DSL vs GPRS speed and which is better?

if u r using ptcl Broadband or warid GPRS plz share ur speed and experience.

i hear DSL has much better speed than GPRS. and GPRS speed is same as dialup speed ... is it true?

IMO Warid GPRS is far better then dialup and DSL is far better then GPRS.

if u have a set which supports edge then go 4 edge as it is more econimical and mobile

both have their own points

if u wana go 4 online gaming and watch online movies then go for dsl if u r into downloads then u can try edge

GPRS Speed is slightly better than Dial-up but I have compared my Warid's GPRS Speed with CyberNet Dialup...The Results were nearly the same

So, EDGE Should be prefered to GPRS

and DSL Speed is far more better than GPRS or EDGE...DSL have different Packages: 256KBPS, 512KBPS, 1MBPS and 2MBPS

Obviously 2MBPS will give the most speed and 256KBPS will give the least speed(But still far better than GPRS/EDGE)

i never play any game, or watch movies but listen songs very rare.

Basically i am webmaster and in web and SEO biz. I manage many sites due to which i need a faster connection plz advice me ptcl dsl 512kbps or warid unlimited gprs which will suite me. (my networking knowledge is poor)

I have gprs enabled handset

WebMaster don't have a work that need too much high speed internet

In my early days when I was a web master I use to manage websites through my dial-up connection

but If you can afford PTCL 512KBPS...then you should go with it

512KB is more then enough..By the way, www.thebeautyonline.com is identified as harmful by Avast and it has a trojan horse so fix it!.

I am in Lahore, and I get around 216 Kbps (27 KBps downloading) on Warid EDGE, which is somewhat comparable to 256K DSL connection with the difference that DSL has much lower latency.

When comparing GPRS with DSL, I don't think this is even worth comparing as obviously even the slowest DSL (256) is faster than fastest GPRS.

And GPRS vs Dialup is somewhat mix bag with different companies. But a good GPRS and a Good dialup are almost the same.

[EDITED]: Just read your last post, get a 512 DSL.

u r getting 27kbps to warid edge and my dialup speed is 36 kbps and i am using Link dot net (WOL) scratch card.

ofcourse dsl is better than GPRS and T1-T3 connections are much better than Dsl

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
512KB is more then enough..By the way, www.thebeautyonline.com is identified as harmful by Avast and it has a trojan horse so fix it!.
[/quote]

huMmm .... pm send to u.

u r getting 27kbps to warid edge and my dialup speed is 36 kbps and i am using Link dot net (WOL) scratch card.
[/quote]

I quoted in Kilobytes per second which is 8x compared to what you wrote for Dialup (Kilobits per second). So if you want to compare in Kilobits, then I am getting 216 Kbps.

I quoted in Kilobytes per second which is 8x compared to what you wrote for Dialup (Kilobits per second). So if you want to compare in Kilobits, then I am getting 216 Kbps.

[/quote]

will u plz describe ur quote bit more.

as i said my networking knowledge is poor. (and little knowledge is always dangerous)

to put it simply, DSL(512k) is about 10 times faster than GPRS. For GPRS you'll need a phone, and during GPRS usage you wont be able to attend or make calls. So you'll need a phone too for GPRS. Its better to go DSL in my opinion.

will u plz describe ur quote bit more.

as i said my networking knowledge is poor. (and little knowledge is always dangerous)

[/quote]

When it comes to stating speeds of Internet connection, the normal convention is to use the data transferred in Bits per Second. A bit is the basic unit of binary data. So Dialup has a maximum speed capacity of 56 KiloBITS per second (Wrote as Kbps with a small “b” to define “BIT”), DSL has 256 Kbps, 512 Kbps and so on.

When it comes to data stored on the computer, the normal convention is to use Bytes which are composed of 8 Bits. So when talking about data being downloaded or uploaded on computer, you can also use KiloBytes per Second (KBps, with a capital “B” to state BYTE), which is basically Kilobits per second (Kbps) MULTIPLIED to 8.

So when I first said I was getting Warid EDGE at 27KBps, it meant my connection speed was 216Kbps as your WOL dialup is at 36Kbps: that is EDGE is 6 times faster than Dialup

I have nokia 6030 (GPRS enabled). i just need warid postpaid sim and gprs service. But before purchasing sim and GPRS i need suggestions.

For GPRS you'll need a phone, and during GPRS usage you wont be able to attend or make calls.
[/quote]

so gprs works same like Dialup.

^almost

thanks to all of u specially asad.

Now my plan is to go for dsl. hope i will learn alot coz u ppl are very helpful.

once again thanks.

Just checked the specifications of Nokia 6030, and it appears that its only GPRS Class 6 (Maximum speed of 36Kbps) so this won't even give you the maximum GPRS speed.

DSL is definitely the best option. Best of luck

if u r using ptcl Broadband or warid GPRS plz share ur speed and experience.

i hear DSL has much better speed than GPRS. and GPRS speed is same as dialup speed … is it true?

[/quote]

Comparing gprs with dsl is like comparing car with an air craft… Gprs is too slow compared to DSL…