Few questions about buying a new laptop.... Guide me

Hi everyone.

I have few question for ones who have the knowledge of them. I am looking forward for your support and guidance.

I am going to buy a laptop within a week. I have made my mind about the specs of the laptop. However, i am still confused about the few questions which are still unanswered to me.

1. New laptops come with the operating system installed in them such Vista home edition or vista premium edition. However, some models of laptop come with DOS. They do not specify the name of operating system, they just specify that they have DOS. I have heard that if buy a laptop with vista in it you cannot move to another operating system easily such as xp (as xp is considered be better than vista). Or even if i want to move to windows 7 which will be coming shortly, i cannot migrate to that easily.

However, i have heard that if you buy a laptop with DOS in it you can easily switch to another operating system by just formatting it, as we usually do in desktop computers.

The question is which laptop should i buy, one with preinstalled windows or one with DOS?

2. The second question is about warranty. From market i have gathered that there are 2 warranties. First is called local warranty and the second is called international warranty. I dont know much about them. So please guide me.

I will be open to any kind of suggestions regarding these questions. Plus i will also welcome any other kind of suggestions which you think that one should know definitely while buying a new laptop.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Saman Zafar.

laptops that comes with vista pre installed, it is quite easy to change thier operating system ,, all that it need is just 4-5 steps before changing os, solution of this issue is posted several times on WP , in Software forums , a thread was opened by Sweet 2000,

i myself have a Dell inspiron 1525 that came with vista preinstalled, after one month i changed Vista to dual boot with XP, and now i am using just XP,,,,, anyhow this is quite easy to change OS of the laptop that came with Vista pre installed,

2) warranty that your dealer will provide is local warranty , and laptops generally come with one year manufacturer warranty that is International warranty ,,,, however warranty is abolished if u change default OS.

and one suggestion that do not buy laptop just by viewing its specs ,,,, before that Google some reviews about your laptop ,,, and read experts review online , some good sites like notebookreview.com

DOS is an operating system just like windows and you can install any operating system you want on laptops if you have appropriate drivers for all hardware. You can check laptop maker's site to find what drivers are available. If you buy any new model than there is a high chance that drivers for Win 7 will be available and from what i have read Win 7 is more lighter (consumes less resources) and stable than Vista.

what are some netbooks and whats their price in pakistani market???i heard they have a better battery life..

^ netbooks have a better battery life because they run a low powered processor that comes no where near to the performance of a full blown laptop

^So would you say a netbook will be advisable if someone has some heavy work to do on a computer. Like say, programming?

^ He said netbooks are NOT for heavy computing... laptops have a better system config than netbooks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^So would you say a netbook will be advisable if someone has some heavy work to do on a computer. Like say, programming?
[/quote]

Oh please, spare netbooks from heavy programming. Try compiling a medium (or large) size C++ project and netbook will be on its knees begging for mercy.

Use netbook for net (internet) :) They are not good for gaming or other heavy stuff that need computer resources.

[/quote]

i meant to say that the performance of netbooks was crap because they use a low powered processor

Yes, yes, that was exactly what I was trying to find out. Thanks for the answer.

So what are some decent netbooks and their prices here in Pakistan.

So what are some decent netbooks and their prices here in Pakistan.
[/quote]

Two most popular netbooks are :

Acer Aspire One

Asus EEE PC

Price will be around Rs. 30,000.

but the gud one is HP mini 2140 its better then the above mentioned...Eee PC is just for net surfing..but HP mini has win XP n a 160GB HDD wid 1GB RAM n Intel Atom Processor...its to some extent a beauty machine..just for surfin extravaganza!

^ the acer aspire one has all the things u mention