DWN: Wireless Digital TV Cable Co. In Pakistan

Few days ago i watched an ad on TV for something called a Digital Wireless Network. They claim to be the only digital TV providers in Pakistan. Has anybody heard of them? Their pricing as per website is Rs. 360 for 65 digital channels. There is no information as to the device setup cost. I am really tired of our cablewala and want to move to digital television. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Their website is:

http://www.dwn.com.pk/index.html

In my opinion this offer seems to good to be true and seems like a scam or something.

I have just checked the WHOIS of the domain and found the following result:

Domain Name:

dwn.com.pk

Registrant Name:

Southern Networks Limited

Contact Person:

Amir Jatoi

Address:

5-Y, Block 6, PECHS

Karachi Pakistan

Looks like its SunTV and they branding it under a different name.:D

[quote=“rnathbatra, post:2, topic:14597”]

I have just checked the WHOIS of the domain and found the following result:

Domain Name:

dwn.com.pk

Registrant Name:

Southern Networks Limited

Contact Person:

Amir Jatoi

Address:

5-Y, Block 6, PECHS

Karachi Pakistan

Looks like its SunTV and they branding it under a different name.:D

[/quote]

^^^You are absolutely right they were Sun TV before they pick this bizarre name :mellow:

They recently upgraded their system to MPEG-4 technology with the help of Chinese to provide more channels in less bandwidth (from 50 to 65 after waiting for 7 years :angry: ). Total setup will cost you 12000 and if you exchange with older receiver, it’ll be for 6000. Channels list is available on site according to your city.

Thanks for the info man. Hmmm. 12,000. Thats a bit on the higher side. But if their service is reliable then its definitely worth it. Since their channel line up is pretty decent.

I got a call from them. The set up cost is 9,500 with one month free subscription. Pretty decent in my opinion. Now just have to buy that LCD TV first. :D

I saw the ad today and was intrigued. There seems to be a new digital

media provider in town (Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad). At least, this is the

first I have seen, or heard of them.

Name ?, DWN. Digital Wireless Network.

dwn_logo_black_bg.png

They claim to offer a bouquet of 65 digital video AND audio channels.

The lineup includes the usual suspects. Some basic English movie

channels, news channels and for our indian fans, STARplus and Sony.

What sets them apart is that they are wire-less. There doesn't seem to

be any set-top-box or installation charges. Just Rs. 360/month.

Anybody heard anything about them ?. Good, bad, or ugly ?. Do share.

Sheikh 'NawaN Aaya Aey Soniya' Chilli

See this

which receiver is required? DVB-C or DVB-T?

Deleted

[quote=“Imran, post:8, topic:14597”]

which receiver is required? DVB-C or DVB-T?

[/quote]

DVB-T surely. Its a Terrestrial network not a Cable network.

FYI DVB-T can’t be used for cable and vice-versa.

OK, so this is just SUN TV with a different name.

Sheikh 'Ignore' Chilli

^

Old wine in new bottle

Why a duplicate post when i have already started one around a week ago:

www.wiredpakistan.com/topic/14588-digital-wireless-network/page__pid__201469#entry201469

[quote=“sheikh_chilli, post:6, topic:14597”]

I saw the ad today and was intrigued. There seems to be a new digital

media provider in town (Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad). At least, this is the

first I have seen, or heard of them.

Name ?, DWN. Digital Wireless Network.

dwn_logo_black_bg.png

They claim to offer a bouquet of 65 digital video AND audio channels.

The lineup includes the usual suspects. Some basic English movie

channels, news channels and for our indian fans, STARplus and Sony.

What sets them apart is that they are wire-less. There doesn’t seem to

be any set-top-box or installation charges. Just Rs. 360/month.

Anybody heard anything about them ?. Good, bad, or ugly ?. Do share.

