File splitter and joiner

hi..i wana knw is there any software which can split a big file in small parts and then rejoin them....i want it for splitting ISO(image) files...my frnd used to downlod ISO files frm torrent at his office....now problem is that v doesn;t hav a usb of more than 4gb capacity...no hdd allowed to attach wid pc in office only usb can b attached.....he downlaoded an iso file of 7gb.....now v both want to bring it to our harddrives.....is there any way to split this file in 2 parts of 3.5gb each and then rejoin them???

^ hjsplit does this job pretty well

just use winrar!

install winrar then right click the iso file and select add to archive, then a window will appear , there will be an option there to split to volumes and there select 4 GB , chose the other desired options such as where to save and the name and then press OK, it will split the file in 4 GB parts, one part will be named abc.rar.r01 and the next one abc.rar.r02. after transferring both files to other pc, right click on the first rar file and click extract, it will automatically join both files and the ISO file will appear.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ hjsplit does this job pretty well
[/quote]

Yeah this is the perfect software to join and split files also you may want to try Filecut this also works good

If files within ISO are not compressed then mostly WinRAR will reduce size dramatically.

You can also buy USB Harddisk.

I had an extra 80GB SATA Laptop harddisk. I bought Laptop SATA to USB adapter for Rs. 1100 from Sadar Rawalpindi. Now I can use that 80GB as external harddisk that is readily available by attaching it to USB port in any Windows XP. The whole thing is very small because laptop's harddisk is little larger than credit card size.

Use winrar to compress 7GB file in 3 or 2 GB.

If you want to compress those file in MB,i mean extreme compress.Then use KGB.KGB compress GB into MB.

east or west winrar is the best

Yup. WinRar Does the job for me.

yes hjsplit works well

Others have covered the file splitting. You can use hjsplit to join files too. But if you are moving the files to a computer that does not have hjsplit you can join them with this command in the windows command line (start>run> type "cmd")

copy /b parts* finalfilename.ext

For example if the file parts are example0.ext and example1.ext you would type

copy /b example* examplefull.ext

Why use hjsplit when WinRAR can compress, split, protect my files all in one ? :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Why use hjsplit when WinRAR can compress, split, protect my files all in one ? :)
[/quote]

Winrar is slower because it also compresses the files. Also the recipient needs winrar to join the file but with a file split by hjsplit you only need to use the windows command line (see my post above) to join the files so the split files are more portable. There is also the case of video or other heavily compressed files. These files cannot be compressed any further by winrar so if you want to split them up its better to use hjsplit or the split command in linux.