Fair skin people in ads

I was watching Mobilink's "such jazba" (really hate these words but that's another issue) ad the other day and thought....wow Pakistan is such a beautiful country....no one is ugly here. I mean seriously what's the deal here? In that all and others we see they only show gora chita, khubsoorat, healthy, fair skinned, smart and handsome type people. Just look at the ad and you will see there is not a single dark skinned, weak, laghar and kamzore person. Why is that? Why are we so obsessed with beauty?

I mean they make ads for whole Pakistan but do not give complete representation. I think part of the problem lies with us because this is what public wants to see. But if you take a look at the ads in western countries I think they try to give representation to other blacks, brown skinned and Hispanics too. May be not all the time but at least they try to add a token black guy most of the time.

Why everyone in ghee and oil ads is beautiful and healthy and rich!? Don't poor people use it?

Mobilink could have shown one or two darker skinned people in that ad but they didn't and they all all seem rich and mummy daddy type.

Dear they all are trying to sell their products in ads so they want everything to look perfect and beautiful

just think when we go and sell things our to tell about us to anybody we try our level best to show good side and convince the other party

In western countries black, asian etc logo ki poori alag koom abad hai like people from africa or from asian countries etc

so they include these people also in ads so they go and buy their product

at the end sorry my english is not very strong forgive me for any mistakes

[quote=“aamir098, post:2, topic:15954”]

Dear they all are trying to sell their products in ads so they want everything to look perfect and beautiful

just think when we go and sell things our to tell about us to anybody we try our level best to show good side and convince the other party

In western countries black, asian etc logo ki poori alag koom abad hai like people from africa or from asian countries etc

so they include these people also in ads so they go and buy their product

at the end sorry my english is not very strong forgive me for any mistakes

[/quote]

You are right but still they can include some darker or brown skinned people. Just look at that Mobilink ad and you will see all are Clifton Defence mummy daddy type persons. Not a single one looks like from Malir.

media thinks that if they put a sexy chick drinking a beer, that all the TechMen in the world will drink that beer and find a chick just like that :D

Rich, young and beautiful. That's what the human

race aspires to, in a capitalist model. That's what

will make them happy and contended. Being poor,

ugly and feeble minimizes potential for success

and is a prescription for misery.

By juxtaposing their product with the ideal, they

are relaying a subliminal message that if you use

their product you (too) will attain nirvana.

It makes sense, depending upon what you are selling

and who is your target market. It works the other

way around too.

Take for example, Ariel washing powder. It is an

expensive brand. If you have seen the recent ads for

Ariel, they show 'real' housewives sans makeup, who

are not wearing jewellery, have wheatish complexions

and are even dowdy by normal standards. It appears

that they are targeting the middle-class with a

different angle: "Sure Ariel may be expensive, but

it will save you money, because it works, the first

time around".

That's Consumer Psych for you.

Sheikh 'Diff Snares For Diff Wares' Chilli

You DO sometimes get to see dark skinned or ugly people too... when ads show the "Before" using their product :P

But in all seriousness, besides the excellent points sheikh_chilli made above, one reason of the reasons why you don't see a poor person is because they're not the target market. Otherwise, as sheikh_chilli mentioned the ads serve the purpose of showing you what you aspire to be or become - supposedly by using or owning that product. Advertisements mostly portray a picture where you can imagine yourself to be a part of the class/group/segment that you'd like to be in.

This issue isn't limited to Pakistan though. Look at American ads and tell me, how often do you see obese people in it? When obese people make about a third of the US citizens you'd expect to see less 'fit' people. The people at the BOP (bottom of the pyramid) are usually not the main target market companies aim for because of their low purchasing power (supposedly not so profitable) and lack of loyalty.

Read books on consumer behaviour and you'll see why this remains a common trend.

Its all about what target audience are you trying to reach. Like Sheikh rightly said above about Ariel ads. In the same way when Jazba launched they wanted to capture the young market and therefore they show young people in flashy clothes dancing and jumping around (like idiots :D).

Off topic: I really think Jazz has done a terrible job with their "Such" ads. They look so fake and over the top. Not to mention their stupid Jazz "Bananas" app store. Seriously, who the hell came up with that lame idea.

^ Apple, Bananas... Get it? :D

And IMO, that's a good step by them. Although they should've chosen a better name for it.

Dark-skinned and ugly. Wow, racism at best. -_-

in my view we got at more than 60% of the population which is naturally fair skinned and naturally beautiful and they don't need fair and lovely, but unfortunately majority of this population is not seen in mainstream since they are kind of stuck in medieval era and hence are not major part of learned engilsh medium elite crowd where we always benchmark pakistan from, yes i am talking about pakistanis of northern areas, hazara, pashtuns, gilgiti, swati etc there is some good level of education in fair skinned kashmiris and northern punjabis who are seen in engiish medium elite crowd.

i love the natural beauty and fair skin of northern pakistani people.

People like to see white skin. It's natural trigger for lust.

[quote=“blogger, post:11, topic:15954”]

People like to see white skin. It’s natural trigger for lust.

[/quote]

Generalize much? I’m sure the black community has “lust” for other black people.

Beauty is relative. If it were not the case, Chines and Japanese would have committed suicide due to boredom :D

That's how ads all around the world are made. You need to study Edward Bernays and see how ads were made before him and how he changed the advertising world. Basically his principles are the holy bible for the advertisers and are blindly followed since he introduces them.

Every one try to rejuvenate his/her skin in our country. There are lot of people who are taking treatment for whitening of skin.Laser treatments for skin whitening especially male and female models