Disadvantages of ONU Network

ONU Network also called fibre optic network is very un-reliable network of PTCL.

as i m using it from 8 months i m facing a very bad problem with it.

it losts the connectivity.

eveyday it gives me [PPP down] error.

so in short if anyone is using ONU network then he will face the username and password authentication failure issue.

and this issue also makes your telephone dead for about 6 to 7 hours.

when the PPPoE server get refresh then your net will be ON

and the modem will be able to detect the IP ADDRESS.

what is this problem, which thing is hanging after every 6 to 7 hours ???????

i m trying to find out this from last several months.

as u pplz know PTCL staff is very very un-co operative they are not helping me.

now i decide to change my network from ONU to Copper.

thats the only thing i can do to make my internet 24 hours connected.

its my humble request to all the users of this forum i they are on ONU network then plz do a little review of ONU network regarding to connectivity.

and let me know are you pplz also facing this issue.

Thanks

no problem so far..

on copper,u will face a lot of de-sync problems while on ONU,I havent faced any problem yet!!!

The ONU network is not to blame. It is the incompetent safarishi PTCL staff who is at fault.

i didnt say modem un-sync

no sync problem i have ever faced

but it losts the connectivity.

means there is some problem when modem tries to detec a new ip.

PPPoE authentication Problem.

and if this problem occurs then your telephone will also becomes dead. and you have to wait 6- 7 hours.......

ADSL Led always ON but INTERNET LED remains off when theis PPPoE error occurs.

i will make some screenshot to show my problem in detail.

@dogarsahab

by the way what is ur default gateway on ONU????

I am also facing similar problem. Couple of weeks ago PTCL finally replaced batteries (after 5 months of complaining) and internet worked fine for a week and then i started to get authentication problems, DSL line on modem remains stable but internet does not work. On modem's control[web] panel page it show Internet -> disconnected and DS/US -> 4096/1021. It usually solves itself in few minutes. When i try bride mode, it times out when dialing.

ONU (4M) is still lot more reliable than copper (1M) which keeps disconnecting once or twice per hour.

@[saaD]

What is ur Exchange name?

i mean which area u live in ?

by the way my line is patched on 6MB coz i am also using IPTV.

are you also using IPTV?

yes i agrees you ONU is better than copper but i noticed 1 disadvantage of ONU that this system worked on batteries. thats why i make this thread.

PPPoE authentication problem is really a pain of my head now.

i m complaining abt this problem from last few months but nothing is happening.

some peoples at the help line told me that my port gets hang at the exchange thats why i m facing this telephone dead and internet disconnected problem.

God knows better what is the solution of this.

but the bottom line is this.

GHOSTS make the network of PTCL

i didnt find any responsible in the whole PTCL staff who solves some basic problem of DSL.

sometimes i amazed when they dont know these types of problems then how did they make this large network????

again God knows better

I think this is the same problem which other people are facing in Karachi. Due to long load shedding batteries take a lot of time for charging and that's why people suffering.

I am one of fortuntes then , on ONU without any problems. (btw location dha phase 2 ext)

I'm on copper. I was also facing this problem and my internet was not working since Sunday although DSL light was stable. Finally, my net is working now after complaining again and again for 5 days.

The Major disadvantage of ONU is that you can't have SmartTV on it... I got a new line only for this purpose and they gave me ONU :(

My exchange is like more than 4km away, gulshan exchange. I wana get my exchange changed.

My modem de-syncs coz I get a constant high attenuation of 63db which is v high and is causing problem.

On ONU does attenuation matters coz the data transfer is lightening fast! so my modem de-sync prob would be solved if i get ONU on an already FAR away exchange???

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

My exchange is like more than 4km away, gulshan exchange. I wana get my exchange changed.

My modem de-syncs coz I get a constant high attenuation of 63db which is v high and is causing problem.

On ONU does attenuation matters coz the data transfer is lightening fast! so my modem de-sync prob would be solved if i get ONU on an already FAR away exchange???

[/quote]

Getting the exchange changed might be difficult since PTCL likely relies on zoning to ensure certain areas are covered only by specific exchanges. If they started to allow interleaving, it would create a logistical nightmare for PTCL. As for ONU, I believe one needs to be close to the exchange to be able to support this - you might need to confirm.

Getting the exchange changed might be difficult since PTCL likely relies on zoning to ensure certain areas are covered only by specific exchanges. If they started to allow interleaving, it would create a logistical nightmare for PTCL. As for ONU, I believe one needs to be close to the exchange to be able to support this - you might need to confirm.

[/quote]

That means that my attenuation will always remain high as long as I live in the current location… Dude, that’s freakin bad luck… Since 2007 when i first got dsl, i have been having this problem. I seem to be the one whose at the valence edge of the gulshan exchange not anywhere in the middle, can my closest exchange(gulzar-e-hijri) still serve me any good? I am desperate coz now it has reache the limit of my patience… constant de-syncs, dis connectivity, please suggest some good measures to get my exchange changed…

On ONU, distance from the exchange doesn't matter. Get a new ONU line.

@ Raajpoot

REally, then today i am the happiest person on earth! I hope this will solve my problem!

Since June 1 2009, ONU have problem for PTCL DSL browsing. Garden TOwn Exchange pplz said they dont know until when it wl be back in working, same issue happened also after COnfkier attack.

Good lucks to all

@ Raajpoot

REally, then today i am the happiest person on earth! I hope this will solve my problem!

[/quote]

@ super … yeah its true on onu distance is nt the issue.

for me the biggest disadvantage is that if somehow your dsl didnt worked or somehow you are not satisfied with PTCL service … then you dont have any other alternative other then sticking PTCL for you whole life :) mean other ISPs cant offer DSL on ONU line other then PTCL

@dogarsahab

by the way what is ur default gateway on ONU???

[/quote]

dfeault gateway on ONU…couldnt get that…

otherwise,default gateway is:

@onlyeuro

Johar Town Exchange

I am using 4mbps [no IPTV]. I have not had any disconnection in last 42 hours so i hope the problem is over.

When i called 1218 last week, i got two different replies, "all ONU numbers in your area are facing this problem" and "Your port is hanged"