Digital Cable Encryption / CAS (Cable Access System) in Pakistan

Dear experts, I want to know about encryption used by local digital cable operator in Pakistan. Also what happens when there is encryption or CAS (Cable Access System) implemented by operator. Do we receive black screen with no access logo or we do not receive any channel?

Reason for this is my personal experience.

My local operator in Lahore started digital service recently and is charging Rs 550 /month for digital cable as compared with Rs 350 / month for analogue cable. I bought digital setup box from local Market.

http://www.jie-xun.com/en/Product_Show.asp?ID=69

I tried full scan at different QAM, but no result. I am using default symbol rate 8765. During scanning, setup box showed something on signal strength bar but no channel.

In this setup box, there is also one smart card. Does no channel mean cable operator is using CAS (Cable Access System) or it means signal strength is less? Or cable operator is using some different symbol rate.

I even tried to find signal strength using signal strength function on those particular frequencies, but no result. I also manually scanned those particular frequencies with no success.

Any info from experts is appreciated. Thanks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Does no channel mean cable operator is using CAS (Cable Access System) or it means signal strength is less?
[/quote]

Both the things are quite possible.

It would be better to consult the shopkeeper from where you purchased. They know about the local cable walas policy. I asked a shopkeeper and he said yet they haven’t introduced CAS but in future they will surely implement coz none of us likes to pay Rs.300 more.

Thanks for quick response.

Shopkeeper had no idea regarding CAS by cable operator.

What is the minimum signal strength required for receiving channel through digital cable system? Means 30%, 40% or 50% etc.

Also if Cable operator is using CAS, then do we receive channel with black screen (with no access logo) or do not receive any channel (scanning does not find channels)? Anyone experience

CAS = conditional access = encryption. Maybe if you ask him about encryption or "smart card encryption", he'll spill something out.

IRDETO is common - bt it's been hacked.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Dear experts, I want to know about encryption used by local digital cable operator in Pakistan. Also what happens when there is encryption or CAS (Cable Access System) implemented by operator. Do we receive black screen with no access logo or we do not receive any channel?

Reason for this is my personal experience.

My local operator in Lahore started digital service recently and is charging Rs 550 /month for digital cable as compared with Rs 350 / month for analogue cable. I bought digital setup box from local Market.

I tried full scan at different QAM, but no result. I am using default symbol rate 8765. During scanning, setup box showed something on signal strength bar but no channel.

In this setup box, there is also one smart card. Does no channel mean cable operator is using CAS (Cable Access System) or it means signal strength is less? Or cable operator is using some different symbol rate.

I even tried to find signal strength using signal strength function on those particular frequencies, but no result. I also manually scanned those particular frequencies with no success.

Any info from experts is appreciated. Thanks

[/quote]

go into setup menu and select auto tuning

put frequency minimum 46 mhz

put maximum 860 mhz

and put the symbolrate 6875

i am sure you will get some channels

btw how much have you bought the stb for just wants to know the idea in lahore market

also let me know your cable operators name i can manage to get the correct parameters to tune the stb from my sources

Thanks for detailed techncial reply.

I did auto scanning form 50Mhz to 900Mhz with default symbol rate of 6875 at 64QAM and 128QAM respectively, but no success

I have cable connection from Trisatr Cable Network, wapda Town, Lahore and bought this receiver for RS 3500 from Hall Road, Lahore.

Rs 350/month for analogue cable and Rs 550/month for digital cable

put minimum 47.25 and 855.25 maximum and search auto with NIT option ON NIT= network information table try with 256 qam as well cause some operators use 256 qam in order to put more digital channels on 1 frequency also change the symbolrate to 6900 keep on hunting i am sure you would be able to get the channels but it all depends if they are not scrambled even though if it is as u said u have the card with the stb but the stb CAS should match the CAS in headend if not then u have to have the stb which headend operator is supplying.

in short you should be able to download the channels if the parameters are correct and if its scrambled then it would say no access

In my setup box, there is no option of NIT. However, I am searching with 256 QAM and different symbol rate

Also if Cable Operator is using CAS or any sort of encryption, will setup box download channel details (may be with access denied logo in case of encryption) or not?

it should download the channels if the parameters are correct either scrambled or not

wait till tomorrow i would try my level best to get the info for u

One thing you should keep in your mind, no matter if channels are encrypted or not, they must be tuned. If they are FTA you'll see picture but if they are encrypted you won't see and hear the channel but you'll get a msg onscreen stating "No right"or "Scrambled channel" or "No access" etc etc. so clear it out of your head that CAS has anything to do with tuning. channels must be tuned if you are getting good signal.

Second most of the cable ops are using UHF band for digital channels starting from 450MHz something to 860MHz. also check your last analoge channel's frequency and check signal strength after that in your receiver.

Third better to visit your cable wala office and check their digital receiver and note down parameters.

Thanks for making things clear for me

Does anyone have the same digital cable Setup box as mine? If yes, I need a little help

Is there any Info about Card

Dear Urbanplanner..

I think that there's digital service avaiable in lahore and their name is i think Regal Star Cable Network and they are using CAS also they provide STB and Smart card for users and they Card Abt 500/- for Both Digital and Analog service as welll.they are providing 100 channels on Digital and 100 on Analog. as u buy STB from local market i Suggest you to buy Digital Box from Provider either wasted money in all other stupid things...