Do we need to study Iqbal's works?

Watch it:

Need to? No.

Want to? Maybe.

the way video presented it, PTV style mursia after mursia of iqbal really put me to sleep, talk about factually about iqbal and right on point the way history channel biography program is, this guy keep going like "ye badnaseeb qaum hai kay in ko iqbal ka nahi maaloom" etc , who want to listen this crap.

come on man present it more interesting way so younger generation would take interest in it. SUCH A TURNOFF.

bu the way your youtube link need to edited.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

bu the way your youtube link need to edited.

[/quote]

fixed.

Yeah...in whole show he did not given evidences of Iqbal's ideas....that what is basically behind his poetry....

But he is right too...we don't read his books....like Javednama, and many others....And I even did not know that "Reconstruction of Religious thoughts" is one of his works....I think it is compilation of lectures he gave in different Universities....

Listening 'Kalam-e-Iqbal' by singers = Not recommended

Listening Iqbal's poems by 'mullas' = Not recommended

Understanding Iqbal's message = highly recommended

Tech people are not much interested in Iqbal's work because it is hard for them to concentrate on his philosophical theories besides his real work is in Persian Language.

Watch it:

[/quote]

Yes..

Listening ‘Kalam-e-Iqbal’ by singers = Not recommended

Listening Iqbal’s poems by ‘mullas’ = Not recommended

Understanding Iqbal’s message = highly recommended

Tech people are not much interested in Iqbal’s work because it is hard for them to concentrate on his philosophical theories besides his real work is in Persian Language.

[/quote]

Yes his real work is in Persian language. I would say (no offense) :

Listening ‘Kalam-e-Iqbal’ by singers = Recommended (if you understand it better that way or it pleases you)

Listening Iqbal’s poems by ‘mullas’ = Not recommended (never do it, mullas put their personal point of view or use it as a support for their point of view)

Understanding Iqbal’s message = highly recommended

If Iqbal were alive today, he would have been banned for his jihadi poetry

[/quote]

He would have been allowed… if he gave 10% of all sales as a tribute to the eloquence of the President. :D

[/quote]

He wasn’t banned when he was alive(before formation of Pakistan)…It is not easy to understand the message of any philosopher and poet like Iqbal…

Found this interesting blog about Iqbal:

http://untoldintelligences.blogspot.com/

If the author is right then we can say that only one of his book, "Javidnama" contains such strange and unbelievable things....what the extent of strangeness in others could be...

Does anyone know about this author?

Found this interesting blog about Iqbal:

http://untoldintelligences.blogspot.com/

If the author is right then we can say that only one of his book, “Javidnama” contains such strange and unbelievable things…what the extent of strangeness in others could be…

Does anyone know about this author?

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing. Iqbal speaks on a different wavelength and you need to be at that height to understand him.

Most of us know Iqbal as a political person having a major role in Pakistan Movement. We all know him as a person who convinced Qauid-e-Azam to come back to India and become a leader of moderate Muslims in India. All his effort resulted in formation of Pakistan at later stage.

But let’s know him as a great philosopher of the world. We usually ignore this aspect of this personality.

@Zeeshan

Iqbal was already banned many times by Mullas of that time because of his modern thoughts and strange philosophical theories which mullas were not able to understand.

No doubt he was a great philospher and visionary not only for Muslim world but for the whole world and western world recognizes this fact!

The Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam:

http://allamaiqbal.com/works/prose/english/reconstruction/index.htm

I just read its Preface. After reading it I have decided that I will read his complete lectures.

Some verses of Allama Iqbal from different poems depicting our sorry state, the way out and the free flight of the falcon ---

The mirror of our state

The remedy

The flight

I think most people are intimidated by the

depth of his poetry and philosophy, coupled

with the fact that most of us don't have a

decent grasp of Urdu, let alone Persian.

The time has come for people to put out

annotated, tafseers of his works, just like

they do for Dickens and Shakespeare, to

provide a historical/philosophical context to

the verses and make them widely available,

specially for children and beginners.

That is, if you want to spread the richness

of his timeless message instead of interning

it in dusty libraries.

Sheikh 'Shaheen' Chilli

i personally hate poetry because most of the things /quotes in poetry are irrevelant to a normal guy routine life....poetry is only used to raise the songs standards these days ...i never followed Allama iqbal or any other poet and will never follow..

@ mtrtmk

The English captions to Iqbal's work that you have posted are pathetic. Sorry, but I can't find any decent word to describe it.

"Become a falcon. Become an Eagle" WTF is that? Did anybody who was writing those captions did actually tried to read what Iqbal wrote?

@ Rest of Wannabe Urdu Literature Lovers

If someone of you (especially those who speak Urdu with English accent) can't grasp Urdu then at least get Feroze Sons Urdu to Urdu student pocket dictionary.

Iqbal was good, so did Meer, Ghalib, Hali, and list goes on and on. In contemporary poets, Faiz was good. I don't read poetry of "love". Minus the f****** love poetry from today's poet and you get nothing. That's the biggest problem with contemporary Urdu literature, everybody is just writing for boys and girls. Riksha Chap, Driver Shairi.

I remember that some years back FM 100 (or FM 101) did poll and guess which Urdu poem was on top?

kash main taire hath ka kangana hota

and I was like WTF is the problem with Pakistani people. Living in movies world.

By the way, I also don't read Urdu poetry much (not much left to read and I hate reading "love" poetry).

By the way, if like me, you people don't like poetry then anyone of you know about Urdu's first (earliest) novel? If so then how many of you actually read it? :D

Let's see how many people know about it :D

P.S. ... and stop doing Google search or asking from anyone else. Reply the honest answer. Allah is watching and He will catch you for cheating on Judgment Day.

P.S.S. Literature is more than textbooks and Tekan + GTA + Email + MSN + Yahoo + IRC (that's comprise Pakistani Youth :D )

P.S.S.S. I know, I am harsh in this post but that's the reality of current Pakistani generation.

What is Iqbal trying to say in these lines under the (above posted :)) caption: Love of World, Lack of Spirit:

Samajh rahe hain wo europe ko hum jawar apna,

Sitare jin ke nasheeman se hain ziada qareeb.