Difference between 3 antenna and single antenna wifi router

i m planing on buying a wifi router. what is difference between the two. does it have any affect on passing signal through walls. my main concern is passing signal through walls.

Single antenna versions are usually for 802.11b/g. IIRC, three antenna versions (MIMO) is for newer standards such as 802.11n, etc.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Single antenna versions are usually for 802.11b/g. IIRC, three antenna versions (MIMO) is for newer standards such as 802.11n, etc.
[/quote]

he has technically summed it all…“N routers” are more powerful(3antennas) their signal penetration is more…ranging in 400Mbps not like the extended 108Mbps…radially it will provide better strength with max speed…!

A correction Wifi N is 300Mbps Max not 400. Actual speed is in the range of 90 to 160Mbps. I think you shouldn't be that much concerned with the range. I have got a a Tplink 741N router and it's placed something like 200+ feets across the road and I still get good enough signals.

passing through walls. that is my main concern. not distance. because router will be placed about 50 ft away from my laptop. but there are going to be 2 or 3 walls. that is what i want to know

I'm also talking about 3-4 walls in this 200+ distance. Just get the single antenna one, no need to spend extra money on 10 marla or 1 kanal(yes Hafeez center people ask you such questions) router :P

lol. thanks yousaf

If one is more technically competent, one can use a patch or Yagi for more directional penetration instead of the common low gain omni antennas.

If one is more technically competent, one can use a patch or Yagi for more directional penetration instead of the common low gain omni antennas.
[/quote]

It’s easier to implement if you get a detachable antenna router.

^ Easier.. yes. But one can just open up the router and directly solder appropriate shielded RF cable to the antenna points/pads.

What about attaching an external anteena to a router on roof top?

thanks all. have bought tplink wr740n.

thanks all. have bought tplink wr740n.
[/quote]

Mine is 741N. Do get it flashed with ddwrt if possible. Do post your signal results using this http://www.vistumbler.net/

^ Easier… yes. But one can just open up the router and directly solder appropriate shielded RF cable to the antenna points/pads.
[/quote]

It takes quite a heart to open your $ 150 router and solder the antenna for a amateur like me.

Anyway here are few examples

External antenna mod for E3000

Buffalo WHR-G300N Antenna Mod

@ yousaf

what is getting if flashed. please inform me. they gave mini disk with it. i installed it. is it doing any thing else?

^flashing means updating the firmware

^flashing means updating the firmware
[/quote]

thanks

@ yousaf

what is getting if flashed. please inform me. they gave mini disk with it. i installed it. is it doing any thing else?

[/quote]

That disk might network setup utility. If you need extra feature just go with the current setup.

when i use it with my phone it disconnects too often. once disconnected it cannot find network