sCrIbD.com is a San Francisco startup company changing the way people share documents online. You can think of Scribd as a big online library where everyone can publish original content, including you! Since Scribd launched in March 2007, it has become one of the top 300 websites on the Internet, receiving over 20 million monthly visitors. It has also accumulated over 17 billion words in its library, making it five times the size of Wikipedia.
Think of Scribd as the "YouTube" of documents (and pictures). five favorite benefits of Scribd are as follows:
1. Unlimited document storage and sharing. You decide whether your documents are public or private.
2. Social integration. Like YouTube and Flickr, Scribd allows users to permit viewers to comment on their documents.
3. Organization. Scribd allows users to create folders for storing documents, and also allows users to tag documents as well.
4. Blogging tools. Scribd allows users to link to (e.g., Cleanse the Temple) or even embed their Scribd documents on their own websites (See the embedded document below).
5. iPaper. Scribd frees authors to write their documents in the programs they choose and viewers can read the documents online without any proprietary viewers such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or Adobe Reader (again, see the embedded document below). In fact, Scribd permits users to upload and share documents in the following formats:
doc, docx, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx
odt, odp, sxw, sxi,
pg, png, gif, tiff
also txt format.