Electrical Engineers! need ur help regarding an AC Motor issue

AOA,

guys the problem is that my dad recently got the tube well's pump's motor replaced with a 30HP motor as suggested by an electrician because the old motor, that had 20HP rated output, got burnt thrice due to low voltage supplied to our farm. Now he is asking me to find a relation between the power consumed and the rated output of a motor in order to find the extra power consumed by the bigger motor... please help me with this..

And one thing more, would the new motor be able to bear the pump's load in case of low voltage from the feeder without getting burnt?? And is that an economical thing to do??

P.S. i'm really bad at electrical stuff so plz be very elaborate in ur replies.

1 horse power is about 746W. Of course, motor efficiency and performance varies and that has to be factored in too.

there are many factors which has to be taken into account if u want to find even rough estimate of power consumed as per your dad instructed...these factors include the losses of the motor..What is the percentage of the losses of the motor...What is the approximate load which motor has to bear..??

Is it a three-phase motor? What difference would a 30hp motor make as opposed to 20hp motor if you have voltage issues? A 30hp motor would consumer dramatically more power starting up (locked rotor amps) so I fail to see how a larger motor negates voltage issues....

installing a biigger motor under voltage issues is not a wise idea !

i did face the same thing on my farm too (tht was a sub-merge) normally called as summer.

thanks everybody.. there must be many other things that should be brought into consideration for the consumption and all that..

so what, according to you, is the logical thing to do in the current scenario??

PS. yes it is a three phase motor.

no it is not wise to install a bigger motor in this scenario. it is better go for a pole mounted transformer and it will eliminate this problem insha ALLAH

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

AOA,

guys the problem is that my dad recently got the tube well’s pump’s motor replaced with a 30HP motor as suggested by an electrician because the old motor, that had 20HP rated output, got burnt thrice due to low voltage supplied to our farm. Now he is asking me to find a relation between the power consumed and the rated output of a motor in order to find the extra power consumed by the bigger motor… please help me with this…

And one thing more, would the new motor be able to bear the pump’s load in case of low voltage from the feeder without getting burnt?? And is that an economical thing to do??

P.S. i’m really bad at electrical stuff so plz be very elaborate in ur replies.

[/quote]

Hi dear, 30 HP motor is real powerful than a 20 HP. Now just calculate that 1HP is equal to 746 Watt.

As for the low voltage operation please switch off the motor otherwise it will burn and it is not necessary that it is 1 HP motor or 30 HP motor. The only thing that can save is an AC voltage regulator.

deleted