DSL modem sharing between two computers

if i have two computer network sharing one dsl modem through LAN card and sometimes i need that computer in which modem is not installed do i need to turn on both computers?

I think both should turn on

if both computers are connected thru a Hub switch then u can use net on them individually. but if they are connected directly to each other i.e lan card to lan card then u cannot use net on one pc without turning on the other computer.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

if both computers are connected thru a Hub switch then u can use net on them individually. but if they are connected directly to each other i.e lan card to lan card then u cannot use net on one pc without turning on the other computer.
[/quote]

so what is hub usage and how much it will cost me?

sfarrukh: Hub and Switch are two different things in how they work. In most cases, a Switch is preferable to a hub since the switches have become so much cheaper than before.

sfarrukh: Hub and Switch are two different things in how they work. In most cases, a Switch is preferable to a hub since the switches have become so much cheaper than before.
[/quote]

Yes I know. The thing is that Hub is not available these days, only switches are available. thats why i was referring it the same thing.

so it effectively means these ADSL modems(e.g shiro by ptcl) can be directly connected to a simple small 8 port hub and u can plug pc's in the rst of the ports and it wud work fine, right??? plug n play??

so it effectively means these ADSL modems(e.g shiro by ptcl) can be directly connected to a simple small 8 port hub and u can plug pc’s in the rst of the ports and it wud work fine, right??? plug n play??
[/quote]

yeah if you have dhcp enabled in your modem

not hub but switch