to be activated using a ip (which is probably registered)>>

for the mobem whic is attached to the box >>that has to registered as well from the wc end before you receive any movies>>i know this because mine wasnt and the wc guy who installed it had to call up the home office and ask for it>>

[/quote]

wrong, as long as you have the decoder and only wish to view the digital channels, you don’t need to plug in the modem at all. When the decoder starts up, it says " get IP failed" and continues to display the digital channels. The decoder only needs the modem for VOD services AFAIK.

I have another question - do all the analog channels also come on this box, or if you want to switch to say Geo News or something you have to use the TV tuner?
[/quote]

I havent looked into the decoder settings to see if it can also show the analog channels, but it has a coaxial output, which you can connect to your TV, and tune all the analog channels that way. While it has composite video / audio output for the digital channels. it also has an SPDIF output, but so far it’s only a stereo stream so its not needed, but it’s there.

So, overall do you think it's worthwhile? Do they keep adding movies regularly to the VOD service?

So, overall do you think it’s worthwhile? Do they keep adding movies regularly to the VOD service?
[/quote]

Actually i only recently discovered that worldcall never came to collect the STB once we had cancelled the VOD service, so i decided to plug it back in after i learnt they have 40+ channels now. At the time, they had like 8-10 usefull channels, and VOD was relatively new, so we didnt enjoy the whole experience (this was 6-8 months ago). As of now, the modem doesn’t connect to Worldcall, but if you hook up the decoder it gives the digital channels. So for its worth, its a decent service. Would not recommend you to get VOD and pay for it every month, last i checked they had limited content plus they put all sorts of pirate quality in there. So our VOD service is cancelled, but WC didnt come to collect the STB (which i believe becomes our property anyway, after we pay the installation charges, though im not sure on that one), and its workin fine now. Bottom line, for free, the service is quite decent.

Bottom line, for free, the service is quite decent.
[/quote]

haha :D

If only they can wake up and add super comedy, super comedy+1, nat geo, discovery, and some more movie channels, this service would be golden.