Explain how WIFI works?

Salam to all!!!

Well i have no experience and knowledge of WIFI technologies. I tried to google this topic but could hardly understand its function. I want to ask you people how WiFi works in mobile, and is this service free to use in PAkistan.

Hope you people will help me! Awaiting replies

Its free to use. It has no concerns with any mobile service provider.

What would be your main purpose of understanding this tech? just for knowledge or Some Project/experiment/technical job?

Your mobile just act as a wifi adapter. Wifi itself is wireless equivalent of Ethernet.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Its free to use. It has no concerns with any mobile service provider.

What would be your main purpose of understanding this tech? just for knowledge or Some Project/experiment/technical job?

[/quote]

Well, its just for knowledge which i think, is necessary to know about it. I just start cursing myself of not knowing these things and how they work when my friends start talking about these stuff and I am completely blank on this topic (although i have least interest in tech stuffs).

Well can you briefly explain how’s this free?

Also I came across the word “Hotspot” while googling, whats the relation with WiFi?

Thanks for reply!

Wifi is a wireless networking technology. A network consists of two or more computers connected together to share resources. Like this Internet we are using right now :)

Wifi has a limited radius or distance i.e. wifi is a Local Area Network (LAN) technology. Wifi enabled devices like PCs, laptops, some mobiles etc. can connect to the wifi network only within that radius. A wifi network that offers connected devices access to the Internet is called a hotspot. Given the high cost of Internet access in Pakistan free wifi hotspots are few and far in between. Usually they are found in malls where they are used to attract customers.

^Nice explaination.

Some technical info:

It is a radio wave technology used to communicate wirelessly over a limited distance. The frequency is between 2GHz to 5Ghz. Radio waves are analog signals which are converted into digital signals that can be computer understandable, that is done by that "hotspot" which works as both transmitter and reciever.

There are two protections used against unwanted interference WEP or WPA2.

I hope thats enough for general knowledge. :)

Actually it not between 2 and 5 GHz it is 2 or 5 ghz spectrum. And hotspot can be anything, your wifi router, Acess point, or even (in ad-hoc networks) your pc with a Wifi adapter.

Actually it not between 2 and 5 GHz it is 2 or 5 ghz spectrum. And hotspot can be anything, your wifi router, Acess point, or even (in ad-hoc networks) your pc with a Wifi adapter.
[/quote]

A hotspot is a wifi network that offers internet access. If it doesn’t offer internet access then its just an ordinary Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) not a hotspot.

You need to connect hotspot to some source of internet transmission to get access to internet.

Thanks to all for the information!!!!!!!:)

You are welcome, if you need any further you are free to post in these forums. :)

I hope we you guys didnt just help him do his homework.. :P

I hope we you guys didnt just help him do his homework… :P
[/quote]

For doing homework he could just copied http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi :P

OMG Wifi existed even before we had access to Pc.

Carnegie Mellon University built the first wireless Internet network in the world at their Pittsburgh campus in 1994,[24] long before Wi-Fi branding originated in 1999. Many traditional college campuses provide at least partial wireless Wi-Fi Internet coverage.

Drexel University in Philadelphia made history by becoming the United State’s first major university to offer completely wireless Internet access across the entire campus in 2000. [25]

[/quote]

http://www.cmu.edu/homepage/computing/2009/summer/wi-fi-origins.shtml

^Well thats some fact amazing!