Dual Smart TV STBs on same account and modem

I am a subscriber of Smart TV. Currently have configured my modem in a way so that 2 ports (#1 and #2) are hardwired to the tunnel that is required by the Smart TV. Both LAN cables go into separate rooms. All I have to is to take my STB from one room to the other one, and plug the STB there and it works like a charm.

I was thinking that if I get another STB and use the same account settings on that STB box, will it work? I have seen ads of people selling their Smart TV STBs for cheap on OLX. But before I even make that investment, just wanted to see if someone is using it the same way. I have my login name and password, so perhaps would be able to configure the 2nd STB similar to 1st one. The question is, will they work simultenaously or not or even if I have to operate either of the boxes at one time, making sure the 2nd one is powered off.

Any experience / tips in this regard will be appreciated.

They wont operate simultaneously ive tried and the 2nd STB gives authentivation error while 1st STB is connected, however you can use stb#2 if u switch stb#1 off

you need to have two username and passwords in order for it to work...

U can also use smart tv for pc simultaneously if u have the required bandwidth available.

Like i have 1stb and on other tv i ve my laptop comnected.

Thanks everyone for very useful replies. So it appears that I can not have 2 STBs until I start giving out dual rental to PTCL for the Smart TV service.

[quote=“epakistani, post:4, topic:21401”]

U can also use smart tv for pc simultaneously if u have the required bandwidth available.
Like i have 1stb and on other tv i ve my laptop comnected.
[/quote]

Just a question to understand:

• Can we use STB’s account for PC app or do we have to have another account ?

PC app works without any username/pass, u just have to order to activate the service and install the PC app from ptcl website and use it, if u are on fiber optic line it might work free of cost without activating as it works on mine

[quote=“akbarmunir, post:, topic:”]

I am a subscriber of Smart TV. Currently have configured my modem in a way so that 2 ports (#1 and #2) are hardwired to the tunnel that is required by the Smart TV. Both LAN cables go into separate rooms. All I have to is to take my STB from one room to the other one, and plug the STB there and it works like a charm.

I was thinking that if I get another STB and use the same account settings on that STB box, will it work? I have seen ads of people selling their Smart TV STBs for cheap on OLX. But before I even make that investment, just wanted to see if someone is using it the same way. I have my login name and password, so perhaps would be able to configure the 2nd STB similar to 1st one. The question is, will they work simultenaously or not or even if I have to operate either of the boxes at one time, making sure the 2nd one is powered off.

Any experience / tips in this regard will be appreciated.

[/quote]

forget about PTCL smart tv box buy any Quard core or dual core stb box and enjoy android other apps and smart tv on same time

[quote=“Aleena, post:8, topic:21401”]

forget about PTCL smart tv box buy any Quard core or dual core stb box and enjoy android other apps and smart tv on same time

[/quote]

Do you mean PTCL Smart TV on the general purpose Android STB or any regular online streaming TV? I am interested in Smart TV because of the ability to watch 4 days old programs for certain channels, always comes handy.

1. Get some source in ptcl.

2. Get ur sync increased by 2.5mb

3. Volla now watch smart tv on the box provided by ptcl.

4. And for second tv connect it thru a laptop and watch channels thru iptv pc app. Prb solved

Get a second hand laptop y ru investing in a android box just connect wireless mouse c

[quote=“hashim, post:2, topic:21401”]

They wont operate simultaneously ive tried and the 2nd STB gives authentivation error while 1st STB is connected, however you can use stb#2 if u switch stb#1 off

[/quote]

I got a 2nd STB for 1,200 from a local shop. I tried to configure the user name and password that I knew, but it kept on givin me auenthication error. So I called PTCL helpline, they reset the password, but even that did not work. Not only that, my primary box has satrted giving me authentication error too :(. The complaint is with PTCL and hopefully someone from thheir side should visit to fix the primary box.

Do you need a configuration other than plain user name and password on the 2nd STB for it to work? Is PTCL binding my account to the MAC or some other form of identification coming from the STB? There is no issue in VLAN setup on DSL router, as the primary box when connected to 2nd port works fine.

The update is that now at the start of the PTCL box, it gives the PTCL Smart TV logo as well as indication of dialing PPPoE, then it says connecting to some "IP" and then takes me to the login page (green colored) with "Login" title and 2 fields, User Name and Password. I checked with PTCL and they told me that this is the middleware login. I do have the middleware password, but all combinations of that has failed. I have tried using that in the user name and in the password field too.

Let me know if anyone can help me with this. The primary box is working fine now, after the password was reset from the backend. I am using the same password in the secondary box too.

I faced the same issue, when they reset the midleware user password and you connect the stb for the first time with it whether its stb#1 or stb#2, the ptcl server binds the mac adress of that specific stb with ur user/pass so you cant connect any other stb ever after switching off ur primary stb:)

So how did you manage to get the 2nd STB working when 1st one gets switched off? Is there a way to change the MAC address of the 2nd STB to make it the same as 1st one?

I didnt manage to make it work just using one :)

[quote=“hashim, post:2, topic:21401”]

[/quote]

[quote="hashim, post:15, topic:21401"]

I didnt manage to make it work just using one :)

[/quote]

So when you mentioned that "however you can use stb#2 if u switch stb#1 off", did you mean using 2 separate accounts? :(

I am trying to change the MAC address of the 2nd STB. I have been able to login in to the linux root shell of the 2nd STB. Thats the farthest I have gone. Will try a tool available on chinese sites and let you know if it works there.

No you cant use second stb after binding of mac with first stb ,i mistyped that . Differrnt user pass might work though

I have finally managed to made this work. Changed the MAC and S/N of the 2nd STB and set it to the same as that of STB # 1. There is a separate middleware user name and password required, which was written inside the cover of box of STB # 1 by the operator who came to install at that time. Though the same middleware user name and password can also be obtained from PTCL helpline too.

Changing the MAC address and S/N required a bit of effort, using a small piece of code compiled for the STB architecture (ARM). I am still not sure if it would work with different MAC and S/N but I will try and let this forum know. At least it works with 2 STBs having same MAC and S/N, but one has to be switched off.

[quote=“akbarmunir, post:18, topic:21401”]

I have finally managed to made this work. Changed the MAC and S/N of the 2nd STB and set it to the same as that of STB # 1. There is a separate middleware user name and password required, which was written inside the cover of box of STB # 1 by the operator who came to install at that time. Though the same middleware user name and password can also be obtained from PTCL helpline too.

Changing the MAC address and S/N required a bit of effort, using a small piece of code compiled for the STB architecture (ARM). I am still not sure if it would work with different MAC and S/N but I will try and let this forum know. At least it works with 2 STBs having same MAC and S/N, but one has to be switched off.

can u plz describe how to change sn and mac of box

[/quote]

Good work Akbar.

Would love to know how to change SN and MAC

Besides this i am just curious that single STB needs 2Mb to work and thats what we can get for smart tv from PTCL. Would it be possible to use the same bandwidth for 2 STB’s.