Fedora

Well im using fedora now, and im really xD, its running better than ubuntu, may be cuz it is running i686 linux kernel, and well I dint have to disable ACPI this time...

ruhaan dewd now tell me how can i get that app, that provides intel speed step functionality, you were telling me about

ok the main problem im having is that I cant access the NTFS partitions :S

i cant mount em, and on opening properties it shows everything unknown

sah: Don't post generalized, unjustified, pointless comments.

^ the easiset way wud be to install kde on fedora

i think fedora comes with it by default so i dont think u need to install it

whats KDE ?

well i figured out another way to access NTFS

installed ntfs-3g, then gave permisson to my account, to mount file systems

A thing which makes me hate fedora, repositories arent free :@

ruhaan which linux distro do you use ?

alot of em

but nowadays i m usin ubuntu

KDE is another graphical environment like GNOME

I changed the display driver in Fedora, it told me to logout and restart the X server

After restarting whole system, now fedora get stucked on login

if i login with root, it takes me to root terminal

now what can i type in root terminal to boot fedora into gui

EDIT : I figured out more about the problem, ok I actually changed the X Server (Xorg) configuration when i changed the video driver

now when i boot fedora it stucks at login, so i login wiv root there, then on using startx command...it gives no displays found error

now actually i need to install the back the video driver....how can i do that please provide me wiv code

ive got intel 825/855GM video controller

problem solved...

i dont even noe how to create a text file, using fedora tty6

used vi for that

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

whats KDE ?

well i figured out another way to access NTFS

installed ntfs-3g, then gave permisson to my account, to mount file systems

A thing which makes me hate fedora, repositories arent free :@

ruhaan which linux distro do you use ?

[/quote]

what do you mean by “repositories aren’t free” they all are free, you just need to configure them properly

if you are using Fedora 9,

use the following to install the repos.

sudo rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm

or sudo rpm -Uvh http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/9/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm

Another notable repo is dribble.

http://dribble.org.uk/configuration.html

^^ dude, by default the livna and another default fedora core 9 repository is already present and u dont need to change them

ok now, install a fresh copy of fedora, and then try running a divx, now you will find that there are two codec packs available and and none of them is free

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^^ dude, by default the livna and another default fedora core 9 repository is already present and u dont need to change them

ok now, install a fresh copy of fedora, and then try running a divx, now you will find that there are two codec packs available and and none of them is free

[/quote]

Livna is NOT present in Fedora by default, you’ve to configure it yourself!

Perhaps, you are talking about fluendo’s codec package, you don’t need to purchase anything from fluendo.

To play divx you need to install the xvidcore package!

to install the package, you just need to run ‘yum install xvidcore’ (provided that you’ve enabled the repositories either livna,freshrpms or atrpms etc.)

^^ hmm, shudve known before, that was the only thing i dint like about fedora

but it duznt gives a good impression that, by default, if you dont add repositries, it would only give you that fluendo option, and its not free

There is ample information about getting multimedia to work in Fedora over the internet.

As far as adding repos is concerned, you do add repos in other distros. as well ubuntu, suse, mandriva etc.

There is nothing bad about Fedora. Fedora strictly adheres to open source software inclusion policy and this hinders Fedora to directly include packages with other type of licenses or patented softwares. Read more about it at the following link:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia#MP3.2C_DVD_and_Other_Excluded_Multimedia