EDGE/GPRS unlimited for fring

assalam alaikum,

i have 2 questions.

1) I am from UK and want to know which mobile operator provides good quality for Fring (skype) voice on their unlimited GPRS/EDGE internet package in karachi. Also whether these packages are truly unlimited and no cap limits in terms of Gigabytes etc. i heard in terms of cost they are Rs500/month. I hope that fring skype voice does not gets blocked like other voip solution like SIP in pakistan.

2) I need to buy a cheap smartsphone in pakistan which has fring, camera (optional) ,edge,wireless (optional). camera/wireless will be handy so that the person in pakistan can use http://qik.com/ or similar serivce to it.

jazakallah

anyone please...

on GPRS/EDGE dont think that video call can work

voice quality is also very poor on it

for video and voice both you have to use wifi both ends for the good quality

and YES on GPRS/EDGE u can chat and share pics & video clips on FRING AND NIMBUZZ.

almost average mobile phones supported both software just GOOGLE it

video call only supported still in FRING

&

currently supported on Nokia touch (such as X6, N97 mini,N97, 5800), N95, N95 8G and N82 devices.

Video call will only work on 3G signals. Pakistan doesn't have 3G over cellular (not yet, atleast). Voice, however, will work but there will be latency.

There aren't really unlimited data packages here in Pakistan for prepaid (you need a postpaid connection for unlimited data). Not sure why you'd want to use Qik here, but uploading data via cellular is painfully slow.

WRT your smartphone query: the best thing to do is bring a phone from the UK. People tend to ask their operator for an unlock code (cause it's cheaper to use a local SIM rather than paying for roaming fees) and then use the phones here.

sorry if i have confused anyone.

definitely on edge i don't plan to use qik. thats why my second query asked for wireless/camera because i want to use it from my home network there.

i do intend to use fring (voice) over edge but as your experiences are saying that the quality is not good. have you people used it recently.

@triwhdxk

you really doing coufuce every one,because you not telling clearley to every one that what you want really? Listen now

I think you need fring in pakistan for vedio call through wifi in home or out? right

so first of all fring vedio call would not be work in pakistan at GPRS.but you can do voice call on GPRS. Mobilink providing ulimited internet on 500 rups per month.

so you can use fring vedio call and voice call with wift and voice only with GPRS.

Now your second question about the fring phone

if you go fring website so you can find the list of all phone which are support with firng application

but for vedio call 1 most impotant thing that you need the mobile which have front camera will work with fring vedio call few famous mobile are

nokia 97,nokia 95,nokia 5800 ,nokia E71, all those mobile how got front camera and wifi in mobile

me and my all family using fring every where.uk, pak,UAE,QATAR,Saudia,Candada.

if you have more query about mobile voip applications or mobile voip ask me

@triwhdxk

you really doing coufuce every one,because you not telling clearley to every one that what you want really? Listen now

I think you need fring in pakistan for vedio call through wifi in home or out? right

so first of all fring vedio call would not be work in pakistan at GPRS.but you can do voice call on GPRS. Mobilink providing ulimited internet on 500 rups per month.

so you can use fring vedio call and voice call with wifi and voice only with GPRS.

Now your second question about the fring phone

if you go fring website so you can find the list of all phone which are support with firng application

but for vedio call 1 most impotant thing that you need the mobile which have front camera will work with fring vedio call few famous mobile are

nokia 97,nokia 95,nokia 5800 ,nokia E71, all those mobile how got front camera and wifi in mobile

me and my all family using fring every where.uk, pak,UAE,QATAR,Saudia,Candada.

if you have more query about mobile voip applications or mobile voip ask me

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

sorry if i have confused anyone.

definitely on edge i don’t plan to use qik. thats why my second query asked for wireless/camera because i want to use it from my home network there.

i do intend to use fring (voice) over edge but as your experiences are saying that the quality is not good. have you people used it recently.

[/quote]

Doesn’t your current phone support wifi w/ camera? I’ve never really used Fring over wifi… but if that’s what you’re aiming for, why don’t you just get a PC (or laptop) and use MSN/Skype/whatever on that?

In case you’re thinking wifi’s everywhere in Pakistan, well - think again. It’s not. It’s in a number of hifi shops and all (for instance, SOME bakeries and icecream parlors) but not everywhere as such.

If you could be a little more clear on what exactly you’re aiming for, maybe we’d be better able to help you.

assalam alaikum,

i have 2 questions.

1) I am from UK and want to know which mobile operator provides good quality for Fring (skype) voice on their unlimited GPRS/EDGE internet package in karachi. Also whether these packages are truly unlimited and no cap limits in terms of Gigabytes etc. i heard in terms of cost they are Rs500/month. I hope that fring skype voice does not gets blocked like other voip solution like SIP in pakistan.

2) I need to buy a cheap smartsphone in pakistan which has fring, camera (optional) ,edge,wireless (optional). camera/wireless will be handy so that the person in pakistan can use http://qik.com/ or similar serivce to it.

jazakallah

[/quote]

I am using fring since October 2008 and on Ufone unlimited package. ITs true that video calls are available only over 3G or WIFI. We have wifi system in our house so at times I get connected to it for video calls, otherwise on my ufone connection it works mostly excellent, though at times the vocie clarity is not as clear as it should be but its sure a blessing for me, as the only means of connecting 24/7 with my daughter in UK is only possible with this great software.

I am using fring since October 2008 and on Ufone unlimited package. ITs true that video calls are available only over 3G or WIFI. We have wifi system in our house so at times I get connected to it for video calls, otherwise on my ufone connection it works mostly excellent, though at times the vocie clarity is not as clear as it should be but its sure a blessing for me, as the only means of connecting 24/7 with my daughter in UK is only possible with this great software.

