Eight million unregistered SIMs blocked

ISLAMABAD (July 26 2008): The initiative taken by Senate's Standing Committee on Interior to curb unregistered Subscriber Identity Modules (SIMs) Card culture has resulted in blockage of eight million unidentified connections, said Senator Talha Mehmood, Chairman of the committee, here on Friday.

Addressing a press conference, he said that Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of five mobile companies operating in the country had held a meeting with him regarding the actions taken by their firms. Talha said that the committee held 31 meetings to address the issue. "I have called an urgent meeting of the committee on August 7 to formulate future strategy," he added.

i think they blocked those numbers which were already in-active...!

Please ask them to provide the list of blocked numbers, by the way in my surroundings no one complained that their number was blocked, though many of them use un-registered SIMs...!

Which operator blocked the most SIMs?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

ISLAMABAD (July 26 2008): The initiative taken by Senate’s Standing Committee on Interior to curb unregistered Subscriber Identity Modules (SIMs) Card culture has resulted in blockage of eight million unidentified connections, said Senator Talha Mehmood, Chairman of the committee, here on Friday.

Addressing a press conference, he said that Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of five mobile companies operating in the country had held a meeting with him regarding the actions taken by their firms. Talha said that the committee held 31 meetings to address the issue. “I have called an urgent meeting of the committee on August 7 to formulate future strategy,” he added.

[/quote]

Interesting news,Iftikhar Chaudhry gets the credit for ordering regulation of the while sim registration process.

It is important how is it implemented…And who gets the blame for the sims that have not been registered because people(like me)gave the id card to the retailer but the retailers never forwarded it. I still have no clue if buying sim from a retailer is legal, I absolutely had no such hunch 3 years back. Although I did throw that sim away and now I have a number registered on my name.

The most important part in this whole scenario is how they regulate the whole thing from here on. And I feel sorry for the illiterate people who got their sims blocked due to unawareness of the whole matter…

At the same time,I can not stress on the importance of the fact that sims are registered on the name of people who actually use them. And they should claim responsibility and legal ownership of the number.

"خس کم جہاں پاک" ;)

but i guess most of the sims blocked were not in-use anyway, just like someone said above.

Really? A telenor sim i bought from their franchise 2 years back, which was inactive till last week is still unblocked. I just had a 10 rs. easyload on it to see if its registered to someone. The reply i got after sending a blank sms to 667 is

Dear Customer! Your Telenor number is registered in the name of JAVAID SULIMAN with CNIC *****-*******-*. And ICCID is ************

If i had bought this from one of the local shops or PCO then it would have been different. I bought this sim from their own franchise, the one in front of expo center. Seems they are registering unregistered sim's to whoever they feel like. I can only wonder how many sim's there would be on my NIC which other operators might have registered to me :/

I have Zong and telenor sims but neither of them is blocked :) i rarely use those sims but after checking them today i came to know that these are still active and unregistered :)

Also there should be some method to know how many sims are register to my name :)

ya you have to take your nic to them and they will tell you how many sims are registered to your name at their office

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Really? A telenor sim i bought from their franchise 2 years back, which was inactive till last week is still unblocked. I just had a 10 rs. easyload on it to see if its registered to someone. The reply i got after sending a blank sms to 667 is

Dear Customer! Your Telenor number is registered in the name of JAVAID SULIMAN with CNIC *****-******-. And ICCID is ************

If i had bought this from one of the local shops or PCO then it would have been different. I bought this sim from their own franchise, the one in front of expo center. Seems they are registering unregistered sim’s to whoever they feel like. I can only wonder how many sim’s there would be on my NIC which other operators might have registered to me :confused:

[/quote]

This is true,the other day while jogging I overheard the telecom guys whinning about they are hunting for id cards like dogs to fill the paperwork.

My servant got an sms from Ufone saying his sim would be blocked unless (thats the interesting part) he sends them his id card number by sms.. I sent his id card number by sms and they replied..Thanks ..

I bought a zong sim last month and registered my sim over the telephone..Imagine..They just asked for my id card number..Thats ALL..And that too on the phone..