E3: Sony cuts PS3 price by $100

E3: Sony cuts PS3 price by $100

At the E3 Media & Business Summit, Sony announced it was introducing a new PlayStation 3 model with a built-in 80 GBhard drive for $399, replacing Sony’s current 80GB PS3 which retails at $499. The new 80GB model essentially doubles the storage capacity of Sony’s currently offered 40GB PS3 model, which is also priced at $399. The new 80GB PS3 will start shipping in September, according to a statement on Sony’s Web site. The new 80GB PS3 will also include integrated Wi-Fi and a built-in Blu-ray player, but like the old 40 GB model it will not be backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 games. The 40GB version of the PS3 will eventually be phased out, Reuters reported.

Sony’s announcement comes after Microsoft cut the price of the 20GB Xbox 360 to $299 from $349. Microsoft also plans to introduce a new 60GB Xbox 360 model that retails for $349, to eventually replace the 20GB model, which will be gradually phased out. This price cut is not Sony’s only salvo against Microsoft. Sony announced earlier at E3 that it would be introducing a new video distribution service, as competition for Microsoft Xbox Live, according to Reuters. In addition to watching videos on their PS3s, users will also be able to transfer downloads to their PSPs for portable viewing. With these new announcements from both Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo’s next move is open to question.

Source: CRN

I stopped thinking about the price cut 1 year ago..... I knew 399$ will still be too much not to mention a HDTV.... :D

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I stopped thinking about the price cut 1 year ago… I knew 399$ will still be too much not to mention a HDTV… :D
[/quote]

yeah that hdtv thing kills me too, but there are certain tv tuner card both internal and external available might help. the other thing is you have to buy actual blu ray format disk to work it on ps3, there isn’t any modification on ps3 yet.

no problem for hdtv... viewsonic is my friend... and yeah!!! sony ps3 for life... its a shmae they will not be backward compatible but who cares.. first of all no one here has original ps2 games(not at least me) and secondly i wont sell my ps2 then i can enjoy ps2 games.!

HDTV is not necessary, so thats not an issue.. If you have one then thats a bonus its not a requirement. The graphics on HDTV are just mind blowing. Even a cheap LCD monitor with HDMI works great.

And yeah, the modification thing will bother alot of people specially in Pakistan but those who play online games like me wont ever modify my console because then you get banned from playing games online (Like on Xbox).

If i want to play pirated games, i'd buy an Xbox360.. I wont take risks with my PS3 with modifying it and all..

Even a cheap LCD monitor with HDMI works great…
[/quote]

what do you man by this! :mad:. :confused:

yeah i know that you can play it on normal tv’s to but cheap lcd? wtf do you mean! & oh please specify your “cheap” lcd prices!

MS ans Sony are still following Apple's pricing-mentality when it comes to HDDs.

yes.. hdd are some really cheap #$%#.! they just upgraded the hdd and damn remove the ps2 backwardness! wth!

what do you man by this! :mad:. :confused:

yeah i know that you can play it on normal tv’s to but cheap lcd? wtf do you mean! & oh please specify your “cheap” lcd prices!

[/quote]

Cheap as compared to HDTV’s not cheap in general. A 15 thousand LCD Monitor can run PS3 in great quality not the same quality as HDTV but atleast you dont have to spent like 40-50 thousand for the HDTV.

nothing can compete with HDTV quality wise. ya'all can use LCD monitors becuase they only look like HDTV but they are not half as good as HDTV.

once you people try full HDTV gaming then you wont look at your standard TV sets.

nothing can compete with HDTV quality wise. ya’all can use LCD monitors becuase they only look like HDTV but they are not half as good as HDTV.

once you people try full HDTV gaming then you wont look at your standard TV sets.

[/quote]

Yeah but most people cannot afford HDTV’s… Its out of range for most people so an LCD Monitor can do a great job plus its not very expensive too.

Yeah but most people cannot afford HDTV’s… Its out of range for most people so an LCD Monitor can do a great job plus its not very expensive too.

[/quote]

yeah you are right. but people still need to buy latest models of LCDs to get better quality than a standard TV.

Why can't you get a CRT monitor? those are dirt cheap aren't they? plus they still give better/equal performance than LCDs right?

i mean look at this monitor:

http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/market-place/13236-gateway-vx1120.html

for only 4k

The issue is that you can't play Pirated games on PS3. That matters a lot! :s

The issue is that you can’t play Pirated games on PS3. That matters a lot! :s
[/quote]

yeah that matters a lot for average pakistani but not for burgers!

and alamode is a burger! :P

the problem with the ps3 is that the drm for the games has been cracked but the actual medium(blu ray) is expensive

[/quote]

Well said Bro! :)

lol @ burger :P

[/quote]

Im not burger yaar… I have to save like 1-1.5 months pocketmoney to buy 1 PS3 game :P

I usually dont play alot of games on my PS3, i only have like 6-7 games… I had 3-4 before too which i exchanged for other games so i have played like around 10 games on my PS3 and i bought it last year in June.

How am i burger :D

Plus on the LCD… Check out Benq FP94VW… It has HDMI and it costs around 15,000 I think its 17 inch… There’s also a 19 inch model. These models are pretty good for gaming and PS3 works like a charm on them.

Im not burger yaar… I have to save like 1-1.5 months pocketmoney to buy 1 PS3 game :P

I usually dont play alot of games on my PS3, i only have like 6-7 games… I had 3-4 before too which i exchanged for other games so i have played like around 10 games on my PS3 and i bought it last year in June.

How am i burger :D

Plus on the LCD… Check out Benq FP94VW… It has HDMI and it costs around 15,000 I think its 17 inch… There’s also a 19 inch model. These models are pretty good for gaming and PS3 works like a charm on them.

[/quote]

was just kidding!