End of Analog-TV Era in USA

By 12:01 a.m. Saturday, June 13, 2009. All analog TV broadcast in USA will cease and broadcasters will deliver only digital TV broadcast. Without a converter box, satellite service or cable hook-up, analog TVs will deliver only static now.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
(CNN) -- An era in American broadcast television will end Friday as the nation finishes its delayed transition to digital TV.

By 12:01 a.m. Saturday, broadcasters must have shut down their outdated analog transmitters, leaving static to watch for those who are not ready.

Stations all over the country will be making the historic switch all day Friday, Federal Communications Commission officials said.

American TV viewers were given four extra months to get ready for the switch, when Congress voted early this year to delay the digital TV transition.

At that time, an estimated 6.5 million homes -- including many elderly, poor and disabled Americans -- weren't prepared for a February 17 switch to digital, supporters argued.

"In any change this big, there are going to be disruptions," said Michael Copps, the Federal Communications Commission acting chairman. "We are trying our best to provide people, especially those who are most at-risk, with the help they need to make the switch as smoothly as possible. And we're going to keep offering it after June 12, so people should call us at 1-888-CALL-FCC."

People who pay for cable or satellite TV service are unaffected by the change.

Republicans opposed the delay, saying the government had given people years to prepare.

The end of analog television frees up that part of the broadcast spectrum for other uses.

The federal government raked in $20 billion in auctions by selling licenses for the frequencies vacated by local television stations for other commercial uses. Some of the frequencies also have been reserved for emergency agencies to use for communications.

Stations have been broadcasting in digital and analog for the past several years, but the switch puts an end to the transition and a form of broadcasting that's existed since the first regularly scheduled television service began in the United States in 1928.

[/quote]

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/12/digital.TV/index.html

What do you think guys? A transaction from old analog to digital TV is about to happen in USA while almost all TV channels in Pakistan are analog (except satellite). Even most of our cable-TV is analog. I don't know any cable-TV in Pakistan who relay signal in digital.

Do you think are we left behind? Or USA's transfer to digital TV is too early?

We're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind

Look at them and then look at us. Their govt is taking their people into a whole new era and our govt is pushing us into the era when the electricity did't exist :D

Look at them and then look at us. Their govt is taking their people into a whole new era and our govt is pushing us into the era when the electricity did’t exist :D
[/quote]

True, a.k.a. Cave Age :D

It's good to know they finally made the switch.

Others will follow now.

With Pakistan leading the african countries, to switch in 2036.

It’s good to know they finally made the switch.

Others will follow now.

With Pakistan leading the african countries, to switch in 2036.

[/quote]

LOL :lol:

By the way, African countries are not that backward especially South Africa and countries around it. DStv is a digital satellite service. It is much older and mature than India’s Tata Sky and DishTV.

Pakistan is well behind in digital era, so behind that nothing has yet started. The only “digital” thing we have is PTCL’s digital TV which is still in infancy age.

... duplicate ...

how can we expect some advancement in TV world when our lousy cable operators call for strikes each time they fear some one gonna take off their bizz ..... like recently all were shouting to PTA not to give license to new cable service applicants , dont they have water in balls to face competition ?

how can we expect some advancement in TV world when our lousy cable operators call for strikes each time they fear some one gonna take off their bizz … like recently all were shouting to PTA not to give license to new cable service applicants , dont they have water in balls to face competition ?
[/quote]

Our cable-TV operators are also one of the example of cruelest monopolies and cartels in Pakistan. That’s why they try all kind of dirty tricks to keep new comer out of this business.

Our cable-TV operators are also one of the example of cruelest monopolies and cartels in Pakistan. That’s why they try all kind of dirty tricks to keep new comer out of this business.

