Ethernet Cable Not Working, Please Help

Salam All,

I am sharing my internet with my neighbor using ethernet cable, it was working fine for almost 1.5 year but recently weird issue started. While the internet was connected and working fine for me my neighbor's computer shows a notification popup "network cable is unplugged" but his cable's light was blinking on my device.

I thought it is "connectors" issue so I went to computer shop and got new connectors fixed. But it is still not working. It just doesn't work at all, no light, no browsing.. nothing.

My "cable" is faulty or the connectors are not fixed correctly? - I didn't get them checked at the shop, my mistake :(

Could be both, or more. No way to be sure over here. Although I suspect the cable is damaged somewhere along the route. You need to check everything.

Devices only use two pair of Ethernet cable green and orange. Computers transmit on pins 1,2 and receive on pins 3,6 of NIC, two pairs blue and brown are free and may be they are not demage, change green and orange pair with blue and brown pair may be it will solve your problem.

[quote=“tarique970, post:3, topic:21199”]

Devices only use two pair of Ethernet cable green and orange. Computers transmit on pins 1,2 and receive on pins 3,6 of NIC, two pairs blue and brown are free and may be they are not demage, change green and orange pair with blue and brown pair may be it will solve your problem.

[/quote]

I cannot change pins myself, I will have to go to shop again I guess.

Cable was not touched for more than 1 year from its place. I don't understand how it got damage itself.

جانی ہر چیز نے ایک دن ختم ہونا ہوتا ہے اور آپ کی کیبل کی زندگی پوری ہو گئی ہے.

I have to change my cable every 1.5 year because of direct sunlight exposure. If rain happens in your area then your cable life shorten more.

Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using Tapatalk

There are different types of insulations on an ethernet

cable. Some are designed to be outside, others, not so

much. Direct exposure to weather will cause the thin

insulation on them to fall apart. They are so thin and

delicate to begin with, that you can take them apart with

your thumb and forefinger. I have installed mine in a

DADEX pipe.

Then there are sharp bends that can, over time, cause

internal tension and breakage.

Since you said that you didn't touch this cable, before it

went bad, and changing the connectors didn't work, it

increases the likelihood that it's not the connectors,

rather the cable itself.

To check the integrity of pairs inside an Ethernet wire

you can use the 'connectivity' function on a multi-meter.

Grab hold of both ends. Strip all the pairs on both ends.

Now using the prongs on your multi-meter you can check

if there is any breakage between any of the pairs inside..

Do this, if changing the connector doesn't work for you.

If there is a broken pair-wire inside the Ethernet wire, as

posters above have suggested, you don't have to throw

away the wire. You can simply designate it as a redundant

pair and make new connections accordingly.

Hope this works out for you.

Sheikh 'Dil Kay Taar ChaiRTay Hoey' Chilli

It is part of a family of copper cabling standards defined jointly by the Electronic Industries Alliance and the Telecommunications Industry Association and defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Although designed to reliably carry data up to 10 Mbit/s, modern data networks run at much higher speeds, and Cat5e or Cat6 is now used for all new installations - and some large institutions even require any repairs or additions to existing buildings that currently use Cat3 to be upgraded to Cat5e.[1]

[quote=“sheikh_chilli, post:6, topic:21199”]

Then there are sharp bends that can, over time, cause

internal tension and breakage.

[/quote]

Yes, my cable has one very sharp bend (don't remember why it happened) but it is very sharp. I think from there the inner wires are broken.

I will get it to the shop to check again.

اتنی گرمی میں کھجل حوار ہونے سے بہتر ہے جانی نئی تار خرید لو اس لارڈ پڑوسی کے لیے