Sheikh ‘NawaN Aaya Aey Soniya’ Chilli

[/quote]

Sheikh, long time no see. :)

From what I’ve read in other threads on this forum, local cable operators such as MPC, solo and KCS have started offering digital channels via STBs/DVBs for as little as 400-500 per month and the box costs a one-time free of Rs. 5,000. I think this is a much better and cheaper alternative especially since these cable operators are apparently offering a much better channel lineup whereas DWN only offers the same lame, mostly local channels that you can get for Rs. 250 from your local cable op.

Thoughts?

Update. They have revised their rates to Rs. 12,500 for the set up cost with 1 year free service. I just called them up. Planning to get a demo done today.

Transition made by suntv this year has already been discussed sooo many times so its nothing new folks. After 7 years they could only manage to add 15 channels to their lineup is a shame. Because of this very reason they lost half of their customers in twin cities here and it became difficult for them to compete. So they knew that by giving channels won't increase their customers alone that's why they came up with this formula of new name, new identity blah blah which they did when they first took over the beloved shaheen tv back in 2004-05. I am afraid that with the kind of lineup and initial setup cost and among the competition from local cable operators going digital its a bleak future for them.

On the flipside, suntv now dwn is the only and proper digital service provider right now in the country my friends.Their channels quality is breathtaking superb, their quality is matchless as I have also worldcall digital cable but I would give suntv now dwn the lead in this regard. Plus their are no interruptions, i mean for last seven years I haven't seen their power breakage for once even which is a plus definitely. So their tagline of caalling themselves the only digital tv provider in the country is somewhat true but they didn't live up to their reputation and they still gonna struggle.

[quote=", post:16, topic:14597"]

Transition made by suntv this year has already been discussed sooo many times so its nothing new folks. After 7 years they could only manage to add 15 channels to their lineup is a shame. Because of this very reason they lost half of their customers in twin cities here and it became difficult for them to compete. So they knew that by giving channels won’t increase their customers alone that’s why they came up with this formula of new name, new identity blah blah which they did when they first took over the beloved shaheen tv back in 2004-05. I am afraid that with the kind of lineup and initial setup cost and among the competition from local cable operators going digital its a bleak future for them.

[/quote]

Ah! This reminds me of those years, waiting till 7 every day and than sticking to the TV screen and than 1 day the service just vanished without a single warning!

[quote=“rnathbatra, post:15, topic:14597”]

Update. They have revised their rates to Rs. 12,500 for the set up cost with 1 year free service. I just called them up. Planning to get a demo done today.

[/quote]

Seriously, they need to add a few channels from OSN like OSN comedy, movies, etc. If they do, I’ll consider getting this service. But for now, local cable operators like KCS, MPC, etc are offering a lot more in terms of channels.

@Santa Cruz.... Hey as you are using SunTV can you tell me if their Digital Box has a Component Out video port ? (component is where you connect three cables for video and two extra for audio)

[quote=", post:16, topic:14597"]

Transition made by suntv this year has already been discussed sooo many times so its nothing new folks. After 7 years they could only manage to add 15 channels to their lineup is a shame. Because of this very reason they lost half of their customers in twin cities here and it became difficult for them to compete. So they knew that by giving channels won’t increase their customers alone that’s why they came up with this formula of new name, new identity blah blah which they did when they first took over the beloved shaheen tv back in 2004-05. I am afraid that with the kind of lineup and initial setup cost and among the competition from local cable operators going digital its a bleak future for them.

On the flipside, suntv now dwn is the only and proper digital service provider right now in the country my friends.Their channels quality is breathtaking superb, their quality is matchless as I have also worldcall digital cable but I would give suntv now dwn the lead in this regard. Plus their are no interruptions, i mean for last seven years I haven’t seen their power breakage for once even which is a plus definitely. So their tagline of caalling themselves the only digital tv provider in the country is somewhat true but they didn’t live up to their reputation and they still gonna struggle.

[/quote]

They don’t even have Skynews which even local cable walas offer. Or mbc action for that matter. :(