[/quote]

Wow Another cartel. Let me count the ones I know:

>Land Mafia

>Milk Mafia

>Cotton Mafia

>(Punjab & Sindh especially) Sabzi mafia

>Transport Mafia

>Film Mafia

>Wheat (Roti) Mafia

>Construction Mafia (Very dangerous people(Army,Parties, etc))

>Export mafia (Very rare, but strike deadly at innocent opponents)

>Soon to be: Sindhi Media Mafia (Very much like the Film Mafia)

> and Now Cable Mafia

Wow Another cartel. Let me count the ones I know:

>Land Mafia

>Milk Mafia

>Cotton Mafia

>(Punjab & Sindh especially) Sabzi mafia

>Transport Mafia

>Film Mafia

>Wheat (Roti) Mafia

>Construction Mafia (Very dangerous people(Army,Parties, etc))

>Export mafia (Very rare, but strike deadly at innocent opponents)

>Soon to be: Sindhi Media Mafia (Very much like the Film Mafia)

> and Now Cable Mafia

[/quote]

Yup, the list goes on and on. You didn’t mentioned

* Government Officers Mafia (all classes A, B, C, D has their own mafias)

* Army/Navy/Airforce Officers Mafia

* Politicians Mafia

And the famous of all:

* Cartel by Government Officers and Armed Forces Officers (nothing can go against them).

P.S. I have a friendly suggestion that please use any other character than “>” for lists. Because “>” is used in internet (emails, forums etc.) to show that you are quoting previous post. Just a friendly suggestion. :)

P.S. I have a friendly suggestion that please use any other character than “>” for lists. Because “>” is used in internet (emails, forums etc.) to show that you are quoting previous post. Just a friendly suggestion. :)

[/quote]

Oh Sorry!!!

Is there any link I could look into the meaning of these symbols/characters.

Also

The following

* Government Officers Mafia (all classes A, B, C, D has their own mafias)

* Army/Navy/Airforce Officers Mafia

* Politicians Mafia

* Cartel by Government Officers and Armed Forces Officers (nothing can go against them).

Are not really mafias or cartels. The ones above are really stake holders to all the others I have mentioned. Majority of government employees are casted off after a new government comes. The rest remain with request of mafias. These guys are not permanent but temps and serve their purpose only when the mafias sees fit. Political parties are not really mafias, as all parties have similar characteristics and goals (even U.S). The things they truly manipulate is fear and love of the people (Ultimate power).

digital tv is already here isn't it? (in Pakistan)

or is this post disscussing something different from the digital tv services being offered by nayatel and worldcall? what about PTCL SMART TV doesn't that count as digital?

off topic, but

have water in balls
[/quote]

first time I've heard that one, what are its origins....?

first time I’ve heard that one, what are its origins…?

[/quote]

According to our news sources, the origins of the water is …the balls

digital tv is already here isn’t it? (in Pakistan)

or is this post disscussing something different from the digital tv services being offered by nayatel and worldcall? what about PTCL SMART TV doesn’t that count as digital?

[/quote]

Well I did mentioned it in my previous post:

The only “digital” thing we have is PTCL’s digital TV which is still in infancy age.
[/quote]

PTCL’s Smart TV (Digital TV over broad-band) and compare with digital TV percentage usage and variety in USA and other European countries is like comparing a sand-castle to Egyptian Great Pyramids.

Does Pakistan have any analog channel (analog cable TV does not count) other than PTV channels ?

’]Does Pakistan have any analog channel (analog cable TV does not count) other than PTV channels ?
[/quote]

ATV

’]Does Pakistan have any analog channel (analog cable TV does not count) other than PTV channels ?
[/quote]

There was used to be NTM (privately own FTA channel) run by Shaheen Cables. But I do not know its fate. :expressionless: I think PTV acquired it or something.

There was used to be NTM (privately own FTA channel) run by Shaheen Cables. But I do not know its fate. :expressionless: I think PTV acquired it or something.

[/quote]

it became ATV, and I think it was Shalimar Broadcasting Company not Shaheen Cables…

waise NTM was a pretty good channel when it first started off…they used to show one movie after Khabarnama everyday… I must have watched tremors 10 times on it…

it became ATV, and I think it was Shalimar Broadcasting Company not Shaheen Cables…

waise NTM was a pretty good channel when it first started off…they used to show one movie after Khabarnama everyday… I must have watched tremors 10 times on it…

[/quote]

Thanks for correction, yes it was Shalimar Broadcasting Company. The famous Shalimar Recording was the parent company. The small beard guy (can’t recall his name but recalled his face) was its head. He used to get into the line of fire for relaxing many things on TV (NTM). At that time, TV was used to be a very strict medium with a very long list of “DO NOT DO THIS”. :)