Extremly bizzare dsl problem

i have 4mb dsl connection in karachi malir cant exchange...for the last one month i am facing internet problem...that is my net will only work during specific times of the day and at other times the internet light on AN1020-16T modem remains red....every body tells me this is an authentication issue and i have repeatedly created new PPPoE connections (even tried connecting in bridging mode)...one of the member here replied to my previous post regarding the same matter and said i should search the forums as there was a similar issue some weeks back, how ever i could not find any relating to my prob...now i am listing all the possible causes that i have cancelled out

1- i have changed my password many times so i think my id pass is not being misused.

2- also checked with 1218, at the time i could not log-in, and no one was using my id at that time.

3- my line is clear and line man has changed the pairs (or so he said)

4- my exchange's dsl officer has changed the ports as well (atleast he says he has) as he thought this might be the ultimate solution to the problem but even this has failed to resolve the issue.

5- i can find no visible wires connected to my line's copperwire running from my house to the pole. (i thought as a last resort that may be some1 has put a 'kunda' on my line and may be my line is being misused since it has 4mb connection)

now i am at a complete loss...1218 cant help me, my dsl officer has no other solution, guys at lahore ptcl support havnt replied to the mail i sent them. the only thing left for me to do is to terminate this dsl ... but i really liked my 4mb connection.

so as a last hope i am asking all the cheeta's and gurus to please come forward and share your experiences and expertise, i have already tried every trick in the book....i should mention here that i have this suspicion that my line-man is involved in this and may be my line is being used to provide dsl to someone else in my area since if you know id pass then any dsl-enabled line can be used to go online. so is there a way to check this?

any helpful suggesstion and idea is more than welcome...but please do not suggest anything which has already been mentioned above.

thanks

So you have taken care of the phone line before it enters

your home. Let's suppose it's all fine at PTCL's end.

Some things needs clearing up. With respect to internet

outages, are they fairly consistent as regards to the time

of day ?, every day ?. Are those peak times for internet

traffic ?. Does your modem unsync at all ?. When the red

light is on, how are your stats ?. Low SNR ?, high Atten ?.

Also, does the DSL line come straight to your room ?. Are

you using a filter, before your modem ?.

Sheikh 'Need Input' Chilli

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

So you have taken care of the phone line before it enters

your home. Let’s suppose it’s all fine at PTCL’s end.

Some things needs clearing up. With respect to internet

outages, are they fairly consistent as regards to the time

of day ?, every day ?. Are those peak times for internet

traffic ?. Does your modem unsync at all ?. When the red

light is on, how are your stats ?. Low SNR ?, high Atten ?.

Also, does the DSL line come straight to your room ?. Are

you using a filter, before your modem ?.

Sheikh ‘Need Input’ Chilli

[/quote]

the internet outages are pretty consistent…i have no internet access daily from around 11:30am to late in the night sometimes till 1-2am…sometimes if i am lucky i might have net access at any random hour in the day…how ever after dsl officer said that they have changed ports i got internet for whole 3days (except from 8pm -11:30pm on all 3days)

another thing which i first noticed was that the problem started after my computer (and the modem) shutdown due to load shedding and after light went off and computer/modem was started again then the net wont come back and i get red light.

i dont get what you mean by modem unsync but my power light and the ADSl light they remain yellow and stable through out the outage.

and i havent captured my stats when there is red light…i’ll remember doing it today if i get red light anytime, since today i am not facing any internet outage…(this again makes me wonder if someone IS using my line as today is tenth of moharrum and may b the person who is misusing my line is busy with ashura procession)

hmmm

red light = low voltage @ modem...

enuff with the pair n stuff....its a pure backend authentication issue....if u could manage to get some other username/pass...for testing purpose u can solve the issue...if smone is putting kundi on ur line then technically ur DSL should go off instead of green turning red....DSL light shows ur connectivity to dslam...this ensures tht no problem from house till exchange....you should get ur user refreshed or a danda from higherups....this is a small prob at NOC which they ain't payin attention to solve.

i tried using a friends device(same modem) with his user name and password...but still the problem persisted and i could not go online...how ever just like with my username n device i got online after 11:30 with frnds device n id/pass....

@mazahyr...1- does this mean that authentication issue is with my telephone connection? because even with different id/pass and device, the authentication issue was still thre

2- how to get my user refreshed? i have already created new PPPoE connections so many times.

3- i have no source in ptcl high ups ... my exchange's dsl guy seems helpful enuf and he did mention tht he has extensively checked with NOC and there is no issue there...he said ports need to be refreshed/changed and according to him he has done tht but still i have the same issue

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter, you can check the

change in voltage across the pairs, when the DSL is

working and when it's not. Usually it's ~5V. If there is an

appreciable change, then you will at least know that it

is a problem with your line and not your ISP.

Sheikh 'Meter' Chilli

so if there is a change in voltage then i need to get my copperwire changed? is that wat you are suggesting? by the way i dont have a voltmeter

look u've been mentioning it time and again tht internet goes off not the DSL...tht means tht connectivity to the DSLAM is okay....now the DSLAM is not letting you through AAA...this is has got to do with the DSLAM or AAA at NOC...if there was a low SNR or pair issue then you should have a consistent blinking on DSL LED...get your complaint registered on 1218 untill the prob gets solved.....and just out of curiosity change ur wire if u want so....go and talk to the "D" of ur exchange...and tell him to resolve this issue this is wat u r paid for..this ain't a user's duty to diagnose and rectify a complaint....by refreshing user i mean from NOC not on your end....get ur account refreshed from back-end...and try to speak to a supervisor CSR at 1218 not the ones who attend ur call...!

@mazahyr what i dont understand is tht if it really is issue with NOC or AAA servers lyk u say then how does it starts working at random times...like today i wasnt expecting it to work till late in the nyt..but it started working after the modem was sudenly shut down due to loadshedding and then restarted 5mins later on generator...this happened in the morning too...i am not an expert not even an engineer...but somehow it makes me think about voltage variations...is it possible tht when the device gets its due voltage then only it authenticates? .. but then if its really a voltage issue then how come i get stable ASDL link all the time even wen internet is RED and not working?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@mazahyr what i dont understand is tht if it really is issue with NOC or AAA servers lyk u say then how does it starts working at random times…like today i wasnt expecting it to work till late in the nyt…but it started working after the modem was sudenly shut down due to loadshedding and then restarted 5mins later on generator…this happened in the morning too…i am not an expert not even an engineer…but somehow it makes me think about voltage variations…is it possible tht when the device gets its due voltage then only it authenticates? … but then if its really a voltage issue then how come i get stable ASDL link all the time even wen internet is RED and not working?
[/quote]

Actually ur mixing two voltage issues…shiekh_chilli mentioned the line voltage not the modem voltage…he was referring to the drop in voltage as a noise(SNR)…wat you devised is tht ur device is getting low voltage…whereas if this is the issue then the experiment u did with ur friends modem shouldn’t have showed this at all…one more thing can u post the line stats of ur modem during internet not working and when it works…this will clear the picture and will let us help in clearing the problem…!

ZXDSL 831CII. Lahore DHA. Similar thing happening since last couple of days. Net stops working from late at night till some time in the morning. Has happened for the last 2 days. DSL light is fine, but internet light goes off.