DSL splitter

a dsl guy from the local ptcl exchange visited today. i wasnt at home so my dad had to handle it for the moment.

the ptcl guy asked me to buy some sort of 'dabba' known as 'roset' which mite cost (according to him) around Rs. 20 or so. He said this 'dabba' will connect to the main line and then one 'extension' goes to the phone and the other 'extension' goes to the dsl modem that he brought along (i dont know which brand it was. any recommendations on what to ask for?).

im guessing he was asking for a splitter (dsl filter). Is that it?

yes u r correct

HOLY #$%#!!!!!!!

MBL ppl charged me Rs. 180 for de splitter :@

PTCL makes you buy the splitter yourself? Shouldn't that be included in the installation?

Splitter comes free with modem.I have ptcl dsl and i did not pay for splitter.

dsl splitter coemes along with modem, i have ptcl dsl and ptcl staff provided me free.

well then ill tell my dad to sucker punch thez guys when he visits the exchange tomorrow...

btw..

which modem should i ask for?

zyxel/shiro/huawei/zte

(i've heard shiro has syncing problems so im not +ive abt em. im inclined towards zyxel for now)

1) which of these supports windows vista?

2) which one will give better service?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

btw…

which modem should i ask for?

zyxel/shiro/huawei/zte

(i’ve heard shiro has syncing problems so im not +ive abt em. im inclined towards zyxel for now)

1) which of these supports windows vista?

2) which one will give better service?

[/quote]

1) irrelevant, a router has no connection with an operating system.

2) Depends, i have shiro and not a single unsynching in 4 months (i live about 4kms from the exchange).

orite then. which modem is aesthetically better?

:P

hey... there is a difference between a spiliter and a filter.... make sure that you get a filter cuz it is far better...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

hey… there is a difference between a spiliter and a filter… make sure that you get a filter cuz it is far better…
[/quote]

difference??? what is it?

yaar uff i would have to explain now?? lambee kahanee hay :D ... to make it simple.... splitter is just a dabbi thing.... on the main line you attach a dabbi right?? from that dabbi you take a wire and plug it into the splitter(also a dabbi looking thing).... from the splitter you have two empty outputs... from one output you take attach a wire and plug it into the phone.. and then you take another wire and plug in the splitter from where you take it into your modem...

in a flitter there are empty spaces from phone and modem wires just like a splitter... but there is no empty place for a wire which will come from main line dabbi... it has an already installed wire which cannot be removed and plugs into the main wire dabbi... i can post picture too but am too slow to do it... hopefully someone with better writting skills would show you what it is :P

well here you go

splitter:-

http://www.cable-trader.co.uk/images/adsl_splitter_premium.jpg

filter:-

http://www.more-shop.co.uk/images/medium/Z-420UKP2J_MED.png