E5200 Le Monsta!

I needed a HTPC so bought the just released Intel E5200 processor. I'm amazed at the results. It's a 2.53 ghz processor yet it effortlessly goes to 3.9 Ghz on normal air cooling !! 3.9 !!!

Dual cores running at 3.9 GHZ for Rs. 7200 is just fantastic value !! Vista boots and works like XP ! I haven't done any benchmarking yet but it certainly seems faster than my Q6600.

If any of you out there are thinking about upgrading to a better processor this is it! Get them while the current stock of E5200 lasts. A lot depends on which lot it's from. Initially the better cores are released to make a impression in the market.

which Motherboard you used to overclock it?

Msi P35 Platinum

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Msi P35 Platinum
[/quote]

how much does MSI p35 platinium costs???secondly wht is the cache and fsb of e5200?

It has a 2mb cache dont remember the fsb though

It has a 2MB cache and a fsb of 800 Mhz, but the interesting thing is it has a multiplier of 12.5 so your stock fsb is really low around 200 or so.

I did some benchmarking. In games on stock speeds the Q6600 is on average 5 % faster than the E5200. If however you overclock both to speeds which are easily attainable by both, the Quad goes to 3.0 Ghz easy and the E5200 goes to 3.8. Then the performance difference becomes zero. They perform exactly the same IN GAMES.

I think that's (quote Kung Fu Panda) Pure awesomeness considering it's less then half the price of the Quad. :)

Edit:> As far as costs are concerned, I think the Msi P35 Platinum would cost around Rs. 12,000 but you don't need that specific board to get good overclocks. This board is actually a very average over clocker. If I could get the E5200 to work in my Gigabyte P35 then I'm sure I would have been able to hit 4.0 Ghz easy with even better temps and stability. I just bought the Msi board because it has Crossfire and the Gigabyte model I have doesn't.

Infact the E5200 is easy to over clock on budget motherboards as well because all you need to do is to change the fsb. Even a 965 chipset board of around Rs. 4000 would oc this to 3.6 easy.

Pretty good for budget gaming if you ask me. E5200, Asus 965, 2 GB Corsair, 250 GB HD & 3650. 7200+4000+3200+3500+5500 = 23,400.

It has a 2MB cache and a fsb of 800 Mhz, but the interesting thing is it has a multiplier of 12.5 so your stock fsb is really low around 200 or so.

I did some benchmarking. In games on stock speeds the Q6600 is on average 5 % faster than the E5200. If however you overclock both to speeds which are easily attainable by both, the Quad goes to 3.0 Ghz easy and the E5200 goes to 3.8. Then the performance difference becomes zero. They perform exactly the same IN GAMES.

I think that’s (quote Kung Fu Panda) Pure awesomeness considering it’s less then half the price of the Quad. :)

Edit:> As far as costs are concerned, I think the Msi P35 Platinum would cost around Rs. 12,000 but you don’t need that specific board to get good overclocks. This board is actually a very average over clocker. If I could get the E5200 to work in my Gigabyte P35 then I’m sure I would have been able to hit 4.0 Ghz easy with even better temps and stability. I just bought the Msi board because it has Crossfire and the Gigabyte model I have doesn’t.

Infact the E5200 is easy to over clock on budget motherboards as well because all you need to do is to change the fsb. Even a 965 chipset board of around Rs. 4000 would oc this to 3.6 easy.

Pretty good for budget gaming if you ask me. E5200, Asus 965, 2 GB Corsair, 250 GB HD & 3650. 7200+4000+3200+3500+5500 = 23,400.

[/quote]

@ABBAS

no man board matters a lot for overclocking…i m usin MSIP4M900M2-L board wid a core 2 duo e4500 2.2ghz…n maximum overclocking speed i get is just 2.42ghz as i can only change the fsb from 200mhz to “220mhz” wid a frequency multiplyer of 11…if i try to go above 220mhz pc doesnt boot at all…reviews abt e4500 claiming that it can overclocked to 2.8ghz on stock fan…so is this the board letting me down???

Of course it matters a lot. The board that you're using is a budget micro atx board. That's mainly for office use and is outdated. This board was basically meant for use with DDR1 and Pentium/Celeron range of systems. While it does support Core2Duo and DDR2, it was built keeping old technology in mind. The other problem is that it has a VIA chipset, VIA chipsets are crap. The only decent chipsets for overclocking are Intel (not motherboards, CHIPSETS), even Nvida's 680, 780 are not that great. Infact knowing they can't compete with Intel's new X58 chipset they have decided to close their chipset division, so 780 is the last generation of Nvida chipsets.

