Faulty Intel Motherboards being sold in Pakistan-Destroys SATA drives

Reportedly the motherboard in question destroys SATA drives as I came to know from a friend on Facebook.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-sata-error-sata-3,12112.html

Pakistani Hardware supplier Galaxy Computers (head quarters Karachi) is still selling this even after the boards have been recalled by the manufacturers in international markets. So all you guys who have this board or are interested in buying it, watch out!

The Pakistani reseller doesn't acknowledge the fault, says my source who claims he was thrown out of the shop when he confronted them with this news. Typical.

Yep Typical.

is there any online computer shop except "galaxy.com.pk" from where we can see the computer prices

czone, shophive, vmart, etc, etc...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Reportedly the motherboard in question destroys SATA drives as I came to know from a friend on Facebook.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-sata-error-sata-3,12112.html

Pakistani Hardware supplier Galaxy Computers (head quarters Karachi) is still selling this even after the boards have been recalled by the manufacturers in international markets. So all you guys who have this board or are interested in buying it, watch out!

The Pakistani reseller doesn’t acknowledge the fault, says my source who claims he was thrown out of the shop when he confronted them with this news. Typical.

[/quote]

I think they were, but stopped, as recently I was buying a sandbridge mb and Galaxy said their current boards have a problem so wait one month till they get newer intel boards - they have sold faulty ones earlier but said they are changing them as new ones come in.

Pakistan is a strange country, where intel has plastered so many computer shops with adds for sandbridge processors and you can’t buy them anywhere!

In Pakistan, all they want to do is to sell it so that it becomes the other guy's problem and not yours

I have been wondering if the 6xx series chipset (Cougarpoint) mainboards currently available in the market are faulty or not. Is there any way to identify physically (any label or marking on the Intel mainboards?) if the board uses the B3 chipset or not?

They will be labelled as 'B3', faulty ones are 'B2'.

[quote=“StrikerX, post:8, topic:14149”]

They will be labelled as ‘B3’, faulty ones are ‘B2’.

[/quote]

Any pics of this?

All new b3 mobo's packaging will have it labelled. See the pic below

I was referring to Intel's own desktop boards available locally in bulk packaging. Is there any reference to B3 chipsets on the board itself?

Those Intel boxes will also have B3 written on them.

Is it true :-S I never came across this kind of instance.

[quote=“Asad, post:11, topic:14149”]

I was referring to Intel’s own desktop boards available locally in bulk packaging. Is there any reference to B3 chipsets on the board itself?

[/quote]

Good question. B3 mobos have been available locally for well over a month now. Intel has this guide on their website:

I don't know where on the bare motherboard the above numbers will be displayed. They will show up in the BIOS setup screen but you can only get to that AFTER you've made your purchase. So I am guessing even with the above info you'll have to trust the local vendor a little. Another reason to buy from a reputable dealer.