External Hard Drive: Transcend Rugged Series vs Western Digital?

I am planning to buy a external hard drive for backing up my collections and data.

500GB seems enough for me. I came across following two options:

- Western Digital Passport

- Transcent Rugged Series

Both offer same storage size with 2.0 capabilities. Price difference is negligible (WD about 300 PKR cheaper and 3.0 supported too).

I need advice on which one to go for ? Currently I have laptop without 3.0 USB but maybe in future il consider a laptop with 3.0 support. Will a USB 2.0 HDD work with laptop with 3.0 ports?

Moreover I havent read any reviews on both. WD seems more popular brand as I see people around owning WD Portable HDDs while Transcend appears to be newer thing but it's rugged series and I want my portable HDD to be a safe place for all my data i have gathered over the years. So which one do you advise (based on experience)

Regards

Purely speaking by experience only

1 - WD have faults, like all drives do.. but atleast WD is mostly repairable if somethig does go wrong.. transcend is not a new brand.. it has been here for ages.. just that they havent dont proper marketting and distribution.. they are very old

2 - All USB products are back`ward and forward compatible.. any usb1 device will work on usb 3 and 2 on 3, and 3 on 2 and 3 on 1 etc.. only difference will be of speed.. which wont be significant unless u are using an SSD over USB 3 port, , then speeds will be amazing

Thanks. I see WD's Digital Passport is both 2.0 and 3.0 compatible. Where as the Transcend has two versions for same size, one with 2.0 and another with 3.0. If I buy 2.0, would I be able to connect it using 3.0 interface ?

Also how is build quality of WD? Rugged series of transcend only attracts me due to its apparent security and protection from falls, physical damages.

Try to avoid external HDDs having the SATA-USB bridge chip on the HDD PCB. They will be a !@#$% to repair and extract data from in case there is a failure.

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:3, topic:20351”]

Thanks. I see WD's Digital Passport is both 2.0 and 3.0 compatible. Where as the Transcend has two versions for same size, one with 2.0 and another with 3.0. If I buy 2.0, would I be able to connect it using 3.0 interface ?

Also how is build quality of WD? Rugged series of transcend only attracts me due to its apparent security and protection from falls, physical damages.

[/quote]

Every USB drive is every where compatible in every PC and laptop in the world with any form of a USB port.. so forget worrying about it.

Rugged drives are always better as they are built with a bit more quality in case design and can withstand some damage,

Speed difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is almost negligible, unless you are using an external SSD.

[quote=“Asad, post:4, topic:20351”]

Try to avoid external HDDs having the SATA-USB bridge chip on the HDD PCB. They will be a !@#$% to repair and extract data from in case there is a failure.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, How can I found out about a particular portable HDD whether it has the SATA-USB chip or not ?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:5, topic:20351”]

Every USB drive is every where compatible in every PC and laptop in the world with any form of a USB port.. so forget worrying about it.

Rugged drives are always better as they are built with a bit more quality in case design and can withstand some damage,

Speed difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is almost negligible, unless you are using an external SSD.

[/quote]

Well I was confused due to availability of following two different products. Have a look:

http://www.vmart.pk/transcend-rugged-storejet-25h2p-500gb-usb-2.0-pakistan.html

http://www.vmart.pk/transcend-rugged-storejet-25h3p-500gb-usb-3.0-pakistan.html

From the offer, it looks like that if you buy the first one, it's only supported by 2.0 and cannot be used with 3.0

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:7, topic:20351”]

Well I was confused due to availability of following two different products. Have a look:

http://www.vmart.pk/transcend-rugged-storejet-25h2p-500gb-usb-2.0-pakistan.html

http://www.vmart.pk/transcend-rugged-storejet-25h3p-500gb-usb-3.0-pakistan.html

From the offer, it looks like that if you buy the first one, it's only supported by 2.0 and cannot be used with 3.0

[/quote]

Yaara USB 3.0 support doesn't matter if the external hard drive is a traditional mechanical HDD (i.e. 7200RPM wala). USB 3.0 will ONLY be really useful if you have an SSD based external drive.

USB spec is backward compatible. If you connect a USB 2.0 device to a USB 3.0 port on your computer, it will still work. The reason why there are two models is because the second one probably has a USB 3.0 connectivity -> which doesn't matter in this case because it's a traditional mechanical hard drive - you won't get much of the additional speed benefit that USB 3.0 provides.

Thanks a lot. I am clear now.

Mini-USB is better than Micro-USB connector with regards to connector reliability.

[quote="EngineBlock, post:6, topic:20351"]

Thanks for the advice, How can I found out about a particular portable HDD whether it has the SATA-USB chip or not ?

[/quote]

Slight difference in length but not easy to decipher unless its already known for the specific product. You may search online for product specific details.

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:6, topic:20351”]

[/quote]

Shake the disk.. if it rattles, even a little, its a bridge.. :) easy peasy :)

@asad what about wd my passport 3.0.??

I have a WD 1TB 3.0 external disk and it is fast i must say when we copy data to it using a SS USB port.

However, external disks are not 100% reliable. for backups, i suggest you use a caddy and insert a HDD in it.

Here is one being sold on OLX.

http://lahore.olx.com.pk/12-7mm-sata-caddy-for-2nd-sata-hdd-replace-your-dvd-with-hdd-iid-557996207