[/quote]

Thank you yas. since ur using GPRS unlimited package i suppose, have u by any chance ever calculated how much Mega Bytes fringe consumes for say 1 hour of voice chat?

There was a thing I read on Fring (and I've tried it myself): 1MB (give or take a little - 100kb or so) per 15 min.

thanks a lot for the responses.

as people are using fring (voice) on ufone. i want to do the same on warid as that's the network my mother is using. is the quality good on warid.

to answer other people's concerns i plan to do video call only on wifi network in my home not outside.

i just wanted to find which is the cheapest mobile available that will support fring/wifi/camera.

I installed fring in my phone but unfortunately there was too much distortion..I couldn't even connect.I was using Zong edge.If ufone works then zong should also work..something is wrong with zong then true?

thanks a lot for the responses.

as people are using fring (voice) on ufone. i want to do the same on warid as that’s the network my mother is using. is the quality good on warid.

to answer other people’s concerns i plan to do video call only on wifi network in my home not outside.

i just wanted to find which is the cheapest mobile available that will support fring/wifi/camera.

[/quote]

I have been using Nokia Symbian phones, you can go for good used/2nd hand mobile phones, like 6120 classic or E51 according to your budget, but please while using fring DO NOT install Nimbuzz or else voip serv for each will halt voice chat and you will have problem.

as people are using fring (voice) on ufone. i want to do the same on warid as that’s the network my mother is using. is the quality good on warid.
[/quote]

It’s possible. You’ve got to check what the GPRS service is like in the area you’re using it in. The last time I used Zong (this was over a year, I think), GPRS stunk… almost dead slow. Ufone was a little better but not really good enough for decent browsing (compared with the other providers).

I can say that Telenor’s got pretty sturdy GPRS (cause I use it) albeit expensive (they don’t have any bundles). I’ve heard the same for Warid - except it’s cheaper to use their bundle than not use it (for e.g., in the bundle, you’ll pay Rs. 3/MB whereas without the bundle, you’ll pay Rs. 16/MB)

PS: tax not included.

PPS: GPRS = EDGE where available. In the metropolis, EDGE is available for most operators.

PPPS: I haven’t included Mobilink cause (a) I haven’t used them, (B) they’re expensive, and © their QoS is questionable - can’t say for GPRS/EDGE though

Hi all,

I am living in UK and am using 3 mobile contract phones to talk to my family back in Pakistan. The contract, that i was using, recently expired and the handset that i had, ive sent back home and got a new one instead on the renewal of my contract. However, what i wanted to ask was that, will my family be able to communicate with me, using a pre-installed skype on my previous handset, if they bought a local mobile sim card in pakistan with an unlimited internet package?

Kindly help me out in this matter.

Regards.

There was a thing I read on Fring (and I’ve tried it myself): 1MB (give or take a little - 100kb or so) per 15 min.
[/quote]

Is that with voice chat or just with Fring signed in for 15 minutes? Sorry I realise I am referring to a very old post, wonder if anyone knows.

I’m going for a post paid Telenor connection in a few days with unlimited (2gb) internet, and was wondering if 2gb would be enough for:

1. Nimbuzz signed in 24/7

2. Facebook/some other apps updating hourly or so

3. Some light browsing everyday.

Hope someone who already has a Telenor unlimited internet package can comment on this.

Hi all,

I am living in UK and am using 3 mobile contract phones to talk to my family back in Pakistan. The contract, that i was using, recently expired and the handset that i had, ive sent back home and got a new one instead on the renewal of my contract. However, what i wanted to ask was that, will my family be able to communicate with me, using a pre-installed skype on my previous handset, if they bought a local mobile sim card in pakistan with an unlimited internet package?

Kindly help me out in this matter.

Regards.

[/quote]

The thing is in Pakistan you would need a post paid connection for an unlimited connection, and very good quality EDGE coverage in your area for voice calls on Skype to work smoothly. You would have to test out different connections in your area, Telenor and Warid are your best bets.

So you mean to say it will work properly, given that the area coverage is good? And also, what is it with 3G skypephone that people have been talking about? Im sorry, but im not that expert when it comes to such things!!!

So you mean to say it will work properly, given that the area coverage is good? And also, what is it with 3G skypephone that people have been talking about? Im sorry, but im not that expert when it comes to such things!!!
[/quote]

For Unlimited Gprs/Edge package yes you should have Postpaid subscription, but for prepaid you can also subscribe to monthly internet package. I am using Fring on Telenor’s monthly internet package and voice calls MashaAllah is very clear. Regarding skype on UK’s 3 network, i don’t think it would work here in pakistan. Ask your family members down here in Pakistan to install Fring on their mobile and you should do the same over there in UK. I am 24/7 in touch with my brother and daughter in London via Fring.

@ Rizla, With 2gb internet package, yes you can run nimbuzz/fb and check mails etc, but one thing is for sure, Nimbuzz drains mobile battery like hell, I had to use fring (www.fring.com) instead of Nimbuzz, just to save the life of my mobile's battery.

Is that with voice chat or just with Fring signed in for 15 minutes? Sorry I realise I am referring to a very old post, wonder if anyone knows.

I'm going for a post paid Telenor connection in a few days with unlimited (2gb) internet, and was wondering if 2gb would be enough for:

1. Nimbuzz signed in 24/7

2. Facebook/some other apps updating hourly or so

3. Some light browsing everyday.

Hope someone who already has a Telenor unlimited internet package can comment on this.

The thing is in Pakistan you would need a post paid connection for an unlimited connection, and very good quality EDGE coverage in your area for voice calls on Skype to work smoothly. You would have to test out different connections in your area, Telenor and Warid are your best bets.

[/quote]