Disk is Write Protected...i am unable to Format my 16GB USB

Dear Friends

i am using a Transcent 16GB USB, all of a sudden i cannot delete any thing from it. i tried almost every method to format it but still no result.... i even tired the Transcend Repair Utility but noting....

So can any body help me in this regard......

Looking forward for your replies ...

right click it and check if usb aint used in a network share or if the content is write protected. Also check (group policy )gpedit.exe what settings it has for usb

i m using windows 7 ...i am unable to open gpedit.exe..........

Sorry my bad, its gpedit.msc

gpedit.msc will not work in Windows 7 Home Edition as their is no group policy editor in this version.

Mention your operating system also.

thats a virus in the flash drive which has made the flash drive WRITE PROTECT . you cant format / delete in the flash drive . chances are that you need to throw away this flash drive and buy a new one as chances are very low that you will un-protect the drive . if you made it please do share with us too . i also have 16 gb flash drive which is useless for me bcz of the same virus thing.

try partition magic for paragon partition manager

nothing is useful ! have tried making partitions on this too ! its saying cant format / cant make partitions / cant delete partition(s) the disk is write protected.

--

Transcend usb comes with a 10 year warranty. Claim it.

use ubuntu to perform this action buddy. even if you dont want to use it, just put its cd in pc, launch it without installing and do whatever u want to do.

Go to cmd

Go to the usb drive on cmd, and type attrib -r-a-s-h *.*

Then type dir /ah

Search for malicious files and then delete them. Make sure the net is off.

If problem persists and the virus existed in other folders within drive then apply above on each folder

Two solutions (which I would have followed):

1. boot into ubuntu (use a live CD or any other way you prefer), put in you flash drive and format it

2. Make a Bootable GParted CD or Flash Drive, and boot into GParted, plug in your 16GB USB Flash Drive, and delete any partitions on it, and make 1 new partiton.

I am not sure what you people are talking about. Is there a way to partition a flash drive? I dont think so unless you declare it as a hard drive in windows. So the question of making or breaking the partition is out of the way.

@Nadeem

You're from Karachi, right? bring it to me & I'll have a look at it for free :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am not sure what you people are talking about. Is there a way to partition a flash drive? I dont think so unless you declare it as a hard drive in windows. So the question of making or breaking the partition is out of the way.

@Nadeem

You’re from Karachi, right? bring it to me & I’ll have a look at it for free :)

[/quote]

There is as some of the user mentioned. You can treat any of your pen drive as an external HD. Just go with the UBuntu method it should work.

There is as some of the user mentioned. You can treat any of your pen drive as an external HD. Just go with the UBuntu method it should work.

[/quote]

I’ve already mentioned that method in my post

unless you declare it as a hard drive in windows.

[/quote]

But its not really a method so to speak because you can only view the partitions on that particular machine where you’ve declare the flash disk as hard drive, you can’t go on editing the registry and updating the driver on every single PC on which you’ve inserted your flash, its not practical.

@ unlettered

please let me know the address or cell number ?

@ unlettered

please let me know the address or cell number ?

[/quote]

Check out your email.

i am using a Transcent 16GB USB
[/quote]

hmm… i don’t particularly know about your model though, i read all the comments everybody is talking about software end but nobody mentioned that many usb flash got physical write protect switch… did you check your usb flash for that

write-protect-USB-flash.png

Try to format the drive from command prompt. You can also check your BIOS settings and your OS Windows 7 Security settings. Try to format from Windows Xp. It may be virus problem. for that scan flash drive with updated anti virus.