Fans broken/malfunctioning on ups?

Been using this fan in a room http://www.wahid-industries.com/products_fan_louvre_tilting_bracket.htm

This is the second one which died while on UPS, first it started making a noise while running so I turned it off, now it will run only at a fraction of the rpm it is supposed to. Is there something to these fans which make them break on UPS?

i purchased a Pak fan recently and the shop keeper ( Bhora Peer Market) said if you use the fan on inverter warranty is void

[quote=“executionist, post:, topic:”]

Been using this fan in a room http://www.wahid-industries.com/products_fan_louvre_tilting_bracket.htm

This is the second one which died while on UPS, first it started making a noise while running so I turned it off, now it will run only at a fraction of the rpm it is supposed to. Is there something to these fans which make them break on UPS?

[/quote]

just change its capacitor… problem will solve.

[quote=“executionist, post:, topic:”]

This is the second one which died while on UPS, first it started making a noise while running so I turned it off, now it will run only at a fraction of the rpm it is supposed to.

[/quote]

There are multiple copper windings in the fan, one or more are burnt out so your fan now runs at lower RPM.

Which UPS you are using ? Local made UPS don’t have any clamp circuits to kill the over voltage spikes generated due to switching of high current.

@ Ijaz Ahmed

is rewinding worth the expense.. they are charging 600-800 for it??? and no warranty

[quote=“highway, post:5, topic:14621”]

@ Ijaz Ahmed

is rewinding worth the expense… they are charging 600-800 for it??? and no warranty

[/quote]

I think gone are the days of 600-800. Expect 1200-1500 because copper wire has become very expensive.

These kind of fans have small size motor mostly imported from China, not locally made. Being small, it is difficult to rewind.

Rewinding only works if done properly by an experienced technician which I bet you can not find. Whom ever you find will claim that his forefathers actually invented the electric motor and no one understands it better than him.

[quote=“Ammar77, post:3, topic:14621”]

just change its capacitor… problem will solve.

[/quote]

This could also be one of the reason for a slow RPM fan. This is inexpensive, so better do it first.

[quote=“highway, post:2, topic:14621”]

i purchased a Pak fan recently and the shop keeper ( Bhora Peer Market) said if you use the fan on inverter warranty is void

[/quote]

Is there something different about these fans because of which we should not use them on invertor?

Also its not the capacitor, I already changed it. Prolly wiring issue

[quote=“executionist, post:8, topic:14621”]

Is there something different about these fans because of which we should not use them on invertor?

[/quote]

Basically any kind of motor does not like anything except pure sine wave. A sine wave is continuous and varies gradually. Square or step/modified sine waves produced by inverters is actually a rectangular wave which changes instantly (thus motors produce noise) and magnetic cores inside motors don’t like it and they heat up too much.

Now why ceiling fans can sustain inverters and bracket fans burn out? Well bracket fans have small motors which have thin wire windings which can not sustain heat and melt earlier than ceiling fans which have large motors and thick copper wire windings.