To achieve any kind of reasonable over clocks you must also have a decent brand of memory supporting a mild overclock. If you have normal stock DDR2 chips it won't get you anywhere and your system will crash instantly.

If you want to OC on a budget board make sure it's new. For now I think 2.42Ghz is good for your board.

That's why above in the budget gaming build I wrote "Asus 965 (chipset) and Corsair ram"

Hey abbas, im gonna derail your topic slightly since you are talking about overclocking.

I have a C2Q 9300 with Stock Air Cooler and Corsair DDR3 DHX 2gb with an Asus P5QC mobo. I did try some overclocking with my limited knowledge and i got it to 2.6 (Up from 2.5ghz) but my cousin recommended i stop and return it as i would probably burn out my ram or something.

Both Processor and RAM run natively at 1333 FSB with the Processor having an FSB of 333 (x7.5)

Hey Scrinner, you have a decent system and your motherboard and processor choice was excellent. Ideal for overclocking. Your ram is great too although you didn't need to spend twice the amount on it compared to DDR2.

If you're looking for a mild overclock like up from 2.5 to let's say 2.8 you won't need anything else except a couple of changes in bios settings. If however you want to go above that to around 3.4 Ghz which with your board and processor is very possible then you will need to buy a proper cooler. The Intel stock cooler only works well till 2.8 Ghz. People push it higher to 3.0 Ghz abroad as well but then their ambient temperatures are cooler than ours..

Download Coretemp, it's the software I'm running in the lower right side of the picture I posted.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

It's a small program which allows you to monitor the temperature of your cpu cores. First see what temps you have running at @ 2.5 Ghz. Then go into your bios and change your FSB from 333 to 374. No need to touch Ram settings or Vcore or anything else. Save and exit, your computer will switch off and then back on and boot normally. Once windows boots up run Coretemp again. It will show that you'll be running at 2.8 ghz and your core temperatures will be on average 4 C higher then at 2.5 Ghz. Your processor will run happy 24/7 with that.

When you get comfortable with bios settings and your pc gets a little older & you get better cooling, then get back to me and I'll teach you how to clock it to 3.4. :)

Btw why did you buy a Quad ? Do you use your PC to encode movies or number crunching or just games ??

Here's my Q6600 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz on a semi decent air cooler (not the best, but much better than Intel's stock). These are the kind of temps you should be expecting at 3.2 Ghz. Intel's stock cooler should be about 8 C higher per core. IMO 80 C is fine on 100 % load after let's say an hour of testing. Because in real world application no normal software is going to be able to use all four cores of your processor at a 100 % for an hour. Prime95 is an test tool, I believe it's called torture testing. Here's a screen shot.

Ive heard about Prime95 and did download it prior to my first overclock. And before I get into the questions, The reason i bought my Quad is mainly due to gaming and to not go backwards. Recently my computer was fried by one of my siblings. It was an AMD Athlon x64 4200 which was doing enough for me but since the computer was running at 110v at the time, my brother mistakenly plugged it into a 220v socket.. yeah madness ensued.

The PSU and GPU fried and i think the motherboard is damaged.

Now onto the questions.

1) I have manually set the ram timings ti 9-9-9-24 (not sure about that last one). Wont i have to loosen those first?

2) Should i keep my ram FSB on Auto or Manual? On auto it'll automatically go up with the CPU's fsb to keep a ratio of 1:1. Then again i could always adjust the ratio but i wouldn't like to do that.

And yes, this computer isnt that old either. Only been running it for a week-two now.

And lastly, im waiting for an 8800GT and a new PSU to come in. Whats your take on the

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2932371&Sku=T925-1177

?

Its only 500 W's and though every power calculator i know says I need 550w's, ive been told this PSU will do the system justice despite working at 500w.

Sorry for drilling you for info :)

@ABBAS

no man board matters a lot for overclocking…i m usin MSIP4M900M2-L board wid a core 2 duo e4500 2.2ghz…n maximum overclocking speed i get is just 2.42ghz as i can only change the fsb from 200mhz to “220mhz” wid a frequency multiplyer of 11…if i try to go above 220mhz pc doesnt boot at all…reviews abt e4500 claiming that it can overclocked to 2.8ghz on stock fan…so is this the board letting me down???

[/quote]

I’ve got e4500 and asus p5kpl-vm and on stock cooling my processor is overclocked to 2.8 with stock voltages and perfectly stable, full load temps are under 58c.

so knowledgeable u people r!!!

abbas...u have radeon 3650??? how is the gaming experience.? plz tell..nice machine you have there..

and which company is your card from (possibly HIS or Force3d) thanx.....

oh one more thing...how much power supply you are using in all this?

Abbas you already have a quad core so why did you bought this.

Abbas you already have a quad core so why did you bought this.
[/quote]

Geekism :P computer enthusiast

I’ve got e4500 and asus p5kpl-vm and on stock cooling my processor is overclocked to 2.8 with stock voltages and perfectly stable, full load temps are under 58c.

[/quote]

umm a board problem then for me…i think it is not oc friendly…well might it b a case wid psu as i m usin bulk chinese psu of 400watt named OIGIX??

@Saad Ibrahim Lolz.. you're right though :P;)

@Poton12 I've answered your question in detail below. I think your PSU is fine, it's your board. Enjoy the 2.4 Ghz ! :)

@Scrinner. Quad's are generally better at encoding and number crunching rather than games. There are very few games out there today that utilize all four cores, Supreme Commander for example, but 95 % of the games at most use two. You'll be surprised to know that a Rs. 12,000 Core 2 Duo can outperform a Rs. 24,000 Core 2 Quad in games by as much as 8 -10 %. The reason is those cores are running more efficient and at higher clocks. I recently put my Q6600 to the test vs the E5200 which is less than half the price of the quad and the results were almost the same. I'll post them tomorrow.

To answer in the order you asked.

As far as the memory timings are concerned I would not worry too much about them right now, you can get back to them later, they only make 1-2 % performance difference at the most and won't make a difference going from 2.5 to 2.8 ghz. If you have have trouble booting however (unlikely) then set them to Auto otherwise they are fine. Another interesting fact is that DDR2 running at 4-4-4-12 @ 1000 mhz will outperform DDR3 running at 9-9-9-24 @ 1333 mhz.

About the GPU and PSU you linked. If you've already ordered them then they are good enough. If you're haven't yet or are planning to order then I would suggest you replace the 8800 GT with the 4850 if you're price conscious and if you're not then get the 4870. ATI wins this round hands down with the 4800 series. Will post some benches with of them too. As far as power supply I would take the Corsair HW520W modular (Rs. 8,000) or even Cooler Master 460/500 W (Rs. 3500) over the one you picked.

Since everyone's asking about Power supplies, I'll talk about them a little in detail.

The PSU that you're looking at is fine although you don't really need a 500 W. Don't worry about the sites that calculate wattage requirements, they're mostly funded by PSU manufacturers to make people want to buy higher wattage psu's. A system like yours with one graphic card and two hard drives would need at the max 400 W that too if you run everything at the same time, but in the real world who burns two dvd's together while at the same time playing a GPU intensive game as well running prime95 in the background ?? :) Most people don't need anything more than 350 W to max 400 W even with running a higher end graphic card.

Stock power supplies that usually come with your case are generally crap, best to have them changed when you're buying your case. They get adjusted for about 1/3 the price of the casing. If you're running a high end graphic card or plan to do some heavy over clocking then you *need* a branded psu not bulk or Chinese ones. It's not really about the Wattage it's about the quality of power coming in, clean power/no spikes etc. I was running at 7800 GT, a Q6600 over clocked to 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB ram, two Dvd writers, one 150gb raptor, one other HD on a bulk(Chinese/desi) 400 W Psu. It was running fine ! I was unable to push over 3.2 Ghz could not get more than 5 hours Prime95 stable, so I thought maybe it's my power supply. I replaced it with a Corsair HW 620W. I really like the new psu but it turns out I really don't need all that power, the old 400 bulk was enough, it was Q6600 that could not push over 3.2 with air cooling.

There are more factors like peak efficiency and all but I won't complicate this more. The point is buy over 450 W ONLY if you plan to SLI / Crossfire or have more 3+ hard drives and 3 + dvd drives and/or plan to over clock your system on liquid cooling or something :)

^ Finally, someone reiterates the real truth about genuine PSUs. You do not need over 400watts in most cases and I'm doing fine with 460watt cooler master. :D