English tutor required

Asalaam o Alaikum,

I require an English tutor, who can help me in improving my English writing skills. I would like the teaching process to be completely online i.e. all communication by email or MSN.

Please reply or email me at shakilmujeeb at gmail d0t com with your credentials and demand, if you are interested.

P.S. The tutor must have a very good English and he must be living in Karachi

Heh, I'd be very surprised if one could learn an entire language just by email or MSN. The very thought of it makes me laugh.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Heh, I’d be very surprised if one could learn an entire language just by email or MSN. The very thought of it makes me laugh.
[/quote]

He only wants to improve his writing skills. But that too is difficult on msn. Could be possible if using a whiteboard with voice chat software

The best way to improve your written skills is through reading. The more you read, the better your grasp of the language. You get a 'feel' for the language and it comes naturally to you. Spoken on the other hand can only be improved by speaking. The two are also not necessarily related. I've seen people who can speak fluently, yet their written skills are very bad, and vice versa.

Don't waste your time with tutors. Get yourself a copy of "The Elements of Style" and you'll become a writing guru yourself.

Other than that, good writing can not be taught. It can only be learned through practice. Reading alone wouldn't take you far if you don't write often.

What kind of writing do you want to learn anyway? Business writing, fiction writing, copywriting, etc.? (yes, it's copy-writing, not copy-righting)

Asalaam o Alaikum,

Firstly, I am not new to the English language, but even the most skillful writer needs to hone his skills. I have a habit of reading all sort of stuffs (in English) and I think that I have fairly decent vocabulary (by general standards). But speaking and writing can be a totally different beast to master. One can only master them through practice. Yes, try to speak with an American in English and you will know.

I have also register for the GRE and TOEFL exams, so I have an urgent need to practice my writing skills. Writing, all alone, will not help much as I will not be able to pinpoint my own mistakes. Also, I long for a successful career in research, teaching and book/blog authoring, so tutoring will help, inshallah.

Asalaam o Alaikum,

Firstly, I am not new to the English language, but even the most skillful writer needs to hone his skills. I have a habit of reading all sort of stuffs (in English) and I think that I have fairly decent vocabulary (by general standards). But speaking and writing is a totally different beast to master. One can only be master them through practice. Yes, try to speak with American in English and you will know.

I have also register for the GRE and TOEFL exams, so I have an urgent need to practice my writing skills. Writing, all alone, will not help much as I will not be able to pinpoint my own mistakes. Also, I long for a successful career in research, teaching and book/blog authoring, so tutoring will help, inshallah.

[/quote]

Your written english seems to be pretty decent. Don’t worry about the TOEFL. Its stupid easy. I got a perfect on it. I don’t know about the GRE though. That’ll probably be a lot more difficult.

I want the tutoring to be online because I don't require any basic or elementary level tutoring of English. Tutoring online can be much faster and flexible, in terms of spare time, both for the teacher and the student. What do you think?

to improve ur writin remember the 3 "R" of writin

READ!

READ!

READ!

Not sure about the elements of style book, but I strongly recommend the Economist's Style Guide which explains the do's and don'ts of writing wonderfully well.

I am pretty sure I saw it at Liberty Books.

p.s. I edited graduate school essays while at university for good $$$, its amazing what a little bit of spit and polish can do for you....

Good luck

Which book is recommended for improving speaking skills?

Which book is recommended for improving speaking skills?
[/quote]

Book for speaking? You learn to speak BY speaking! :) Thats the only way to become fluent!

Book for speaking? You learn to speak BY speaking! :) Thats the only way to become fluent!

[/quote]

I can speak fluently but my pronunciation is weak :(

I can speak fluently but my pronunciation is weak :(

[/quote]

Pronunciation varies significantly with the accent you (choose to) speak in. For example American and British pronunciation of words are very different, and theres even a difference between American and Canadian english. The good thing about online dictionaries nowadays is that they come with audio pronunciation. I like to use Merriam-Webster: www.m-w.com

Every word has an audio file associated with it, and you can listen to the correct pronunciation! :) Good way to start!

I have talked with a lot of clients on phone (I sell domains/sites so sometimes i have to call to give info etc) and some friends fom USA.They told me that your English is perfect but i speak in American accent and in Pakistan you know people are using totally different accent (British) So what is the best way to learn British Accent and a lot of people consider British the best accent.

I have talked with a lot of clients on phone (I sell domains/sites so sometimes i have to call to give info etc) and some friends form USA they told me that your English is perfect but i speak in American accent and in Pakistan you know people are using totally different accent (British) So what is the best way to learn British Accent.
[/quote]

Well, first of all people in Pakistan speak in a neutral accent. A neutral accent is closer to a British accent, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Pakistani, having lived in Pakistan his/her life, speaking in a pure British accent! :) So why would you WANT a British accent. Personally I find them rather pretentious. ;)

Well, first of all people in Pakistan speak in a neutral accent. A neutral accent is closer to a British accent, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Pakistani, having lived in Pakistan his/her life, speaking in a pure British accent! :) So why would you WANT a British accent. Personally I find them rather pretentious. ;)

[/quote]

A lot of people in Pakistan think that American accent sucks (I’ve met several English Tutors and all of them perfer British over American Accent).

A lot of people in Pakistan think that American accent sucks (I’ve met several English Tutors and all of them perfer British over American Accent).

[/quote]

Bah. As long as you speak fluently, your accent doesn’t particularly matter. And changing accents isn’t really the easiest thing to do. The reason for the British preference is obvious. They ruled the subcontinent for almost a century, and their influence is still present. Don’t bother! :)

Yeah if they don't understand American Accent then it's not my problem ;).I have a friend from Canada and i told him to write me a essay about something and he wrote it for me and my teacher checked it and was like wtf is this..sentences formation etc is wrong lol.It was written very nicely...

I volunteer Imzamulhaq.

"BisMillahArahmanarahem, the boyz is plays very wells. Yes yes. The pitch has good. Thanks to Allah, the boyz has plays very wells. We gots lucky and the boyz has excellent parformance, yes yes, Thanks to Allah, okay big mac bye"

;)