Dish tv / tata sky along with FTA dish

Cable tv in my area sucks...so I am thinking of installing a dish. I need to know:

1. What are the things I must check while buying a dish?

2. Which is better (and cheaper)b/w dish tv and tata sky?

3. What kind of receiver should I get or FTA chanels (there are cheap ones as well as expensive ones available). What is the difference?

Thanks in advance

Well i have recently got installed Tatasky HD at my home and i can surely say its quality is awsome for HD channels and for good for other digital channels. So i will say go for tatsky as its quality is far better than dish tv. As for price there isn't much difference at max it will be Rs.200 higher per month. As for FTA i haven't used it yet so can't give you much information

Your cable TV sucks in which way, less indian channels or poor quality?

First thing you need to know installing dish antenna is not an alternative to cable.

Second, a single dish can not give you everything you want.

If you want indian channels plus some english ones, then you can go for any indian DTH service provider and your problem will be solved. Cheaper is Dish TV and better is Tata.

But if you want pakistani channels aswell, then its gonna be a headache.

does anyone know of a place in karachi that offers the dishtv/tatsky services?

[quote=“ShuAK, post:3, topic:14971”]

Your cable TV sucks in which way, less indian channels or poor quality?

First thing you need to know installing dish antenna is not an alternative to cable.

Second, a single dish can not give you everything you want.

If you want indian channels plus some english ones, then you can go for any indian DTH service provider and your problem will be solved. Cheaper is Dish TV and better is Tata.

But if you want pakistani channels aswell, then its gonna be a headache.

[/quote]

Cable tv has poor quality and I am dealing with it for 2 years now :( , if it were ok then why would I bother to spend more than 300 per month for tv…except for a few channels (like hum tv, geo news and star plus)all the chanells are unwatchable. I know my tv is ok.

And how much per month tata sky costs you?

^^^If those are the few channels you are interested in, then you can also go for DWN (Digital Wireless Network) a wireless cable tv network, if you live in one of these 4 cities i.e Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad and Rwalpindi. DWN

Otherwise you gonna need a single dish setup with 2 lnbs and 2 receivers (one for FTA pakistani channels and other for dish tv). It'll cost you roughly the same as DWN.

Dish tv monthly is Rs.400, tata costs bit more but i dont know exactly how much coz i dont have it. Visit your nearest elec market.

what is Digital Wireless Network ?? can anyone tell me pls.

There is a link of their official site in my above post. Here is some intro form it:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
DWN (Digital Wireless Network) is the largest service provider of visual content in Pakistan, owned and operated by Southern Networks Limited, providing a host of digital satellite channels to its subscribers, without any kind of breaks and interruptions. Our state of the art wireless broadcasting system transmits your favorite TV programmes in crystal clear digital quality. In addition to high resolution picture, DWN gives you digital stereo sound too, so that enjoying music and movies becomes whole new experience. Our transmission services are available in Karachi, Lahore & Islamabad/Rawalpindi (and their suburbs).
[/quote]

http://dwn.com.pk/

Ok, I have installed Dish tv and FTA Pakistani channels now. The whole package costed Rs. 11800 (excluding installation and wire). There is a single dish (4' dia) on which 1 LNB of C band is connected for FTA Pakistani (asia sat 3s) and one KU band LNB for dish tv. Results are very, very good :D

Good for you bro. :) eenjoy.....

[quote=“saadishahid, post:9, topic:14971”]

Ok, I have installed Dish tv and FTA Pakistani channels now. The whole package costed Rs. 11800 (excluding installation and wire). There is a single dish (4’ dia) on which 1 LNB of C band is connected for FTA Pakistani (asia sat 3s) and one KU band LNB for dish tv. Results are very, very good :D

[/quote]

What is its monthly cost my friend?

[quote=“ShuAK, post:6, topic:14971”]

^^^If those are the few channels you are interested in, then you can also go for DWN (Digital Wireless Network) a wireless cable tv network, if you live in one of these 4 cities i.e Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad and Rwalpindi. DWN

Otherwise you gonna need a single dish setup with 2 lnbs and 2 receivers (one for FTA pakistani channels and other for dish tv). It’ll cost you roughly the same as DWN.

Dish tv monthly is Rs.400, tata costs bit more but i dont know exactly how much coz i dont have it. Visit your nearest elec market.

[/quote]

How is DWN? Sounds interesting, and prices are decent. Worthwhile? I want to get a wireless or satellite connection as my cable tv connection is often down.

[quote=“shakeeb, post:2, topic:14971”]

Well i have recently got installed Tatasky HD at my home and i can surely say its quality is awsome for HD channels and for good for other digital channels. So i will say go for tatsky as its quality is far better than dish tv. As for price there isn’t much difference at max it will be Rs.200 higher per month. As for FTA i haven’t used it yet so can’t give you much information

[/quote]

Who did you get Tatasky HD installed from? Whats the cost?

Im from lahore and last month when i bought it, it did cost me 10.5ks total including all installation, box and 2 months free recharge. However i believe i was lucky to get it in such good price as it was extremely short in market than. I can give you the number of the seller if you are interested, he has shop at Hall Road. Currently it was 7 HD channels naming as Star Plus, Star Gold, Star Movies, Star World, Nat Geo HD, Discovery HD world and any sports event based channel such as Star sports HD or Ten cricket HD. As for quality it is awsome, recomanded for those having HD Tv.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

How is DWN? Sounds interesting, and prices are decent. Worthwhile? I want to get a wireless or satellite connection as my cable tv connection is often down.
[/quote]

Nothing new, just re-named

Shaheen pay Tv --> Sun TV --> DWN

Its was good in old days, but now its a headache (sharing my experiance)

After installation of Dish TV, what are you doing for Pakistani channels..?

Have you installed a separate dish for that..?

Do let me know!

I think he's using one dish of 8or6 feet.

6 or 8 feet dish can easily give from 85E to 105.5E.

For Pakistani channels he may have got some FTA receiver. Now he's having 3 remotes.

1. TV

2. DTH receiver

3. FTA receiver

Some people used to claim that they can make work DTH's receiver to get Pakistani channels but that method can only ruin the box.

Except Dawn news, Express news,Dunya News there is no remarkable Pakistani channel which are not on Asiasat3s 105.5E.

^So channels such as GEO, Hum and ARY are available..?

^yeh

you will have to use any FTA receiver for that.

Remember Geo TV, Gep Super dpn't open on any FTA box.