Dumb Pakistani Bureaucracy.... (Must Read)

I don't know either to laugh or cry on the incident which happened to me today.....

Month or so a go my older brother with his family left for one month vacation to New York to visit our cousin, his plan was that he and his wife and his children gonna celebrate Eid in New York and then right after Eid he and his family gonna fly back to Pakistan so he did just that,

Since he planned to celebrate Eid in NY so he took with him Khaki linen Kurta Shalwar for Eid prayer from shop called "Kurta Corner" (its kind famous for ready made kurta shalwar in karachi) anyway, while coming back he forgot that in NY not a biggie, but my cousin was like just to be efficient from his part that my older brother's vacation went awesome from every angle he priority DHL the Kurta Shalwar to Karachi, today around 1 pm DHL guy came to our house with the package which was obviously opened by the Pakistani customs and also gave us the custom duty receipt of 1500 rupees my brother was at work so I received the package when I found out the content of package which was Pakistani kurta shalwar made in Pakistan with visible Kurta Corner label and import duty of 1500 rupees I was like WHAT THE F-UCK MAN, me being me i refused to pay a single penny but the DHL courier guy was like I'll lose my job if i gave you the package without duty, we had little verbal exchange he had my brothers mobile courier dude called him then my brother intervened and i payed the man then.

i mean what the hell 1500 rupees import duty on kurta shalwar which is made in Pakistan with visible company label......

I don't know about custom laws but even if that was just a kurta shalwar made in NY why so much duty on it? This is stupid that we have retarded laws. So that means no one can send me a simple clothes gift from abroad without paying this stupid import duty!?

I once got a DVD from abroad (it was a backup of my pictures on a photo sharing website). Duty imposed: ~450 rupees.

Some days back, I got a package from Google (with some gifts in them) (none were electronic). It said "not for commercial resale" (which is true). Duty charged on those items (that were clearly in excess of around ~$30 : Rs. 40.

Two years back, I got digital photo frame (gifted). Duty charged: nil. nada. zilch. zut!

What does this say? It says our laws are as screwed up as the Twilight movies!

I have been using DHL for quite a long time, what DHL does is that they get the bulk clearance for all of their items / packets which arrive from different flights. For example, if total number of packets are 300 then they pay lump sum as duty then they divide it over all packets in certain ratio, of course.

It is quite possible that you paid duty for someone else. If you ask DHL to produce the National Bank receipt against which duty was paid on account of you, they will never be able to do so.

That is how it happens. Sometimes DHL charges me duties which are far less than expected and sometimes they impose heavy charges on very low value items.

Unfortunately We can not do anything, where should we complain ?

[quote=", post:4, topic:16000"]

Unfortunately We can not do anything, where should we complain ?
[/quote]

exactly there is no one there to listen.

[quote=“TechMan, post:2, topic:16000”]

I don’t know about custom laws but even if that was just a kurta shalwar made in NY why so much duty on it? This is stupid that we have retarded laws. So that means no one can send me a simple clothes gift from abroad without paying this stupid import duty!?

[/quote]

i did not start this thread if clothing item was made in NY and custom duty was levied on it. if you read my post again is that my bother took kurta shalwar from Pakistan to NY for eid and while coming back to Pakistan he forgot it in NY well thats not a biggie but my cousin in NY DHLed it to Pakistan anyway, now what stupid and frustrating part is that Pakistani custom officials charged custom duty on kurta shalwar which was bought in Pakistan from Pakistani shop made by Pakistanis with Pakistani material and the label of Pakistani company was on the kurta shalwar.

At least you got the package

[quote=“kamran1x1, post:5, topic:16000”]

i did not start this thread if clothing item was made in NY and custom duty was levied on it. if you read my post again is that my bother took kurta shalwar from Pakistan to NY for eid and while coming back to Pakistan he forgot it in NY well thats not a biggie but my cousin in NY DHLed it to Pakistan anyway, now what stupid and frustrating part is that Pakistani custom officials charged custom duty on kurta shalwar which was bought in Pakistan from Pakistani shop made by Pakistanis with Pakistani material and the label of Pakistani company was on the kurta shalwar.

[/quote]

Techman didn’t get your OP wrong, what he meant to say is why so much duty even if we suppose that the kurta was made in US and imported from US.

Its just that your pointing towards a senseless act of customs and techman (probably knowing this kind of shyte happen only in PK) is pointing towards the excessive duty. Perhaps he has ordered something from abroad or is expecting something from abroad, getting worried what will happen to him after knowing what they charged you …

For which, I agree with you both.

On lighter side keep that Kurta Shalwar as USA returned (America palat) and think you paid ticket for the invisible man in suit. :D

[quote=“Faisal, post:7, topic:16000”]

Techman didn’t get your OP wrong, what he meant to say is why so much duty even if we suppose that the kurta was made in US and imported from US.

Its just that your pointing towards a senseless act of customs and techman (probably knowing this kind of shyte happen only in PK) is pointing towards the excessive duty. Perhaps he has ordered something from abroad or is expecting something from abroad, getting worried what will happen to him after knowing what they charged you …

For which, I agree with you both.

[/quote]

Exactly!!!

few months ago here (lalmusa) a rich family has imported limo hummer H3 as a Bus and they've paid very little amount in customs cuz it was a passenger bus not luxury car

Sources:

Local newspaper