DVD disk not being read by DVD ROM

hy. i bought a dvd of cartoons for my younger sister. its a DVD-9 print and its colour is blue. (i have heard that yellow colored dvds are original ones) so it seems to be pirated. the problem i m getting is that my asus DVD rom is unable to read it. when i insert dvd into it, it never even shows that a dvd is inserted. but when i checked the same dvd on another system,it worked fine and showed all data. someone suggested me to re-install windows but i wish i could solve this problem without reinstalling windows. Remember my PC specs are 797MHz Processor, 128RAM, 40 GB hard drive. thanks in advance if any of you; the intelligent WP members, could resolve the issue. :)

First i have a question for you Did you have the same problem whe trying to play any other DVD? And it doesn't have to do anything with your windows installed. There might be some problem with you DVD-Rom.

Ans Secondly

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
(i have heard that yellow colored dvds are original ones) so it seems to be pirated.
[/quote]

Thats just a WADDOO!(in punjabi) which some one told you to make false impression of computer knowledge. There are NO ORIGINAL CDs or DVDs. Its just the content which is pirated.

I've seen many red colored DVDs from Cherry, so color is not important.

LOLZZZZZ.... thanks for increasing my knowledge. i didnt know it before. from now on i will never say "original dvds or cds" etc :) second thing is that my DVD ROM runs every other dvd or cd quite nicely and never had such problem before. what should i do then, if nothing happens by reinstalling windows???

no one there to solve my problem??? :( it should be as simple as 1 2 3 for WP experts.....

no one there to solve my problem??? :( it should be as simple as 1 2 3 for WP experts…
[/quote]

try updating your dvd drives firmware

I simply don't know what to tell you next. Only one Dvd can not run and all others can, and that only disk works on other systems?!?!?!?!? i don't know!

I guess it's your DVD Drive. May be compatibility issue..

You can check your drive with the utility software Nero InfoTool. download from the following link.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Nero-InfoTool-Download-5983.html

after running the software a diagnostic verification will be performed for a few seconds and you will get an interface with a bunch of information. Just switch to the tab titled "Drive".

There should be DVD section. Now under the column "Read" look for the TICK MARKS in front of "-R DL" and "+R DL" in DVD section.

- If you see the Ticks in front of them then your drive should read DVD9(which you are trying to play) and in that case the lens of the drive might need to be cleaned it's not playable.

- If you see the Crosses then your drive won't read the disk(DVD9) you are willing to play...

thanks KA.... i just used info Tool and found the following result. it clearly shows that my dvd rom is not infact a dvd rom :( in this image, what those 3 ticks are meant for, given in DVD column??

dvd2.jpg - 0.22MB

thanks KA… i just used info Tool and found the following result. it clearly shows that my dvd rom is not infact a dvd rom :( in this image, what those 3 ticks are meant for, given in DVD column??

dvd2.jpg - 0.22MB

[/quote]

get the latest firmware T903EXP from here

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=SM-352F#

thanks KA… i just used info Tool and found the following result. it clearly shows that my dvd rom is not infact a dvd rom :( in this image

dvd2.jpg - 0.22MB

[/quote]

you just told in your opening post that it was Asus DVD Drive and the image shows it being a Samsung one :confused:

any ways the detail in the image just shows that your DVD Drive is not currently able to read DVD9

you can give a try upgrading the firmware as listed in above.

what those 3 ticks are meant for, given in DVD column??
[/quote]

DVD-R and DVD+R are the recordable-only-once disks which we usually find now in the markets.

DVD-RW and DVD+RW are the disks which can be recorded/erased/modified a lot of times (depending on the quality of the disk)

(-) and (+) are technically different specs wise and in some way in which the disks are recorded. unfortunately your drive supports only DVD+R and DVD+RW.

DVD-ROM is actually a disk which you would have seen a couple of years before. These disks were usually called the the master CD/DVD or the original CD/DVD.

They are actually punched/pressed/prerecorded during the manufacturing.

These are the types of DVDs which can be supported by your DVD Drive as being in current state. May be upgrading the firmware would help in reading other DVD disks including DVD9. But I am not sure about that.

@archim3des thanks bro,im now going for it... lets see

@ KA im really sorry for mis-information about my DVD rom. I should have checked it before. thanks a lot for such nice info. "may be" upgrading would help" making me confuse. will my rom stop working if i upgrade to an incorrect firmware??

get the latest firmware T903EXP from here

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=SM-352F#

[/quote]

yar i downloaded that firmware but it gives an error that “this firmware is not compatible with your drive, contact your system manufacturer…”

i checked in my system. it shows that my drive has firmware T902. so it should upgrade to T903 but it is not…

You told that this DVD is running on other systems. So get an image of this DVD on some other system through Imagburn or Nero and copy it to your system via usb. Now you may open this image with a software Daemon Tools Lite.

Its the simple and easiest way as thi is the only disk which is not working in ur DVD ROM.

imran..... thanks a lot. i already have this idea in my mind. but i wish my DVD rom could run every dvd that i bring... ;) anyhow im going for it now(what imran told me) so leave it here.....