End to End Error Detection - Failed

Salam

I was checking health of my seagate 500GB hdd using HDD Tune and the results showed me that End to End Error Detection failed. Below is the snapshot of results.

Kindly advise me what does it mean and what should I do now as a remedy. There's is another warning. Advise on that too.

Regards,

Anyone?

Saleen - how old is that drive? I suspect the reason the test is failing is because of a CRC mismatch, which would also seem to explain your other problem. Try changing the cable, delete/purge the logs and run the tests again to see if there is any change. Hope this helps.

End-to-End error S.M.A.R.T. parameter is a part of HP's SMART IV technology and it means that after transferring through the cache RAM data buffer, the parity data between the host and the hard drive did not match. For detailed information see SMART IV Documentation from HP.

Source: http://kb.acronis.com/content/9119

If its the only drive you have; you can use non-destructive low level format utility e.g. Spinwrite or if you can afford to wipe it then destroy partition, re-partition and then low level format (not quick format). Hopefully this would resolve the issue.

[quote=“hashimk, post:3, topic:15645”]

Saleen - how old is that drive? I suspect the reason the test is failing is because of a CRC mismatch, which would also seem to explain your other problem. Try changing the cable, delete/purge the logs and run the tests again to see if there is any change. Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Its just 1 year old. Bought in September last year. I’ll change the cables and report back. Thanks!

[quote=“scuzzy, post:4, topic:15645”]

End-to-End error S.M.A.R.T. parameter is a part of HP’s SMART IV technology and it means that after transferring through the cache RAM data buffer, the parity data between the host and the hard drive did not match. For detailed information see SMART IV Documentation from HP.

Source: http://kb.acronis.com/content/9119

If its the only drive you have; you can use non-destructive low level format utility e.g. Spinwrite or if you can afford to wipe it then destroy partition, re-partition and then low level format (not quick format). Hopefully this would resolve the issue.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info and solution. If cable changing doesn’t work then i’ll follow your advice and report back. Thanks!