External Graphics Card for my Laptop

I bought a laptop, for gaming and work, back in 2013. it is a sony vaio. specs are corei7, 16gb and amd 7650. as you can see issue is graphics card. I hear that there are external cards for laptops which you plug in. i heard about one for dell. and some others. can those be used with every laptop? is it a good solution?

I considered getting one some time back but as far as I could tell it would require a separate monitor, and an express card or firewire slot on your laptop (its not too common), and even then it might not perform better than the integrated GPU you already have. Theres an exception with some alien-ware laptops but they have a special port for connecting which other laptops don't have because it is dell's propriety technology.

Might be better to rather invest in a cheap desktop for gaming. I pesonally got a dell with switchable AMD 8730 and it runs recent most games decently well while also giving a good battery life on the intel card for work.

gamer's don't own laptops for gaming, the own beasty pc's.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616

[quote=“cefspan, post:4, topic:21958”]

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616

[/quote]

this totally diminishes the main idea why and what laptops are build for. highly inconvenient.

Laptops are built for portability and power saving, sacrificing performance in the process. Using a laptop for high end gaming is like trying to win a formula one race with a hybrid car.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

If you are over 20 years age and can spend 25k on an adopter based graphics card for low to mid range gaming on the 1440p laptop screen, then you are better off with console gaming on bigger tv with a joypad.

Real G`s do it on the PC..

[quote=“MrKamran, post:5, topic:21958”]

this totally diminishes the main idea why and what laptops are build for. highly inconvenient.

[/quote]

but than, kam kharch bala nasheen :P

i don't suggest doing it, i am just pointing out the way if you really want to do it

[quote=“cefspan, post:8, topic:21958”]

but than, kam kharch bala nasheen :P

i don't suggest doing it, i am just pointing out the way if you really want to do it

[/quote]

arey bhai market main ab to core 2 duo 10 to 11k tak acha ajata jai, tora sahi budget bna ke pc khareed le bnda, long term investment than laptop.

If you are looking for portable gaming on a budget then you have the option of going for Laptops with Amd kaveri chips in them.

These Apu's have built in graphics and you can do at least some gaming on a budget:

More info here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Analysis-of-the-AMD-Kaveri-Notebook-Platform.118203.0.html

Thanks everyone for suggestions. What cefspan suggested would have worked fine cz i could have plugged it in when i wanted to play and remove it for other times. but that require pci port. which i don't have in my laptop. is there some thing which plugs in usb port. getting a new laptop means a cost of at least about 100 to 120k. desktop is not right for me due to my work requirements.

USB port even 3.0 isnt capable of any decent data throughput required by even a low end card.. pci--E was designed exactly for such bottlenecks allowing hundreds of GB of speeds compared to DIS-possible low speeds on the usb.