Finally Got a LCD TV

So we finally got a LCD TV. Its a 32 inch Sony BX320. We researched a lot and were confused between Sony and Samsung but finally we decided on Sony (being their loyal customers for like 30 years now!) Now i must confess that I don't know much about HD TVs. However, one thing I did know and had already forewarned my parents that the regular cable will not look as good as it does on the normal "Non-Widescreen" TV. This as you know is because we get cable reception in the 4:3 format and LCD TVs have a format of 16:9. So everything on the cable is stretched to fill the wide screen. But my Dad really doesn't like the stretching of the picture and says it was better with the old TV and he wants the Zoom setting to be kept at "Standard" so that everything is according to proportions. The problem is that with this setting there are really annoying black bars at both sides of the screen. :( So i need to ask a few questions about this from you guys:

1. Should i get Digital Cable? Is it in 16:9 resolution? Which Digital cable service provides this resolution? Sun TV (Now DWN)? PTCL IPTV? DishTV?

2. Should i get normal Digital TV or HD Digital TV? I have heard there are HD set up boxes with TataSky and DishTV.

3. Just want to confirm if this is a channel specific issue or cable specific issue? Since i noticed that some channels: ARY News, CNN, BBC have black bars at top and bottom part which make the stretching issue a bit less obvious.

Thanks for your answers.

1. Analog or Digital, it doesn't matter. None of the Pakistani or even Indian channels are available in wide format.

2. Normal channels on satellites are in 4:3 format what ever package you choose. Only HD channels are meant for this purpose and thats for LCDs should be used. Normal channels specially on cable will always look crap. If you go for HD plz remember there are very few channels in true hd format and they are available on Tata Sky.

3. I have no idea about CNN or ARY News, must be cable specific issue but BBC World is available in wide format on Hotbird satellite.

Thanks ShuAK for replying to my post. I wondered why no was replying to it even after 100+ views. :). So basically we have to wait for the local channels to convert to 16:9 ratio to make full use of LCDs. Otherwise its always going to be that way. :(

For how much did you buy..?

Moreover, I have still NOT got what's the difference between BX300 and BX320..?

Does BX320 play all formats vi USB..? Do let me know as we are looking for one LCD TV and my yes are set on Samsung at the moment!

Dish TV is the way to go on LCD's//!

We got for 45,000. There is a minor difference between BX300 and BX320. BX320 plays most of the video formats but BX300 does not. I played Avi, Wmv and Mpeg4 on BX320 and all played flawlessly. There were issues with some .mkv files though as the audio of some of them could not be played.

About Dish TV, its not necessary na that all of the channels on DishTV are HD. Most of them may have good MPEG quality but they are not essentially filmed in 16:9 so the problem i mentioned above still persists.

[quote=“rnathbatra, post:, topic:”]

3. Just want to confirm if this is a channel specific issue or cable specific issue? Since i noticed that some channels: ARY News, CNN, BBC have black bars at top and bottom part which make the stretching issue a bit less obvious.

[/quote]

Some channels have some content in 16:9 but they are broadcasting in 4:3. For example, many serials on ARY, Geo, Hum TV etc are in 16:9. Also, most of the commercials are now made in 16:9. But the channels aren’t broadcasting in 16:9. Check this screenshot:

http://tinyurl.com/3sajb2c

Apparently it is in widescreen but note the logo of ARY. The channel is clearly broadcasting in 4:3. The traditional cable TV system in Pakistan is analog and they broadcast in 4:3 format. So, even if a channel is broadcasting its entire content in 16:9 (like Fox News, BBC, CNN, DW etc), we still see black bars on top & bottom on our widescreen displays.

Can someone suggest me 40" or 43" LCD or LED

which one is best and whats the price?

thnx

[quote=“ArsalanJ, post:6, topic:15183”]

Some channels have some content in 16:9 but they are broadcasting in 4:3. For example, many serials on ARY, Geo, Hum TV etc are in 16:9. Also, most of the commercials are now made in 16:9. But the channels aren’t broadcasting in 16:9. Check this screenshot:

http://tinyurl.com/3sajb2c

Apparently it is in widescreen but note the logo of ARY. The channel is clearly broadcasting in 4:3. The traditional cable TV system in Pakistan is analog and they broadcast in 4:3 format. So, even if a channel is broadcasting its entire content in 16:9 (like Fox News, BBC, CNN, DW etc), we still see black bars on top & bottom on our widescreen displays.

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply mate. That cleared up my concepts quite a lot.

gonna buy a 22' Sony. This thread clears some answers.

Shall i go for samsung?

whats the main difference