Disabled the WorldCall EVDO on our Network

Dear all,

Please someone guide me about to disabled the using of EVDO device on our network. According to our network policy we want to disallow this device. Please guide me how we can do that.

with regards,

Restrict the people with policy.....not with force.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Dear all,

Please someone guide me about to disabled the using of EVDO device on our network. According to our network policy we want to disallow this device. Please guide me how we can do that.

with regards,

[/quote]

Disable EVDO on your “network”. What that suppose to mean? What “network” you are talking about?

EVDO device connect to ISP. “According to our network policy we want to disallow this device.” How your “network” come between user’s EVDO device and their ISP?

I don’t get your questions.

I think what they mean is that how do they disable EVDO devices from getting hooked onto the computer so that employees in their organization don't use EVDO for surfing the web (which ultimately means bypassing the filters, thereby reducing productivity - which is disputable as there is no research that leads to a definitive conclusion that by enforcing filters, you will increase workers productivity, which pretty much resorts back to atifsiddiqui's point)

NOW THAT WAS VERBOSE!:P

hire a couple of guys to roam around and keep an eye on the workers perhaps???

Yes there are many companies which have limitation in their network for their employees regarding the use of internet.

and when some one uses EVDO he just gets beyond the network policies and restrictions. because he is using his personal internet connection now via EVDO.

Am I right nasir.khan?

if yes then this is really perfect crack down of a network Huhhhhh!

dont you think guys there should also be a jamming device in that network zone :)

mmmmm :/

I think disabling USB access parameters for a user in a domain network will satisfy your needs (I am not sure about it because I am not a network guy but if it's domain networking then I think there would be a policy of using USB of a desktop restriction for a specific user in that network)

I think what they mean is that how do they disable EVDO devices from getting hooked onto the computer so that employees in their organization don’t use EVDO for surfing the web (which ultimately means bypassing the filters, thereby reducing productivity - which is disputable as there is no research that leads to a definitive conclusion that by enforcing filters, you will increase workers productivity, which pretty much resorts back to atifsiddiqui’s point)

NOW THAT WAS VERBOSE!:P

[/quote]

If that is the case then strip search everyone when they are coming to office. :lol: Like in diamond mines :lol:

If I am employee of such place, I’ll try my best to bypass all the filters and get EVDO devices into office even if I don’t need one :lol:

Refraining from something make it fun challenges

^ As most EVDO devices are USB based one method could be that the usb ports for the computers be disabled

^ As most EVDO devices are USB based one method could be that the usb ports for the computers be disabled
[/quote]

Not possible as it will disable flash drives too :D. Restriction on installing hardware drivers can work.

If it is that well established an organization, they wont need any flash drives. they are already banned in most large networks

Anyway, I believe ur best bet is to disable usb ports and set up a couple of terminals with USB support for flash drive business. Also if all your users have restricted access, they wont be able to install drivers for evdo

Where is this office? This so call "network". I'll smuggle EVDO devices into that office :P This will be fun challenge :P

Similarly, I really hate when some banks and institutes have policy to turn off cellphones. My usual response is "shove it in your a** you Nazi". This is my property and law allow me all rights to use it where ever I want it to use it. :D

Draconian Laws. People with BDSM fetish make such rules.

^and then what if the company owner says the same to its employee that

"This computer is the property of this office you can not use it in your own way".....

this implies to every one I think. and every one has the right to use their stuff but being within the defined policy parameters.

a company pays me for my job, not for this stuff to use in office. yes my company offers us that we have to complete a task in given time frame after then what else we do doesn't matter to them. but I think every company has its own rules and regulations.

I have to agree the terms and conditions with that company before starting that job.

Yes you are right when it comes to the prevention of mobile phones in banks and blah blah blah. but every one in pakistan just tries to secure him self as fully as he can.

Using a jammer can work... but only if it jams a specific set of frequencies. Not otherwise.

Wampyr - I'm with you (into sneaking in the EVDO gizmo into the organization... it's what we call the revolutionary movement :P)

But otherwise - disabling USB ports will undoubtly disable flash disks too. And where does it say that "good organizations don't use flash drives"? Flash drives are flash drives - heck, my dad uses them too (and he's in a senior position). I'd go for disabling hardware installation... but then - there are other implications for doing such things (refer to an decent HR guidebook, and you'll know how to translate this "yada yada yada" that I'm going on about)

That's easy. Put Elfy/super-glue/epoxy in all USB cables. Fill the whole port. To be sure that nobody will ever be able to use USB flash or EVDO device again :lol:

Security, take these men out of our premises :P

^very destructive :o

^ but cheap too! XD

^ and affective too. It will work to be sure :)

^ also it'll be very expensive for the owner later on :)

^ To get something you have to sacrifice something.

To be sure to force each employee to stop using EVDO device (or USB devices in general) employer need to take drastic steps.

Disable the USB on the motherboards, or disable the installing of new hardware.

The latter can be done by making up user accounts and NOT granting the account privileage to install or change any hardware. Windows has that option.

A CDMA signal blocker will also work, though more expensive, the above will only take a bit of time (depending on amount of PCs)