Does GPS need Data Network To Be Turned On?

I do not know how exactly this GPS thing works. Now for instance if I want to check my current location through Maps (Android app) which are available in Pakistan, will I need to turn the GPRS on or the GPS doesn't need it to be turned on?

No, you don't need an internet connection to use your gps on mobile. The gps receives signals from satellites (24 of them are out there circling the earth all the time) and calculates your position on Earth and translates it to the city and street you are currently at

GPS does not need data connection but A-GPS needs it. A-GPS offers quicker lock than GPS.

Google Maps on Android phones are not off-line and need to be downloaded by your phone to show your location, so you will need a data connection.

[quote=“armada, post:2, topic:16311”]

No, you don’t need an internet connection to use your gps on mobile. The gps receives signals from satellites (24 of them are out there circling the earth all the time) and calculates your position on Earth and translates it to the city and street you are currently at

[/quote]

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:, topic:”]

I do not know how exactly this GPS thing works. Now for instance if I want to check my current location through Maps (Android app) which are available in Pakistan, will I need to turn the GPRS on or the GPS doesn’t need it to be turned on?

[/quote]

GPS stands for Global Positioning System. So according to general law, a GPS device have a built in communication system with satellites.

As per your question, it’s typically on mobile devices that are normally used now a days, it’s A-GPS means Assisted Global Positioning System. So in this case you definitely need an internet connection, that can be GPRS, EDGE or WIFI but you need it and that is 100%.

To armada, remove sim from your mobile having A-GPS and turn off wifi, you’ll never come to know your location- even there is a possiblity that it takes you to your last location that is normally saved in cache or some RAM/ROM but when you’ll change your location, it will not change it.

Actually - I read you CAN use GPS w/o connecting to the net, but it will take an awful lot of time to get a lock. Someone said 15 minutes.

AGPS takes only takes some KBs of data - it downloads info from the time servers to be able to connect to the satellites (I don't know the link, but that's what I've read everywhere). Once it has that info, you can connect to satellites w/o data for two or three days - after which, you'd need a data connection.

Btw, when I say data, I mean internet in any form - wifi, cellular etc.

[quote=", post:3, topic:16311"]

GPS does not need data connection but A-GPS needs it. A-GPS offers quicker lock than GPS.

Google Maps on Android phones are not off-line and need to be downloaded by your phone to show your location, so you will need a data connection.

[/quote]

Nope , U won’t . Just open google maps , zoom on to the city you will be visiting , (use wifi) and in the labs setting, tick pre fetch map option , give it 5-10 minutes to load all the map , in depth .

Turn off wifi , close application , and next time u go to the city , just toggle on GPS and open google maps , your that city map will be there, and u won’t require internet connection .

SIMPLE :wub: